1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So I stumbled upon this slab of mahogany..

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by elams1894, Jun 3, 2012.

1. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Well.. yeah a funny thing happened to me just the other day.. ha ha yeah I wish

2. axedaddy

axedaddy Tele-Afflicted

Your killing me....lets see video #3!!!!:p:p:p

3. Pete McC

Pete McC Tele-Meister

Usually with build videos I get a bit bored watching the standard processes and templates, your videos are great, totally unique and very well filmed. The idea of building a one piece Les Paul would terrify most people never mind one without a whole workshop full of cnc equipment! I love the idea of binding the fingerboard with the neck wood, very different. and the woods look great, your attention to detail is great and I can only assume you have shares in the double sided tape company! lol You've certainly inspired me to tackle my next build differently. Looking forward to part 3! :)

4. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Thanks Pete, ha yes double sided tape - without doubt the most handy thing in my tool kit. A decent router and double sided tape... the worlds your oyster! Considering the amount it costs I really should be buying shares.. nice

5. JCJCJC

JCJCJC Tele-Holic

Fantastic build, really enjoying it. You are an inspiration to all builders who don't have the full Norm Abrams' toolkit. You are NZ's answer to Scatterlee I think! I hope you are planning to put absolutely top-class pickups on this.

Regards

JC

6. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Thanks JC. Funny you should mention actually (about the pickups). Yes the pick ups will be pretty unique. I have been making pickups for sometime now (you will laugh long and hard at my incredibly high tech pickup winder, but it works better than anything iv used) and its been really bugging me lately how user un-friendly those little plastic humbucker bobbins are. Its got to the point where I simply must do something about it and Iv decided to make my own custom bobbins. Has anyone else wondered why there hasn't been a better bobbin out there or is it just me?

Seen as my guitar is made from 1 piece of wood, I really like the idea of 1-piece bobbins. Seemed fairly straight forward to me in theory, but the more i thought about it the more complicated it became. Aint that just the way. Never the less I have come up with a plan for a template that should work (should). I have some photos lying around that I'll post of my pickup bobbin plan.

7. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Here are a couple photos of my bobbin plan. Sorry about the fuzziness but you get the idea. One photo is a rough sketch of the bobbin obviously and the other is a jig design. I'll give it crack anyhow and let you know how it goes.

Attached Files:

8. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Here is my state of the art pick up winder, international patents apply. I'm not sure if the world is ready for this kind of technology.

Comes with ultra slow winding capability... and thats about all really

As a side note, and this is 100% true, there was an exhibit in Te papa (The National Museum of New Zealand) of a piece of the exact carpet shown in this photo. It was listed as 'Kiwiana'. That is 100% true! I love the 70's!

Attached Files:

9. jeremyb

jeremyb Tele-Meister

10. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Good to see you using a respirator when you're working with the paua. Stuff'll kill ya.

11. ModerneGuy

ModerneGuy Tele-Holic

Ha, love that carpet! As an aside, when we first bought the house we're currently in (about 16 years ago) the previous owners left behind a rug/wall hanging of Lake Taupo ...probably from the 70s too. The colours have faded a bit but there was no way I could throw it out - too kitsch!

Also, I too was thinking only this afternoon about how double-sided tape would be in my personal list of most useful inventions of the 20th Century. I have no idea what I'd do without it. Looking forward to part iii of the video. Cheers.

12. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Cool, thanks for that Jeremy. I'll get a login sorted too.

Cheers.
    G

13. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Indeed, can't let that stuff into the lungs. Same with the carbon. I used to work carbon fibre in a previous life and man that stuff is brutal! Matai gets me the most though. One sanding pass and I'm sneezing the rest of the day.

14. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Awesome! That is super cool!

15. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Not too far to go now. Here are some progress photos so far. Got the shellac on and French polished. Onto the pickups, knobs and wiring.

3rd video not too far away.

Attached Files:

16. elams1894

elams1894 Tele-Meister

Just a couple more pics

Attached Files:

17. Holyoli

Holyoli Tele-Meister

The neck/body transition is beautiful !

18. evanrw

evanrw TDPRI Member

Just beautiful.

19. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, that's simply gorgeous. Can't wait for part 3.

20. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

That is one fantastic looking guitar!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.