So I heard this version of the BeeGees' "Stayin' alive" and now I view that song differently

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Afflicted

I'm roughly the same age as you (a tad older) and most of what I listen to can loosely be described as guitar based rock music. That said, you could readily swap rock for disco in your statement and be equally correct. You basically just described any number of the biggest rock bands of the 70s -- Kiss, The Eagles, Journey, Styx, etc. . . For a lot of folks disco was a more authentic means of expression than anything going on with the classic rock scene which, let's face it, was fairly monolithic at that time.

2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

Call me a moron then

There was lots of talent involved, no doubt
    A lot of money changed hands
    The whole “scene” to me was stupid and self evolved

Disco sucked back then and, IMHO, still does. I’ve mellowed on a lot of things but this isn’t one of them

3. Martinp

Martinp Tele-Afflicted

yeah, maybe Disco sucked, but all the hot babes were there.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, they owe the record company their lives for deleting that bridge.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I appreciate you Blazer.

6. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

The Bee Gees were great songwriters, not really a fan of the chipmunk voices myself but loved the music.

tomkatf likes this.
  7. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

Thanks for that Blazer. I never knew that existed. The bridge was better lost to time. I always appreciated the Bee Gees and so many of those other bands just for what they were. And so many of those tunes are a blast. Great beats, interesting chords and fun melodies.

8. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

We were suburban surfers and live band rock crew when discos came about.... spent most of our time in faded levis and Tshrits...

However everyone had their disco costume to wear into city discos on mid week nights out..highwaisted flares, platform shoes, pointy collared shirts... louder/sicker the better...:lol:

Bouncers on the door would be the arbiters of the dress code.... not "disco" enough they wouldn't let you in... a/holes mostly...:p

that's where the girls were.. that's where you had to go... often the only show in town mid week..;)

9. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Good decision on the record companies part!

10. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Grateful Dead almost played it! I understand Mickey Hart was really into that style...this is as close as I heard! Fits with the segue!

11. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Give this version a spin...

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Dang that was a bazaar era to live through. I did my best Travolta to swoon the babes during college, and it was admittedly fun music to dance to, but yeah it was stupid pop crap compared to my Black Sabbath/Foghat/Blue Oyster stuff that I enjoyed at the time. With respect and my respect to @soulgeezer though, no doubt he picked the right genre to make some bucks with a band at the time compared to my best friend jumping backyard fences with amp in one hand and a flying Vee in the other escaping illegal home parties.:rolleyes:

13. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

I hated it then, & I hate it now.

14. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I played my own 35th high school reunion years ago, and two songs were noteworthy in the audience response.

After one song ended, I introduced a KC and the Sunshine Band song, and then ripped into a crisp, metal, distorted guitar version of Boogie Shoes, and we rocked the **** out of that song.
    The dance floor filled up, and we made that song last 7 minutes long.

Later in the next set, I played a solo (vocal and guitar) rendition of The Bee Gees song, How Deep Is Your Love.
    Our lead guitarist left the stage in disgust (this was a staged bit, mind you) and I crooned into that song, with our drummer and bass player softly accompanying me.
    At a certain point, with the drum rhythm tapping right along, I switched gears and began playing the Dm chord of Pink Floyd's song Brick In The Wall.

Our lead guitar player came back on stage and we killed that Pink Floyd classic.
    It was a lot of fun.

Disco.
    It's less an attitude than it is a segue.

:)

tomkatf likes this.
  15. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Chalk one up for the record company. The bridge kills the song. Never regains it’s groove.

16. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

So much talent in that family.

17. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I wish I could take the credit. It was our lead singer who owned the band and made the call to switch from covering Judas Priest and Led Zeppelin to covering Sylvester, Prince, Shiela E, and the Weather Girls. Damn was she right! No other band on the circuit got booked like we did!

Obsessed likes this.
  18. Rumblur

Rumblur Tele-Meister

did disco suck? yes and no. Yes because radio programmers and mass media forced it on us 24/7 and ignored the rest of popular music... and yes, because it grossly influenced other genres such as southern rock (CDB, totally sold out) and country (Kenny Rogers, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly, etc).

No, because it was usually very well done MUSIC. Writing, arrangement, production and performance were high.

And the Bee Gees were IMHO, better than the Beatles. WHAT?!?? Actually Barry Gibb was better than Lennon/McCartney to be more clear. Gibb was a #1 writer and relevant for what, 4-5 decades? The Beatles sucked as soon as they broke up. None of them came within a lightyear of Barry Gibb post-'69.

19. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Wings?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.