So I Ordered My Tone Master Princeton Reverb Today

TC 57

Tele-Meister
I seriously doubt that. I’m pretty sure they make a ton of money on tube amps.
Hi, yes but that depends on the continued supply of quality tubes. They wont come from Russia again and the cost of making tube amps will increase while SS gets better. Maybe if Vox and Marshall go down the same route as Fender with their TM then the tube amp market will shrink..you'll find that many 'all tube amps' are actually a hybrid of SS & tube

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
...the cost of making tube amps will increase while SS gets better ... you'll find that many 'all tube amps' are actually a hybrid of SS & tube
Sorry, but these are really old news (like, early 90´s or so...) ;)
SS-amps have (or, at least, tried to) become better for decades by now, and tube-availability has been a "problem" for 30 years +.

Same goes for the "hybrid of SS & tube"-debate.
Marshall took a lot of beating for the 2-channel JCM800-amps, as well as the JCM900´s (Dual-Reverb-Models) for incorporating diodes in their drive-channels - but that was 30+ years ago...
Leo Fender (himself) had a whole line of amps going with solid-state pre-amps and tube power-amps. I don´t remember anyone bashing him ;)

These days, you can (mostly) tell if you get an "all tube"-amp or not.

cheers - 68.

Last edited:

Brent Hutto

Tele-Afflicted
Yes but you can come online and someone will be glad to explain in excruciating detail everything about your amp. What's tube, what's not tube, what's awful, what's fake and what's headed straight to the landfill the day the warranty expires.

So then you'll know!

TC 57

Tele-Meister
Hi!

Sorry, but these are really old news (like, early 90´s or so...) ;)
SS-amps have (or, at least, tried to) become better for decades by now, and tube-availability has been a "problem" for 30 years +.

Same goes for the "hybrid of SS & tube"-debate.
Marshall took a lot of beating for the 2-channel JCM800-amps, as well as the JCM900´s (Dual-Reverb-Models) for incorporating diodes in their drive-channels - but that was 30+ years ago...
Leo Fender (himself) had a whole line of amps going with solid-state pre-amps and tube power-amps. I don´t remember anyone bashing him ;)

cheers - 68.
Oh I've not read Leo Fender used SS preamps in his amps- what time was that? I think it means you can make do with 2 pre amp tubes rather than 3 ..seems it's a cost saving measure.
Yes, I've heard all tube amps, the ToneKing Imperial MK2 is one...

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
Oh I've not read Leo Fender used SS preamps in his amps- what time was that? ...
In the 70´s and 80´s - they were quite well known back then ;)

imgext.php.jpeg

cheers - 68.

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
I had a chance to A/B test a TM Deluxe vs. DRRI Silverface tube amp. So not exactly apples to apples because i believe the TM is a blackface, but I could hear a difference with all the knobs set identically. The tube amp seemed "fuller" sounding to me.

But, the TM still sounded pretty damn good.

chris m.

Doctor of Teleocity
Horses for courses-- Leo designed them that way for a reason. SS preamp plus tube power amp in MusicMan amps produced super clean and powerful yet warm sounding amps-- perfect for country. Not perfect for rock and roll, though. (Unless using as a dirt pedal platform).

mikeRI

TDPRI Member
The thing that’s confusing to me is that the Princeton TM is 12 watts (same as the tube Princeton.) The DRRI TM is 100 watts solid state (whereas the tube DRRI is 22 watts.)

I know there is more to volume than watts, but doesn’t a SS amp need a lot more wattage to be comparable to a tube amp?

johnnyASAT

Tele-Meister
I think it's that way on the TMs to basically say "this is what the tube version's wattage is and what this amp here will sound like" and not "real" wattage.

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
The thing that’s confusing to me is that the Princeton TM is 12 watts (same as the tube Princeton.) The DRRI TM is 100 watts solid state (whereas the tube DRRI is 22 watts.)

I know there is more to volume than watts, but doesn’t a SS amp need a lot more wattage to be comparable to a tube amp?

From Fender's Website....

Untitled.png

trandy9850

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
I ordered my Tone Master Princeton Reverb today….should be here in a couple of weeks….maybe sooner (fingers crossed).

Working for an authorized dealer does have it’s benefits.

I’ll post my reactions when it gets here.
OK….it’s here….just brought it home.

A couple of quick photos then a full tone report in a bit.

EDIT: Just finished a 30 minute session with the amp.

I like it….with a reservation...I don’t like the reverb…this doesn’t actually affect me since I have a very good reverb pedal on my board and never use any amps onboard reverb….but it is a bit disappointing.

No nasally, boxy tones with this amp….not shrill sounding at all….I used my ES-339 and it sounded warm and wonderful overall.

I like the attenuator…being able to only use 0.30 watts is a hoot.

The overall build quality is excellent….the Tolex is perfect inside and out….no sloppy build quality at all.

I do like the tremolo and can actually envision using it at some point.

At full power (12 watts) the available volume is plentiful….way more than I would ever need in my music room.

syCrk3N.jpg

31DGjcG.jpg

XML7m9f.jpg

1ox08Nf.jpg

Qkixx9Z.jpg

Uxwmzg8.jpg

Last edited:

foundjoe

Tele-Holic
OK….it’s here….just brought it home.

A couple of quick photos then a full tone report in a bit.

EDIT: Just finished a 30 minute session with the amp.

I like it….with a reservation...I don’t like the reverb…this doesn’t actually affect me since I have a very good reverb pedal on my board and never use any amps onboard reverb….but it is a bit disappointing.

No nasally, boxy tones with this amp….not shrill sounding at all….I used my ES-339 and it sounded warm and wonderful overall.

I like the attenuator…being able to only use 0.30 watts is a hoot.

The overall build quality is excellent….the Tolex is perfect inside and out….no sloppy build quality at all.

I do like the tremolo and can actually envision using it at some point.

At full power (12 watts) the available volume is plentiful….way more than I would ever need in my music room.

syCrk3N.jpg

31DGjcG.jpg

XML7m9f.jpg

1ox08Nf.jpg

Qkixx9Z.jpg

Uxwmzg8.jpg
Does the reverb sound like it’s supposed to? One of the selling points of a classic Princeton Reverb is the tube-driven reverb — and tube-driven tremolo. In the Tonemaster amps, you’re giving up not only the tubes for the amp’s tone but for its effects too. If the effects aren’t done well, it would spoil the purchase for me. It might as well just be a Tonemaster Champ. Curious to get your further impressions of the new amp.

Gimble

Tele-Meister
I had a chance to A/B test a TM Deluxe vs. DRRI Silverface tube amp. So not exactly apples to apples because i believe the TM is a blackface, but I could hear a difference with all the knobs set identically. The tube amp seemed "fuller" sounding to me.

But, the TM still sounded pretty damn good.

Wouldn‘t this be the case with two DRRI’s side by side too?

l mean a difference in sound, but likely both sounding good.

trandy9850

Tele-Holic
Ad Free Member
Does the reverb sound like it’s supposed to? One of the selling points of a classic Princeton Reverb is the tube-driven reverb — and tube-driven tremolo. In the Tonemaster amps, you’re giving up not only the tubes for the amp’s tone but for its effects too. If the effects aren’t done well, it would spoil the purchase for me. It might as well just be a Tonemaster Champ. Curious to get your further impressions of the new amp.
I hear you….the tremolo sounded fine though I am not really a tremolo guru and I hardly ever use it.

I’m going to visit with the amp again this evening….I was pretty tired last night…maybe my opinion will change with a re-visit.

The reverb is not unusable by any means….and I‘m not sure what I was expecting….so this whole deal could be on me. Lol

Last edited: