1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So I just sold my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb..

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertoMilanese, May 27, 2020.

1. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used my Kemper to make some direct (amp only, with no mic or speaker) profiles of my Mark V. I then ran each one through an identical Mesa cab, and I couldn't tell the difference when switching between them with an A/B box. I suspect that this is going to be the same situation with the Tonemasters.

codamedia and Tim S like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Just caught this after my last post. The Kemper actually does get held to the fire in regard to accuracy, just like every other digital device does. Some insist it's nuts-on accurate, some insist it's not. Same as all the rest. I guess I'm lucky that I'm not that concerned with it.

codamedia, Tim S and pugnax like this.
  3. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

I mean, I can’t possibly defend the TMTR on this one. That might be the best sounding amp I’ve ever heard.

If they had come out with both a 1965 blackface and a 1970 silverface TMTR I’d have gone with the latter in a heartbeat though. The Twin I’ve spend the most time with (prior to the tonemaster) was a ‘71 and it rocked my socks off. I think part of the reason I thought it sounded so dang awesome was that a 3.5 on the volume dial seemed to sound closer (but even better in my mind, reinforced by that clip) to what a 7 on my tonemaster sounds like - there’s something really special about that compression. Dang. I’d have bought that amp in a heartbeat, and then been pissed as heck when I needed to buy a UA OX for my silent recording needs.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  4. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

I agree - that is a great recording of a great sounding amp. Good enough to eat!

pugnax likes this.
  5. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I was predisposed to liking the TMTR after its rave reviews and was bummed when I A/B’d it with a Twin RI in a music store and to my ears it wasn’t in the ballpark nor even the same zip code. Ymmv. I was sold on the convenience and would have bought one if it sounded reasonably close.

Tim S, jgmouton and pugnax like this.
  6. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

I wasn’t completely happy with my Tone Master Twin until I broke in the speakers. Now I love it for gigs. Saves my back and it keeps up with the drummers.

I’ll never sell my vintage Twin Reverbs, but they stay home now.

7. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

That is not an unusual unicorn silverface twin reverb. They are good sounding amps, and that is what they sound like. And there is nothing special about the recording. It's just an sm57 sitting on the grill, which many musicians already own. Straight into an interface and recorded with a computer. The recording of the Tone Master on the other hand had a $1200 mic sitting out front, blended with another mic which I can only assume is also an sm57. Any way, it blows my mind that tons of those silverfaces are sitting out there for sale at often a little more than half the price of one of the Tone Master amps. I think I paid $650 for mine, in pretty much perfect condition with RCA tubes from end to end, and it had been up for sale for some time. ...But marketing is powerful stuff. It will lead you to buy some crackerbox amp with a cracker for a circuit board instead of a nice amp and often for more money.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  8. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

B-but "It sounds just like a real tube amp!"

homesick345 likes this.
  9. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

Don’t write off the high end loadbox, attenuator, and IRs of said 57 and fancyass 121 mics. That isn’t cheap to add to a vintage box. I don’t want to go in circles but that point shouldn’t be lost.

Also I just did a quick scan, and there pretty much zero 68-71 Twins on reverb for less than $1400, let alone unmodded ones that have been well maintained, which climb past $2k quickly.

Ignatius and Tim S like this.
  10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Other people hear what they see, or what they think (or are told) they're listening to. Life is just a self perpetuated illusion.

Anacharsis, Ebidis, pugnax and 2 others like this.
  11. Crawldaddy

Crawldaddy Tele-Holic

The funny thing is that while all the TM amps have been released, I've been busy offloading tube amps, including a '65 DRRI. I've owned several Fender tube amps, but they've all gone now. They just don't have the flexibility I get from all of my other amps.

Should space allow in the near future, I might entertain the prospect of the TMTR, it seems like the one to get anyway.

