So I just sold my Tone Master Deluxe Reverb..

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AlbertoMilanese, May 27, 2020.

1. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

So after a brief three months, I decided to sell my Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. While it's a fine amp on its own, there are some issues that leave me somewhat disappointed with it.

First off, it is considerably quieter than my current favourite amp (35W Custom Vibrolux with blue alnicos) - and here comes the second flaw already. Just when the Tone Master starts to get the right volume, it becomes pretty much unuseable (at around 5/6 on the volume) as there is some kind of shrill fizz going on besides the rather large amount of overdrive (albeit more of a muddy "amp falling apart" sound after 7/8) coded into the amp at this volume. I need it to stay clean a lot longer to be of use in my bands. Even after a good 60 hour high volume workout, the fizz remains - can't be from lack of speaker break in, has to be the amp. So what you get is an amp with usable volume range from around 2 until 5 and half with single coils - and forget about the rest. So in direct comparision, the amp falls flat on all fronts next to my CVR. I can't exactly pinpoint what the biggest culprit is - 22W vs 35W, 1x12'' speaker vs 2x10'' speakers or the digital modeling vs. tube circuitry, but it seems to add up in the end. When I do a direct comparision with an A/B box, the CVR just smokes the Tone Master. I'm somewhat disappoint because I really thought and hoped the TM could live up to the hype, but I fear that it just can't.

Plus, when it comes to pricing, with the current situation, I can't justify spending that much on an amp made in China. Gotta support local amp builders and businesses. One thing though - it's a great portable amp, killer weight to tone ratio! Thus, there was only one thing left to do. Sell it. Found a seller, sold it at a fair price, everyone's happy.

So what's the purpose of this thread? I don't really know. So if you're still thinking about buying one of those amps, maybe this little rant can help you. If you're happy with your Tone Master Deluxe Reverb, that's great too! But for me with my rather loud playing habits, it just wasn't enough! Now to hunt for another amp... any suggestions? I might get another old AC30, I have fond memories of an late 70s/early 80s one I had before. Or a Pro Reverb.. we'll see about that!

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    dalezjc, SoK66, Treehouse and 14 others like this.
  2. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

Did u try the TM twin? Isn't that more headroom?
    By the way, a fizz kind of sound mixed in with digital overdrive is fairly common with modelers.

3. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

The problem is you compared it to a CVR. The CVR is an all around awesome amp! I originally walked into the store with the intention of buying a DRRI and I ended up walking out with a CVR. Tighter in the lows, punchy, and cuts through a band mix without having to be obscenely loud. Basically you already had a much better amp.

It's like how a few years ago I bought a Mustang II amp for practice and goofing around at home. Sold it within 6 months.

4. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I have to admit that I'm jealous you were able to A/B both of those amps at home. You must either have a lot more space, a more indulgent spouse, or both than I! ;)

5. AlbertoMilanese

Yes I did, but it is WAY more expensive than I personally think it should be. Plus - another personal preference - I am WAY more into Silverface Twins - both sound and look-wise. I feel the Twin also broke up way too early - albeit at a much louder volume - than my old 70s Twin w/ JBLs ever did.

I hear you brother - there's a lot of hate for this amp online, but it's basically the only amp that has stayed with me since the late 90s. I've sold lots of other stuff, Voxes, Twins, Bassmans, you name it. But the CVR is just a great, convenient amp. Light enough to carry around, powerful enough to scare even loud drummers. It's a pocket knife in amp form!

tubelectron and Dan_Pomykalski like this.
  6. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

I stupidly bought a Vibro-King and then sold my CVR to my buddy. Every time he plays it in front of me I regret selling it. And yeah, the hate on them is ridiculous. Fender must have sold a whole lot of them since they were in their regular amp lineup unchanged for over 20 years. The hate online seems to be mostly from people who were expecting it to be a VibroVerb reissue. It's not a reissue and was never part of the reissue line.

