So I made enchiladas tonight

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I don't know that much, except to say I would avoid using tomato paste if you want a sweeter, less stiff sauce. Canned paste makes the sauce taste bitter and it covers other things up. And, when in doubt, add more garlic.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I was gonna say, American covers a lot of territory. From the northernmost parts of Canada to the tip of Chile is all America. The US doesn’t get the only claim to the word American. In that sense, Mexican food is American food.

slauson slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Enchilada means covered in chili sauce, also can be made with mole.

Mole means ground. As in using a metate or a molcajete - grinding stone or grinding bowl.

Mole sauces are made from various things. Mole poblano is chiles, peanuts and chocolate. Mole pipian is made from pumpkin seeds and chiles, among other things. Other moles use chiles, tomatoes, tomatillos, tortilla pieces, seeds, bread, spices and herbs and leaves - Oaxaca has a number of styles of mole.

Making sauces from chiles and spices, the old way, using grinding stones, is labor intensive. Also, hand grinding corn. But, the texture is different and better than sauces made in blenders. A proper hand ground and handmade tortilla is exquisite.

My grandmother and mother made enchiladas with cheese or sour cream fillings, with chopped olives and onions, never meat. We ate them on Fridays and during Lent. They made them by dipping corn tortillas in a pan of hot enchilada sauce to soften them, put them on a plate, added filling, rolled them, covered them in a bit more sauce, topped with a little cheese, and served them. They were not baked or in a casserole.

I’ve had enchiladas where the tortillas were dipped and softened in lard, then dipped in enchilada sauce then filled, covered with enchilada sauce and served. Divine, but lard is not conducive to a healthy diet.

In our house we had store bought tortillas, sauces and moles.

4CCE2686-196A-4FBD-ABE4-D310E08FB99C.jpeg
139BB405-E56B-4894-8A31-089E13791420.jpeg

Frontman

Tele-Afflicted
I spent my younger years in New Mexico, where the making of anything chili-related is an art. There were some good restaurants in Albuquerque when I was a kid, old diners on Central Avenue near the downtown area. The Mexican food served in these places was too good to describe, and no high-end, big-city restaurant today has anything remotely as good. The best place was a small restaurant/bar called “Casa Grande,” and their combination plate of enchiladas, relleno,burrito, and tacos, all with with green chili sauce was amazing, and cheap.

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
I don't have anything to add that no one else has. It's just nice to see my home getting so much love from everyone. New Mexico has problems, but we also have the best food and some of the nicest people in the world.

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
I got served "enchiladas" once in Denver where you could tell the sauce was made with tomatoes with some bell peppers or something in it. It was so disgusting I still need therapy.

I mean, I like marinara sauce. But not in my freaking enchiladas.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Pork or chicken? Yeah, we could do a whole ‘nuther thread on green sauce. I’ve got baby tomatillo plants out back, should be making salsa verde by New Years.
Pork. When it comes out of the package, it's a little dryer than the sample, but momma knows how fix it, and make it just right. Man, I love that stuff!

tlsmack

Tele-Afflicted
Easy fix is to cut the old el paso enchilada sauce with some old el paso taco sauce, which is basically salsa with no chunks. There are more authentic solutions, but this is a simple way to take down the harshness of canned enchilada sauce.

Last edited:

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
I went back and re-read the op, which reminded me of something. When you tear open the dried chiles and seed them, you can 1) remove the veins, or 2) leave the veins. #1 is for a milder sauce, #2 keeps the heat of that particular chile.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Thank you everyone. I spent the middle 1950's living in Grants, New Mexico. A small town between Albequrque and Gallup. Both my parents worked running a Hotel, cafe and Greyhound Bus stop on route 66. When I was not in school or running around the Lava beds looking for arrow heads and horn toads, I stayed with a wonderful Mexican family. It is where my love of Mexican food began. I remember the glorious smells of that household at mealtime. There are countless good restaurants and Taqueria's nearby and I can get all the flavors and family sauces there. However I also like to make my own and that is why I posted. My late wife was the cook and now I am learning how to cook. There are great suggestions here and I will try them all until I find the magic one that matches what is as good as I can go out and buy or remember. Thanks again.

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
A suggested recipe which comes from a website that has a lot of good stuff. This recipe does have a touch of tomato lol.

Best wishes in your learning to cook adventure. Mexican food is a great place to start. Some of it can be time intensive, but it’s not difficult. It’s not like making soufflé or something.

Dave Hicks

Friend of Leo's
Had a housemate from Wisconsin once - we took turns making supper, and she served up tacos with American cheese and ketchup. o_O👺

D.H.