12. Bluey

Bluey Tele-Meister

Alot of so called tone snobs s!t# can new tech but the punters are the ones you need to keep happy. If you can't do that with any amp then look in a mirror.IMO.

beagle likes this.
  13. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Seriously - you've stated your position. Give it a rest. You're not "enlightening" us so you can dispense with the lecturing. I, and I would presume many other Tone Master owners have heard/played through/owned good tube amps. No one is disagreeing with you that a great tube Twin or Deluxe is a special thing, as evidenced by the clip you posted of the great sounding Twin. I also presume many of the TM commenters are experienced, working musicians. As I have stated, the TMs fill a need for many musicians. I don't know if you gig or not, but a Twin simply isn't practical from a size, weight, and volume perspective for many situations. If I had a large studio where I could really appreciate it I'd love one, but even for my modest home recording needs it's too much. If your thing is to sit at home and appreciate incredible tone playing by yourself or recording, that's cool and I get it. Beyond that, a Twin isn't practical to own in this day and age for most working musicians. You won't see many on stages.

14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Most of the working musicians I know here had ditched the Twins by the end of the 1980s. A Deluxe is plenty big enough, these days you can't do loud anywhere.

Anacharsis, Ebidis and homesick345 like this.
  15. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

You and me both ;)

I'm not sure why amps are never put through the same scrutiny. Serial number 19625 can sound powerful and great while serial number 19626 could sound like the runt of the litter. One thing is for certain... they won't be "nuts-on" accurate to each other.

Ebidis, Tim S, Frodebro and 1 other person like this.
  16. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I think too many people today have forgotten what a quality amp sounds like, being subjected to all the low volume solutions. IR's sound worse than the real speakers from which they are made. They are one of the major weak points of modelers. Lower quality sound has become normalized by widespread use of modelers, IR's, and attenuators. I have used and still do use that stuff when I have to, but it is always a compromise of the sound quality for some means. None of it sounds as good as just plugging straight into a nice sounding amp.

Who says that later twins don't sound good? They do sound good. And all of them, up until the ultra-linear twins, can be essentially wound back to blackface circuits, which sound better than that video of a silverface twin. And the only reason to buy one from Reverb would be if you absolutely can't find one reasonably local. My city is terrible for finding anything vintage amps. I had to drive over to the next major city (less than 100 miles). But that amp had been sitting for a while, and I have seen lots of them come up for sale in surrounding cities. I'm looking at a silverface for sale right now loaded with JBL D120F's for $650, which isn't that far away (125 miles). I'm tempted to go after the thing, but I already have a nice twin and super.

And it's not just twin reverbs that sound good. Many people would argue that other models sound even better. And there are tons of old Fender amps out there for sale. I got my blackface 65 Super Reverb (not a reissue) for less than the price of a Tone Master, and it smokes my Twin Reverb. It had been sitting in a consignment shop for at least 6 months. The mentality of all things low volume has pushed alot of these amps out to pasture, nevermind that they still sound good at low volume.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  17. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

And ^this^ is why used tubed Twins can be found at such reasonable prices. Some people don’t find owning one a winning proposition for them. Buyers vehemently disagree and believe they got a bargain. ;)

TMs are priced for what the market will bear.

Some people are upset about this. Everyone’s upset about something. It’s all good.

Frodebro, mycroftxxx, ataylor and 2 others like this.
  18. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

This upsets me :D

Mad Kiwi, Frodebro and Tim S like this.
  19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The convenience of the TMTR is what keeps it very much in the competition. Besides its lightness, power scaling, and direct line out convenience, another factor to consider is that tube amp repair techs are a dying breed. I have a great one in my town that can keep my four vintage tube amps working great. The day he retires is the day I will probably need to switch to another option, even if doesn't sound quite as good. Having to drive long distances back and forth for amp servicing will pretty much end that era for me, I think. Who knows, though. I already know how to change out power tubes and bias them with a bias probe. Maybe I can also learn how to change out the electrolytics without electrocuting myself. In which case I can probably keep them running for awhile longer. But if something fries I don't have the chops to trace it out and fix it. A good analogy is cars-- I can keep them tuned up but doing something like a valve job or crankshaft replacement is beyond my expertise (nor would I have the time for it).

Fred Rogers and Tim S like this.
  20. Fred Rogers

Fred Rogers Tele-Afflicted

My amp tech was one big factor for me buying the TMTR. My old tech died a few years ago and my current tech is in his late 60s. The next nearest tech is over an hour away. I love my vintage tube amps but they stay home now. I only bring out my PRRI or the TMTR for gigs.

Who knows the longevity of these Tone Masters. We really don’t know, but for now I’m not worrying and neither is my back. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.