SoK66 and AlbertoMilanese like this.
  7. AlbertoMilanese

Neither do I! Small practice room and an artist spouse who despises music (yup, these really do exists!). But I finally finished soundproofing my little room VERY carefully and now I can fire everything up cranked without fear of repercussions... work with what you got!

bsman likes this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hmmm... in the US the TMDR is $USD 900 and the TMTR is $USD 1,000 -- so only a $100 more. Is the difference in price more in the EU?

But as far as high headroom goes, JBLs give you the advantage!

pugnax and AlbertoMilanese like this.
  9. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Fenders own words...stunning facsimile. Lol....no thanks. Not for that kind of money.

10. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

Yup, and lower back EMERGENCY room, too! A Twin with JBLs: tonal heaven, but the weight, especially at my tender years- YEEEGH!:oops::D

mojek, Alamo, sleeperNY and 2 others like this.
  11. AlbertoMilanese

It's 1100 euros brand new, so around 1200 USD. I wouldn't have bought the Deluxe Reverb for the 1000 euro retail price either, I just happened to find a VERY good deal for it. But getting back to the Twin, for 1200 euros I could buy two Silverface Twins in usable condition or one Silverface Twin in good condition and a pair of vintage JBLs... with probably enough money left to pay somebody to move that heavy soab for me (or just get some JBL-voiced NEO replacements, I still need my back for a little longer)... so the pricing doesn't really make sense to me at all....

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  12. Thinline casket

Thinline casket Tele-Meister

You've got a great amp that does what you want band wise.

So either get something totally different like a brown, or get a black or silver Princeton for home practice.

Fretting out likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You made all that up hoping Fender would pay you to take it back, right?

AlbertoMilanese likes this.
  14. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

As we say in the Catskills, country of organ does matter.

Shecky

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  15. Dan_Pomykalski

Dan_Pomykalski TDPRI Member

I've seen a lot of people raving about the Tone Master amps. I would never even consider one though because I know in the back of my mind I'd always know I'd rather have the real thing. Plus are these even serviceable? I like the idea that if one of my amps fails, I have the option of replacing the parts.

jgmouton, black_doug and cravenmonket like this.
  16. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

Not entirely sure what you're looking for in contrast to the CVR you've already got. If you're looking for an amp with more clean headroom why not get an old SF Twin? As you've mentioned they're relatively inexpensive and it seems like you like the sound. Obviously they're also super heavy and a pain to move around but that's the trade off.

If you want a more contrasting tone, an AC30 certainly fits the bill and has a lot of clean headroom itself although nothing close to a SF Twin.

17. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Interesting reading this. I bought my PRRI a few months after the ToneMaster amps debuted, and I thought quite hard about getting one. In the end I just decided that the benefits of the ToneMaster just didn't add up to the versatility of a true tube amp. No matter how good the modeling is, no matter how sophisticated the programming, you are still getting someone else's idea of what the amp should sound like at any given volume. The organic element is removed. Tube amps can be a pain, they are expensive to maintain, and they can be unreliable. But once you decide on which circuit you want, it's all about that platform for building the tone you want. I think the ToneMaster is an extraordinary achievement, but it's still a conjuring act. It's an illusion.

18. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

please tell us how country of origan matters in this case.

dalezjc, OldPup, Mad Kiwi and 2 others like this.
  19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Congrats on the sale...

bftfender likes this.
  20. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

I expect to get flamed but here we go.

We are now about 2 generations removed from people who went to live shows every weekend, listened to their music on vinyl through high fidelity sound equipment. Everything now is overly processed, synthesized, digitized, compressed, "enhanced" whatever. We listen to music from Spotify on our laptops. If you do go to the local watering hole, your band is at best playing through giant pedalboards into diode clipping amplifiers, at worst through multi-effects right into the PA.

I'm not surprised anyone thinks those cold, buzzy, thin monstrosities are fine. They are not.

kookaburra, heffus, igor5 and 19 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.