So I scored a cool old hofner the other day

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by waster, Mar 27, 2011.

1. waster

waster Tele-Holic

Just wanted to show off my old hofner. I bought it off trademe, our New Zealand equivilent to ebay, about a month ago.

Seems that it is a 457s from late 50s. It is pretty rough and has a few holes in it, damaged neck at some stage, and unfortunately the bridge and tailpiece are not original. Nor was the ugly pickguard that it had, but I removed that straight away.

I kinda would have liked it to have had the original bridge and tailpiece but I don't mind at all how rough it is.

It has a great dirty tone and I am loving it. Nearly wearing my fingers out with the high action and baseball bat neck but it is cool.

[​IMG]

2. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

Wow that thing's beautiful. I've seen a couple of old Hofner's popping up around the internet and noticing some bands playing them (The Kills for instance) and I'm really starting to dig em. I don't know if I'd be able to keep myself from throwing a bigsby and some dirty pickups in that thing and rockin' and rollin' but I'm sure it sounds fantastic as is right now. Man... I really want one of those things.

3. waster

waster Tele-Holic

I am toying with the idea of a pickup, seems that they came out exactly like this but with a pickup included, and also they make not bad electrics for the same reason they make not great acoustics, plenty mid and treble and not much bass.
    As for bigsby I am not a fan.
    Thanks for the tip about the kills, I will check them out.

4. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I had one of those in Germany in 1961.
    [​IMG]

5. waster

waster Tele-Holic

Wow that pic is cool, been looking for pics of them so thanks a lot for that.

Any idea what you paid for it back then?

6. waster

waster Tele-Holic

If anyone has any good suggestions for a good pickup suited for this feel free to let me know. I play mostly blues so something suitable for blues would be cool. I know pickups etc come down to personal preference but some advice would be cool.

7. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

That style of guitar used to be quite popular. Lots of companies offered them. Some companies even made pickup kits for them. I have such a set complete with two pickguard-mounted pickups and controls that would just slide under the strings an install with 2 or 3 screws.

Never got to try it, but it looks really cool.

8. frpax

frpax Tele-Meister

If you don't mind drilling holes into a nice vintage guitar, then definitely add the pickup!

A dog-ear P90 comes to mind right off the bat. Seymour Duncan Antiquity, or a Fralin or a Lollar wold be excellent choices.

Man, that is one cool old axe, though!

9. waster

waster Tele-Holic

Thanks, I am loving it.

Was thinking of double sided tape for attaching the pickup to avoid more holes in it. It is nowhere near pristine anyway so couple of holes to join all the rest won't matter too much.

10. frpax

frpax Tele-Meister

If it were me, I'd drill it.

Double sided tape strong enough to hold a pickup will also likely take any finish off. Plus you'll have to wire up a volume and tone pot, as well as an output jack.

11. sacizob

sacizob Friend of Leo's

I honestly can't remember, money didn't mean that much back then. I would have paid for it in Deutchmarks.

12. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

tune it to open E and get a slide. you'll love it!!

13. Merscury

Merscury TDPRI Member

Nice looking 457, original tailpiece & bridge are readily available on ebay, as for a pickup to save drilling holes in that top I'd go for a suspended or floating pickup. back in the day Schaller or Ideal pickups were commonly added to these models, I'm a great fan of Hofners, See below.

PS, Sacizob, Your archop was a Framus not Hofner, still made in Germany tho.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  14. waster

waster Tele-Holic

Yeah already doing that, but mostly open g. Great fun

15. waster

waster Tele-Holic

Fair enough, I paid NZ$170 for mine, about US$125

16. waster

waster Tele-Holic

Wish you hadn't put those pics on there, now I want a hofner bass as well, didn't know they existed

17. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

Cool guitar, waster! Is that a Gibson tune-o-matic type bridge on your Hofner? Each string individually adjustable for intonation?

I just got my first archtop recently. It's a Dean Palomino, dimensionally almost identical to a Gibson ES-175, but with three single-coil P-90 type pickups and a 5-way PU switch like a Strat. I found this one on Craigslist. I didn't manage as low a price as you did, but the Palomino doesn't have any holes in it, so I guess that's reasonable!

-Gnobuddy

18. waster

waster Tele-Holic

Yeah similar to tune o matic and yeah individually adjustable. Pretty keen on just one pickup because I think that is what the originals came out with. Almost settled that I will put a p90 on it, for a start anyway

19. LeBluescaster

LeBluescaster TDPRI Member

Knowing me I'd electrify that thing. Sweet geet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.