1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So, I just noticed that I do not own a "proper" Telecaster -

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Patton, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

As the poorly taken pic shows I have two Squier Telecasters (a 2004 Custom II and a new Paranormal Carbronita) and the closest I have to a proper one, a Slick. The Slicks are generally not thought of well here but mine is exceptionally light and plays very well. I'm not sure I've warmed up to the pickups yet and the painted headstock bugs me a bit.

100_1566 (2).JPG

So here's my dilemma, do I piece one together by sourcing out the neck, body and deciding which pickups fit me? Or, do I look for a nice MIM and possibly alter it to my tastes? My last option is to get a nice MIM or MIA neck and swap the pickups out of the Slick.

And the real question, do I really NEED a proper Telecaster? (I have a feeling that question will be the easiest to answer here).

pippoman, KS6V and xtelesquirex like this.
  2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

The Slick looks proper to me, 3-barrels and tradition pickup configuration. Only you know if you need a "proper" telecaster.

Is there somewhere you can go play a MiM for yourself and see if you like it?

It seems like there are things you don't like about the Slick. Would you rather spend money to upgrade that or spend slightly more for a MiM?

Some people enjoy modding and upgrading guitars. I'm in the camp of buying something that's as close as it can be to what I want in its stock form. I happen to like the MiM Tele's quite a bit and the only modification I made was to replace the 6-saddle bridge with 3-barrels.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

if these sound great to you are set up and play properly , who cares , now if you come across the Deal that you gas over and it happens to be a MIM, MIA dive on it.
    I have a Squier affinity but shock amongst shocks the set up was great, the pickups were great, intonation dead on , it was cheap, so I gutted the elctronics pots. caps, switches. and cheap wiring replaced with quality parts , it didnt sound any different or play any different , but i have piece of mind.

4. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Looks like a nice selection of electric guitars. I also do not own a "proper Telecaster", as you say, but am quite happy with mine. One day I will have the spare coin around to buy a "stock" model, regardless of brand name.

radiocaster likes this.
  5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

And you actually tried to fool us with the avatar not showing the Slick headstock. Unacceptable.

That's it, you're outta here!:D

Patton, cat dude and Mike SS like this.
  6. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I think you need to redefine proper. To me a proper Telecaster is one that's comfortable to play that gives me the tone or sounds I want. Most of us have guitars we love that aren't quite "proper". It looks like you have three "proper" Telecasters. If there's something you want that you can't get on one of those, either modify it or add to the collection.

dougstrum likes this.
  7. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Of course you need a proper one. Of each color. Then move on to the ASATs and Reactors. Obviously.

;)

Squier has come a long way, as a brand snob, I like my stuff to say fender on the headstock, but if it works for you, you're golden. Its worth noting that I didn't like some of the MIM standards as much as the tele I ended up with when I got mine. I WANTED to like them, the early to mid 2000s had some nice colors available, but the neck on the FSR MIM I have was too good to pass up.

Anyway,
    You can scoop a Mexican one made from the 90s up until recently for $350+. If you aim cheap, you get boring colors. To spend less than $450, you have to watch for deals and make offers. It sounds hard, but if you compare it to looking for a late 80s Japanese jazzmaster, its actually really easy, just takes patience.

Reverb, CL, Ebay, Facebook marketplace. They show up. If you feel you need one.
    My MIM tele sounded great in my AB165 bassman. Is yours a '67 or '68?

8. tamer_of_banthas

tamer_of_banthas Tele-Holic

i like those squier 72 deluxe esque ones w. two P-90s. i don't think Fender Mexico ever did an equivalent of them so as a model, it's a unique thing.

9. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

From your post it seems the two things you don't like about the Slick are the painted headstock and the pickups. If everything else about the guitar is good, I would replace the pickups and do some research and see how hard it might be to just strip the headstock.

xtelesquirex likes this.
  10. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

IMO a proper tele must have a vintage 3 saddle bridge. To me THAT is the tele tone right there. Those strat style hard tail bridges and modern 6 saddles are fine if you like the sound, but to my ear they don't sound like what i love about teles. At least your slick has a vintage bridge from what i can see. But who knows what other things about it go against the creation of THE tone.

