So I mentioned Orange County Choppers recently and how fake that show was...

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
american-chopper-orange-county-choppers-paul-sr-paul-jr-court.jpg

Yeah, THESE characters. When that show aired in the early 2000's I loved watching it. Because I love machines and I love craftsmanship.

Sure, it was scripted to hell and back, but hey, it was fun.
blackwidow1.jpg

But how about the bikes they made there, were they any good?

Here's the answer...

Seems like a lot of sizzle without a big steak.

But to prove that you CAN have some fun with one...

Hey, it's not that much different from a Telecaster modding platform.

And err, if it's worth doing, it's definitely worth OVERDOING!

Last edited:

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
there were several off set shows about how OCC didnt build the bikes but outsourced the construction and finish about the bikes,

show choppers are gorgeous if built right , but i have to question the longevity from OCC

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Reality TV isn't real??? What's next, pro-wrestling?
In the book "Man in the white suit" written by Ben Collins, AKA The Stig, from the UK motoring show Top Gear, he detailed that it was scripted to hell and back. But that unforeseen occurrences were usually left in since it made for often hilarious scenes.

He himself was told by the director of the show to ignore the script and just do his own thing, which again made for hilarious scenes and situations.

RodeoTex

Doctor of Teleocity
There was a big deal about the law suits against OCC a few years ago for non-delivery, broken frames, etc.
No point in testing OCC's Evo engines. That guy's complaint would be more with Harley Davidson.
Putting different fuels in and associating that in any way with OCC is moronic.
Those guys got rich and milked it as far as they could.
OCC is best left forgotten.

PhoenixBill

Tele-Holic
If I won a bazillion dollars, I might buy a custom chopper, just to look cool when I feel like cruising out to the local Starbucks. Some of them are absolute works of art. However, no way I would want to ride one more than a few miles. Hardtail, thin tiny seat, and frames of dubious quality —those are mighty spindly frames TIG welded together by who-knows-who. As far as the show, I watched a handful of episodes but quickly got really tired of the phony drama. What kind of business are they if EVERY SINGLE BUILD goes down to the last second? They couldn’t plan anything properly up front?

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
american-chopper-orange-county-choppers-paul-sr-paul-jr-court.jpg

Yeah, THESE characters. When that show aired in the early 2000's I loved watching it. Because I love machines and I love craftsmanship.

Sure, it was scripted to hell and back, but hey, it was fun.
blackwidow1.jpg

But how about the bikes they made there, were they any good?

Here's the answer...

Seems like a lot of sizzle without a big steak.

But to prove that you CAN have some fun with one...

Hey, it's not that much different from a Telecaster modding platform.

And err, if it's worth doing, it's definitely worth OVERDOING!

They were terrible motorcycles, and tasteless psuedo-choppers.
Jay Leno sued them over the bike he commissioned from them that caught fire. He should've known better, he's a gearhead.

There was no craftsmanship happening on camera. If there's any, it's in the frames that were built for them, before they tack welded corny themes onto them.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Continually ranting at each other got old quick and always building bikes that looked alike. It became a joke I quit watching way before the end.

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A bunch of grownup male attention whores bitching at each other for an hour is not even remotely entertaining.

I killed my TV in 2007 and have not had one in the house since then. I'm a much more productive and happier person because of that.
I havent watched TV in 4 years , I watch DVDs and i use my TV for Youtube vids , and my major discovery with TV is Robot chicken is the same show as Judge Judy , go figure!

dogmeat

Friend of Leo's
I did like some of the stuff they built.... as art. I got tons of miles on motorcycles, ridden in Asia, Australia, USA, Canada, and AK. I've built bikes from (nearly) scratch. 40 plus years as an aircraft mechanic and with that as a background, yeah, some pretty interesting builds, but ... none it was really ride worthy. I started riding in about 1964, I had an XLCH in 1970... fun on the flats, but it was top heavy and oversteered. my Triumph and BSA bikes were as fast and much more fun to ride. I liked bobbers OK, and built a few. but now take a Harley, and do what they did.... its almost undriveable. oh yea... a few miles, sure. raked out springer front ends on a ridged frame... total crap as a vehicle. take it as it is.... they made "art", eye candy for a certain set of people. as for the continual drama... no. I used to mute most of the conversation/confrontation. I kina liked Junkyard Wars better

EDIT: and yeah.... AvGas... especially on vintage bikes! even 25% mixed in makes a world of difference. old engines like lead. if you operate a vintage bike do yourself a favor and get some. and right now... its not much more than car gas... Av hasn't risen as much proportionally... its 5.50 here.

and if you have a vintage bike with a fiberglass tank, run straight Av or drain the tank after every ride. modern fuel eats them, even without alcohol

Last edited:

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I did like some of the stuff they built.... as art. I got tons of miles on motorcycles, ridden in Asia, Australia, USA, Canada, and AK. I've built bikes from (nearly) scratch. 40 plus years as an aircraft mechanic and with that as a background, yeah, some pretty interesting builds, but ... none it was really ride worthy. I started riding in about 1964, I had an XLCH in 1970... fun on the flats, but it was top heavy and oversteered. my Triumph and BSA bikes were as fast and much more fun to ride. I liked bobbers OK, and built a few. but now take a Harley, and do what they did.... its almost undriveable. oh yea... a few miles, sure. raked out springer front ends on a ridged frame... total crap as a vehicle. take it as it is.... they made "art", eye candy for a certain set of people. as for the continual drama... no. I used to mute most of the conversation/confrontation. I kina liked Junkyard Wars better

EDIT: and yeah.... AvGas... especially on vintage bikes! even 25% mixed in makes a world of difference. old engines like lead. if you operate a vintage bike do yourself a favor and get some. and right now... its not much more than car gas... Av hasn't risen as much proportionally... its 5.50 here.

and if you have a vintage bike with a fiberglass tank, run straight Av or drain the tank after every ride. modern fuel eats them, even without alcohol
Here's a fitting song and a translation on what it says.

I say oooh!
Ooh!
I say AAH!
Aah!
I say Ooh
Aah

They were going fast as the clappers
As they arrived on the scene
Fast as the clappers
Because they heard about the motor cross thing
They never slowed down
Because they figured it would be a waste of time
Bertus on his Norton and Tinus on his BSA
Onto the motor cross race on the grounds of Hengelo
The farmyard animals and the ladies quickly jumping aside

They went so fast
Oh so fast
Fast as the clappers they went.
They went so fast
Oh so fast

They were going fast as the clappers
As they were driving home after the race
Fast as the clappers
So they'd arrive home sooner
They had some fun at the after party
They both were just a tiny bit drunk
The danger never was of any concern to them
They were kings of the road
and figured that the rules didn't apply to them

They went so fast
Oh so fast
They went so fast
Oh so fast

But as always, those fast times would come to an end
Thanks to a drunk idiot, unfamiliar with the speed of a bike
Bertus crashed into that guy and Tinus came in right behind
Everybody said, "Well, that will be the end of them."

They never went, no never again would they be
Driving fast as the clappers
Never again, never again
Driving fast as the clappers
They went so fast
Oh so fast
They went so fast
Oh so fast

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yeah these so-called reality shows with their "crafted" products!
With all the in-fighting and bickering and orchestrated drama you got to ask, who would want to buy from these fools??

Anyway, I thought the real Orange County was in California
:)

teletail

Friend of Leo's
I’ve spent a lot of time on bike forums over the years. I never saw anyone say anything positive about OCC bikes and I’ve seen lots of negative. They look like a half fast outfit.