1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So I played a JTM45

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guran, Mar 19, 2019.

1. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Great amp..kt66 goodness..& killer lead channel...

2. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

There are some other amps from marshall that are sneaky good at everything before the saturated sound that people associate with them.

The JTM60s have a bad reputation, but they are super on the non-distortion channel. I tried to get one last year, but the person who sold it to me shipped it in a box with no padding and it arrived non-functional. Still trying to figure out what to do with it as the cabinet and speakers are OK, but the whole pre-and power amp section and all of the knobs are smashed.

For folks who have played the vintage JTM45s (i know they're a different animal than the JTM 60s), what are your thoughts on the vintage JTM 45s vs. some of the reissues. Fender has a lot of reissue amps, but not being a fender aficionado, they just don't seem quite the same to me.

3. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    Ditto with me but only one early reissue. Mine sounds best with my '71 4X12 cab loaded with 70s G12-65s. I also added a PPIMV in the extra speaker jack making it more versatile sound level wise. Sometimes I use it with my 2061CX 2X12 cab loaded with G12H-30s. It's on top of my '71 SL. IMG_1446.JPG

4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

Reissue has el 34's, would def get one, seems to be lil hotter set up in a way compared to vintage. I am fortunate to have a builder friend who builds to a T, the circuits you ask for ..the jtm45's built as close to the originals are absolutely stunning to play..note bloom..chord thickness..when i play a reissue, tend to engage in slightly more aggressive playing..seems to have dif mid shift. Seeing the used price of reissues.. would def commission a build for the same money with a truer circuit..reissues are awesome tho, i think it depends on where you want to be tone wise...kt66 conversion on reissue changes it up . Have a PTP 1987 circuit changed to a Hoffman board , made 4 holer, Trainwreck 3 PPIMV , just played it all morning..worked on totally clean set up with treble on about 3 normal 2 and no master & hit with Bogner LaGrange to tweak into jtm45 Territory..used variac & blend knob & tone shift to really get the circuit fat & edge of break up..i think the pedal is saving me from a jtm45 purchase... would def get any one if it came on my radar,,or the VM,,i was set up for Gibson but got 2 strats recently & it is nailing all the classic strat tone strait in very easily

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Wow... that's both extremes of the amp spectrum. JTM45s and Fender 100 Watt SS. I'm surprised they didn't have at least something between those.

6. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My best guess is that most people who play there have those in-between amps. That they provide something for those who just don't want to, or can, bring an amp. I suppose the SS Fenders can work well enough for the pedal based players. And then something a bit more special.

7. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

The last original '65 JTM-45 I saw on Ebay sold for $14,000 -- so unless you have very deep pockets you might want to think about a clone.

Dr. Dan amps in Nova Scotia, Canada builds a really excellent JTM-45 clone. He's an established builder and several of his amps are currently being used by Bryan Adams's touring band. Dr. Dan has a website and a Fb page.

8. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

I used to own a JTM 45 (I want that amp back!), and I currently use the La Grange into a clean amp. It is amazing how similar it is to the real thing. There's a bit of a learning curve with the controls, but everything you need to dial it in is there. Best MIAB I've ever had, and I've been through a bunch.

bftfender likes this.
  9. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I now have a Ceriatone JTM45 clone. It's nice, but I've played some originals and, there was something just so natural and organic about those amps it's indescribable.

Best Marshall I ever played was at SIR Studios in NY, it was a small box 50 watt (so early JCM?) that just checked all the boxes.

I like 'em plugged into the normal channel high input, volume around 4, bass volume at 6 (interactive even when not jumped) then your guitar's volume knob and picking attack take you from clear and complex, to crunchy, to nice overdrive.

10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Starting point: presence 4, bass 3-6 (depends on cab), middle 8-10, treble 4-6.

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Holy Grail amp more than perhaps any other in the rock music scene.

The one I want is the 2x12 combo with tremolo, and I might have an effects loop added, if possible, so I can run a Fender Reverb in it. It'll probably be Ceriatone when I finally get it. Originals are out of reach.

12. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

In lieu of finding an original, a clone would be one choice or you could mod a super early Traynor YBA-1. Those are based on a Fender 5F6A Bassman just like the JTM 45. If you find one from the first year, the YBA-1 will have a 5V tap off the power transformer for the GZ34. If they haven't been too molested, a YBA-1 will have many of the same Mullard mustard caps that are used in the JTM45. Transformers are different, so they sound a bit more like a Traynor. I used to own a Plexi 67 JMP 50. I sold it after getting a couple of Traynor YBA-1 because the Traynor amps work better for me. I more often use the Traynor YSR-1, but still have one of those YBA-1 amps. I don't regret selling that Marshall for a second. It did sound killer though the 68 YBA-1 I kept would still dust it. The Traynor YVM-1 PA amp has a multitap output transformer with 4/8/16 ohm taps. That one could be perfect to mod though you might consider changing the power transformer to have a 5V winding and 240V power tap. The YVM-1 can be still found for $500 and under.

13. ScottTunes

ScottTunes TDPRI Member

Almost as inexpensive as the early Traynor amp would be the Fender Bassman RI '59 LTD. It's even closer to the amp that Jim Marshall was copying (to solve a problem, Jim split the amp from the cab, and sealed the cab with 4x12s instead of 4x10s).

14. BigDaddy23

BigDaddy23 Tele-Holic

I recall reading that the nice, blooming OD transition you describe on the back end of the note comes from the uncoupled stages (both triodes of V3) that Marshall employed. It’s a beautiful, full sound!

15. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Bassmans get real close! They are much louder than the JTM 45 reissue heads though. I had a first issue of those and it was extraordinary sounding with volume on 5 or 6. People were dropping like flies in the front row though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.