11. nixdad

nixdad Tele-Meister

If Leo could build it from parts, I can build it from parts.

12. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

They are all "proper"! Parts and official!

13. Patton

You guys are great! I should have stated in my post that by proper I mean one that says “Fender” on the headstock. A partscaster with a Fender neck is cool. The Squier thing isn’t an issue with me. This Slick, while sort of close, isn’t quite there.

For background, I owned a CIJ 52 RI Tele back in the early 2000’s and still kick myself for selling it. It had USA pickups and the neck was soooo nice. The Baja’s are now too rich for my blood so I’m thinking the Slick body might be a good starting point, as it’s very light for ash. Maybe a nice Fender 50’s RI neck and a pickup change are all I really need?

14. Patton

I’ll show myself out.

15. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

Depends on your point of view. For years, my only Tele-style guitar was a G&L ASAT Classic bought used. I've heard/read some people say that a G&L ASAT Classic is *not* the real deal vis-à-vis Telecasters. Still, that thing was my introduction to Tele-style guitars and all (or at least most of) the things we love about them -- prior to that, I liked Tele sounds but couldn't find one that spoke to me. The G&L definitely did.

Since then, I've added a "proper" Tele (Vintera Modified '50s) to my arsenal. There are some things it does that may be considered more "traditionally" Tele but, quite honestly, I wouldn't say the Vintera is more of a proper Tele than the G&L or vice versa. I love them both equally for slightly different characteristics, quirks, etc.

Still, YMMV, horses for courses, and all that, etc.

16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Two things, and they contradict one another;

1. I always advocate buying more guitars.
    Get whatever you want, as long as the kids aren't going hungry and there's enough gasoline in the truck.

and,

2. What's wrong, exactly, with the sounds and feel of the three Teles that you have there?
    Do you believe that a MIM or Corona California Tele is going to change the equation dramatically as far as your sonic landscape?
    Or is it an itch that much be satisfied with regard to factory brand-name bragging rights?

Here is the acid test.
    Tune up all three of your current guitars.
    Have some friends or family members sit in the room right next door.
    Set the amp and all the guitar Volume and Tone knobs to the exact same settings.
    Then, pick up one after the other, and play the exact same riffs and chords and songs.
    At a comfortably-loud volume.

Walk out into the other room, and ask your compatriots if they could tell the difference between any of the three guitars.

Chances are, they won't be able to.

Get the guitar(s) that you crave, as long as you can afford it.
    But first you have to be honest about your motivations, and you have to be willing to subject your current guitars to the "what's wrong with these guitars in the first place?" test.

o_O

bcorig likes this.
  17. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

People say I act like I don't care what other people think. It's not an act.

Only you can determine if they are "proper" or not.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Okay, I'll be the one to say it:

Trade all three of those things in for a proper Fender Standard Tele and be done with it.

I don't really mean that, but someone had to say it.:D

19. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You don’t have a “Fender” Telecaster which doesn’t mean they are not “proper” Telecasters. Is that OK with you?
    And to some my only Telecaster, a 6 saddle American Elite “Fender” Telecaster, is not a “proper” Telecaster because of the number of saddles; or because it has Noiseless pickups. And it goes on.
    When I finally decided it was time for a Telecaster, I was looking at G&Ls before mine found me but could not locate a dealership that had a variety for me to play. Full disclosure, the idea that my first wouldn’t be a Fender bothered me.
    @Sparky2 has the right idea.
    And I ask, is this a Proper Telecaster? It belongs to a friend.
    F0329082-2077-4A6E-A914-514809C42D30.jpeg

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm deep into bottom fishing. Find an inexpensive guitar with good bones and make it sound and look like I want.

Stop worrying about brand names, that's very 20th century. Everybody can make a good neck and body if they can program their CNC machines.

If that Slick was my project, I'd strip the headstock and put a coat of clear on it. Blow $49.95 on a set of Bootstrap pickups (don't be fooled by the price, these guys are the real deal). What's left? You already like the way it plays.

KS6V and Patton like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.