So I Ordered My Tone Master Princeton Reverb Today

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
Wouldn‘t this be the case with two DRRI’s side by side too?

l mean a difference in sound, but likely both sounding good.
I also did an A/B test when Fender introduce the 68 DRRI. Put it up against the 65 DRRI. The 68 is a silverface while the 65 is a blackface. 68 has a Celestion speaker vsa Jensen in the 65.

I thought the 65 kicked the 68's ass.

trandy9850

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
So I did another session with the new TM Princeton Reverb….my initial impressions about the reverb were correct….it does the terrible “stuttering” effect when set between 3 and 4.

The rest of the amp is fine though….I got some superb sounds out of it with my pedalboard hooked up….my Zendrive sounded very nice….and my Lovepedal COT50/Eternity Stack pedal really brought the house down….once again I was playing my Gibson ES-339…it’s become my favorite “do anything” guitar.

So overall I am very pleased….I think the question shouldn’t be “Is it as good as the tube version?”….rather “Is it a good amp standing on it’s own merits?”

My answer is a definitive “yes”.

Fret Wilkes

Friend of Leo's
So I did another session with the new TM Princeton Reverb….my initial impressions about the reverb were correct….it does the terrible “stuttering” effect when set between 3 and 4.

The rest of the amp is fine though….I got some superb sounds out of it with my pedalboard hooked up….my Zendrive sounded very nice….and my Lovepedal COT50/Eternity Stack pedal really brought the house down….once again I was playing my Gibson ES-339…it’s become my favorite “do anything” guitar.

So overall I am very pleased….I think the question shouldn’t be “Is it as good as the tube version?”….rather “Is it a good amp standing on it’s own merits?”

My answer is a definitive “yes”.

May I ask you to clarify one thing for me? Do you feel the "stuttering" effect is an accurate model of the "stuttering" effect you don't like in actual spring reverb, or are you saying it is an inaccurate digital artifact unlike a real spring reverb?

I've got the TMTR and I personally think the reverb model is excellent, though I do like Fender spring reverb.

Thanks

trandy9850

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
May I ask you to clarify one thing for me? Do you feel the "stuttering" effect is an accurate model of the "stuttering" effect you don't like in actual spring reverb, or are you saying it is an inaccurate digital artifact unlike a real spring reverb?

I've got the TMTR and I personally think the reverb model is excellent, though I do like Fender spring reverb.

Thanks
What I’m saying is that there’s no smooth decay to the reverb….it has a definite stutter to it…almost like a chintzy delay pedal.

So yes…it is an inaccurate digital artifact.

YMMV ;)

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
This is similar to the Tonemaster...I believe Fender introduced DSP into their amps as far back as 1999 ? and it begs the question again..is this the end for Fender tube amps? maybe not yet but who knows..
With the mix of haters and lovers of the Tone Master amps, I'd hardly believe it's the end of tube amps for Fender.

The Tone Masters just give the purists something new to hate on, and it actually takes the heat off the previously hated DRRI, PRRI and TRRI amps when the point-to point guys were hating on surface-mounted component tube amps. Now that the Tone Master amps are out everyone is all of a sudden saying that the tube Reissues are where it's at if you want "real tube tone". My guess is it may even boost the sale of their tube Reissue amps.

The Tone Masters are sort of Fender's "whipping boy" at the moment.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
What I’m saying is that there’s no smooth decay to the reverb….it has a definite stutter to it…almost like a chintzy delay pedal.

So yes…it is an inaccurate digital artifact.

YMMV ;)
Interesting. The reverb on my Tone Master Deluxe sounds fine to my ear. I've owned TRRI's, DRRI's, early and mid 70's Silverface Twins, Deluxes and Princeton Reverbs and never thought the reverb on the Tone Master had a "stutter" to it. Haven't had the chance to play through a Tone Master Princeton though. Considered it since I really loved my Silverface Princeton Reverbs, but felt like the Deluxe is sort of the "Goldilocks" amp in the Tone Master lineup; not too big, not too small, and can handle pretty much any situation I plan to use it in and beyond.

Last edited:

TC 57

Tele-Meister
With the mix of haters and lovers of the Tone Master amps, I'd hardly believe it's the end of tube amps for Fender.

