So I mentioned Orange County Choppers recently and how fake that show was...

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
I actually had a friend who had more money that he knew what to do with. He was visiting another wealthy dude on a business meeting who had a garage full of toys.
They were walking through the Ferraris, the Porches, and the McLarens and there in the corner sat an OCC bike. My friend is a motorcycle nut so he was drawn to it. They got to talking and the owner said he wasn't really a motorcycle guy and was thinking about selling it. My friend sees an opening and shoots an offer, not really knowing what they went for he offered 20% over what the bike sold for new.
The guy agrees and they make arrangements to get the bike to my friend.

He was so excited when it arrived. He went out with a towel to wipe the bike down (it had shipped 1200 miles on one of those vehicle shipment services) and then started noticing little issues. Paint peel on the frame, bad welds, mis-alignment of the chain to the rear wheel. He ended up sending the bike off to one of his mechanics who came back and told him with the rake and trail of the bike that it would never "ride" well. It would be OK for slow rides down the block or around the neighborhood but he would not recommend taking the bike past 60MPH without significant work to fix some things. Then the mechanic says, "these were not really meant to ride, they were meant to be looked at".
My friend kept that bike as a conversation piece for three years, then sold it for half of what he bought it for just to make room for other toys.

SuprHtr

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
There were better places to spend stupid money on bikes. One of these was on display at the entrance to the Barber Museum for a while:
Motus_MSTR.jpg

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
I think if you wanted a custom bike, you talk to Joe Martin. If you want a car, you call (and wait) for Dave Kindig.
I had a 69 Camaro about ten years back. You need to find someone who works/builds Classic Cars. I found a guy in Tennessee who did this. I found him because one of the Tennessee Car Shows mentioned him I now forget his name. He was a real artist. He put Classic Air in my car and rebuilt the interior among other things. You just need to find a good builder.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
I remember an OCC episode where a couple of those fools were pounding an inner primary cover onto the motor/tranny with a big plastic mallet. If they would have shimmed the tranny to align with the motor, the inner primary would have simply slid into place. Their method insured that as soon as shafts and gears started spinning, pre-mature wear due to mis-alignment will cause a breakdown.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
One good thing came out of that show - this meme:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
A bunch of grownup male attention whores bitching at each other for an hour is not even remotely entertaining.

I killed my TV in 2007 and have not had one in the house since then. I'm a much more productive and happier person because of that.
Another man who went too far in his obsession with things Elvis. :(

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I had a 69 Camaro about ten years back. You need to find someone who works/builds Classic Cars. I found a guy in Tennessee who did this. I found him because one of the Tennessee Car Shows mentioned him I now forget his name. He was a real artist. He put Classic Air in my car and rebuilt the interior among other things. You just need to find a good builder.

I've done five vehicles in my life. Most of the work I did myself and it took time, but the result was what I wanted. You can find good people who can do stuff, but I have seen complete hose jobs too... lots of them. Hack, butcher, just untrained, unthoughtful work on a lot of stuff.

If money is no trouble, the kindig/martin suggestion is the sure thing. a friend of mine got a car from Dave Kindig. When he called, Dave said, '5 years' he was so back logged. (this is about 7 years ago.) He called him back and said, 'I'm in.' He got his car in about 2 years.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Just think, one day, far, far in the future, they will have car shows for the old electric cars that were replaced by vehicles powered by their owners' cellphones.

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
there was an OCC chopper for sale here a few years ago. it was made for some TV show... maybe Desperate Housewives & had cast signatures & such on it. it supposedly cost 150k or something. it was on C-List for a couple years with the price continually creeping downward. the last price I remember seeing on it was 20k

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I worked with a guy who built an E-bike powered by old laptop batteries we had lying around the office.
E-Bikes and E-Skateboards are infesting the area here! I saw a guy a few days on an E-Skateboard going up the road in regular traffic doing at least thirty miles an hour. I had no idea they would go that fast, it was also physically larger than other boards I'd seen before.

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
A bunch of grownup male attention whores bitching at each other for an hour is not even remotely entertaining.

I killed my TV in 2007 and have not had one in the house since then. I'm a much more productive and happier person because of that.
I enjoy a number of events on TV that I would never be able to attend personally. The PGA annual golf tournament is on ESPN for two days, then CBS for the remainder. I watch a LOT of football in the fall. Having said that, I can't think of ANY reality tv shows that I've ever watched. Watching ANYTHING about the type of motorcycles featured in the show cited on this thread would be anathema to me. I simply can't stand that whole loud, obnoxious way of life, or its participants. I'm okay with someone else doing it, but I don't want to participate in ANY way, I don't want to watch, listen, or hear any of their tales. PERIOD.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My wife's family a good portion of it is into "Classic Cars" and "Hot Rods." About every ten years or so, I will be talked into going to a big car show they have here out at the fairgrounds every year. When I find myself out there, I desperately wish I had passed on going. After about ten minutes of looking at "old" cars, I feel like I've gone back in time and am at Cal Worthington's used car lot and start looking around for his dog Spot.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Just think, one day, far, far in the future, they will have car shows for the old electric cars that were replaced by vehicles powered by their owners' cellphones.
That will be a while. I think of when genetics and superconductivity were big news. We (the species) have had more progress learning the former than the latter.

Closer to the two topics, it was having 3 kids in diapers when I have my last TV and I think this show memories. We will watch TV in hotel rooms but otherwise stream. My actual TV knowledge is probably as out of date as my fashion knowledge but I don't kid myself that YouTube and web content are not somewhat the same.