The Tone Masters just give the purists something new to hate on, and it actually takes the heat off the previously hated DRRI, PRRI and TRRI amps when the point-to point guys were hating on surface-mounted component tube amps. Now that the Tone Master amps are out everyone is all of a sudden saying that the tube Reissues are where it's at if you want "real tube tone". My guess is it may even boost the sale of their tube Reissue amps.

The Tone Masters are sort of Fender's "whipping boy" at the moment.
I think the SS versus Tube arguments came into focus again with the collapse of the sale of Russian made tubes..which will never come back now. They will cost more and more users may question if it's worth it..we'll see

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
What’s the point? Using a digital power amp to save weight? A pair of 6v6 every few years? To make a very healthy profit off of a redesigned/“Updated” legacy product, that could be easily re-issued? Seems silly…

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
I think the SS versus Tube arguments came into focus again with the collapse of the sale of Russian made tubes..which will never come back now. They will cost more and more users may question if it's worth it..we'll see
The "end of tubes" - the lack of quality + supply etc. - have been an ongoing debate since the early 90´s.
It´s been 30+ years now, and both (the supply AND the debate) seem to be in (reasonably) good shape ;)

cheers - 68.

jgmouton

Tele-Holic
I've now tested 3 Princetons: the new TM, the 65 PRRI and the hand wired 64 Princeton. What I can say is that the 3 PRs sound really different in person (I don't notice that on YT videos). The 64 PR sounds the best, then the 65, then the TM (not impressed at all by the latter).

I just trust my ears, not the fact that there are tubes or not. It seems that with time, technology has gone against the quality of sound, from hand wired to printed circuit to SS/modelling.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
I ditched my TMDR and picked up a '68 Custom Vibro Champ Reverb. Good thing it only has minimal tubes.

FlatAffectCamper

Tele-Meister
These tonemasters are probably the best modeling amps out there. To my ears, the sound that comes out of them is like a compressed digital recording of a tube amp, and not a really great hi-fi recording. Don't mean that in a negative way, they do sound very nice.

I do have a philosophical reluctance about these amps. What exactly do you get?

1) Some software on a chip on a PCB
2) an inexpensive class D amp
3) a speaker, but nothing special
4) the Fender logo

This doesn't add up to $1,000 for me. Fender probably produces these amps in China for under $100 all-in with labor. I think you're mostly paying for the logo. I have a little Mustang modeling amp, and it sounds okay, but it was $60. If that Tonemaster Princeton was a Peavey, it should be $250, and would be a buy.

Technology is supposed to make good living cheaper. Well, it's cheaper for the producer, but not for us. That's looking like the story of the 21st century, basically.

I am really rooting for a modeling amp that does what a tube amp does, but somehow it's not there yet. When it get here, I will buy the knock-off version without the logo.

jgmouton

Tele-Holic
These tonemasters are probably the best modeling amps out there. To my ears, the sound that comes out of them is like a compressed digital recording of a tube amp, and not a really great hi-fi recording. Don't mean that in a negative way, they do sound very nice.

I do have a philosophical reluctance about these amps. What exactly do you get?

1) Some software on a chip on a PCB
2) an inexpensive class D amp
3) a speaker, but nothing special
4) the Fender logo

This doesn't add up to $1,000 for me. Fender probably produces these amps in China for under $100 all-in with labor. I think you're mostly paying for the logo. I have a little Mustang modeling amp, and it sounds okay, but it was $60. If that Tonemaster Princeton was a Peavey, it should be $250, and would be a buy.

Technology is supposed to make good living cheaper. Well, it's cheaper for the producer, but not for us. That's looking like the story of the 21st century, basically.

I am really rooting for a modeling amp that does what a tube amp does, but somehow it's not there yet. When it get here, I will buy the knock-off version without the logo.

Could not agree more. Musicians are the butt of the joke.

KnopflerStyle

Tele-Afflicted
To me tone masters make sense if you are looking for a home use and light weight valve amp. A twin, super reverb tone master make sense.

A princeton... i dont know. The attenuator seems to be the only thing that i like on this amps.

Fender should add attenuator or fx loop to manage volumes on their valve amps. The rest... depends on your back and if you want to carry them to your gig.

Weight is the only pro if you see it that way.

Deluxe or princetons with attenuator/fx loop could be my perfect amps