So I have signed up for a yoga class

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Where's the class? I think you do or did live near me.

My fear with taking a class is killing the time that's come back to touch my guitars but I understand the benefits. There are some yoga moves in the non-sport exercises I do.

blowtorch likes this.
  2. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Don't feel bad. My wife is a yoga assistant...her job is to do exactly that: as the teacher is doing their routine, she walks around the room and helps people adjust their positions to get the most out of the practice. It's beneficial to have someone correct or adjust your posture. Even the most experienced yoga enthusiasts take value from a proper assist.

blowtorch likes this.
  3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm gonna PM that to you

4. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Our company has been adding extracurricular activities to help foster a more social, fun atmosphere. One of the things they added was yoga classes. I haven't joined yet, but I am thinking about it. It has to be a good thing, especially as we get older.

blowtorch likes this.
  5. blowtorch

ac15, I've been doing it on and off for a few years now, as this thread documents.
    I often don't feel like attending, but I am always very glad i did. Every single time.

It sorts things out and unclutters things, for me, both physically and mentally, and it somehow leaves me simultaneously both energized and relaxed.

There's no real need to join a class, as there are plenty of youtube offerings, but, I've just recently read that people who join live sessions report much more benefit than those who do it on their own.

dr_tom likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What??
    Four years later and you're still hanging with the Yogis?
    BT, you still there?

I could never handle Yoga classes because the spandex killed my focus.

william tele and blowtorch like this.
  7. blowtorch

it improves mine :cool:

william tele and telemnemonics like this.
  8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He was talking about spandex on others...

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. blowtorch

Man, I tell ya...I'd take pics for you guys, but I think that'd get me banned from those sessions...:p

10. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

That's an interesting scenario. I always notice levels of fitness or can make jokes about good and bad naked but I do another sport with younger women, with my wife and clue into my daughter's sports actives. As attractive as the bodies can be they're also performance tools with personalities and souls. I try to be respectful.

Self-image is also crazy. Most of my guy friends don't worry about it. My wife thinks she's "an old bag" but yesterday an associate who sees her biking or hiking was trying for the right words to say impressive. My wife didn't believe it.

:)

blowtorch and telemnemonics like this.
  11. blowtorch

yes, I am respectful in person, but a pig to you guys here. as per the usual :p

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

One of the funniest things about human nature (besides the difficulty we have seeing ourselves) is the typical response to suggestions of doing Yoga along the lines of: "I can't because I'm tense and stiff", or a typical response to suggestions to meditate, like: "I can't meditate because my mind is always racing".

It's like saying "I can't get a job because I don't have any money".

Or maybe "I can't get out in nature or visit friends because I'm too busy keeping up on FB".

Has Western skepticism and overly analytical thinking killed our ambitious curiosity and ability to walk blindly into the unknown?

Modern passive curiosity sends us on a Google search to find reasons to not get out more.

blowtorch likes this.
  13. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Men seem to be afraid of yoga. What opened my eyes up was actually going to yoga practices and seeing other dudes there...and they're not all skinny vegans.

Or, look at it through this lens: nearly every stretch that your favorite sports team does before a game is probably some variation of a yoga pose. Is yoga too girly for Aaron Rodgers, Miguel Cabrera, or Henrik Zetterberg? Oh, hell no! In fact, the local AHL team partnered up with my wife's studio to do some midseason off-ice training and conditioning, using the same type of routine that they do for Sunday night community classes. Yoga is pretty intense, and uses no equipment outside of your own body. The meditative aspect feels great as well.

dr_tom, blowtorch and telemnemonics like this.
  14. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Nice thread bump. This was my reply back in Sept 2014. In the last 3+ years, I have attended over 300 yoga classes. I switched from the gym to the Sun Touch Studio here in Houston and I love their Hot Hatha classes. 75 minutes, 99 degrees, I love it! I pay for a years membership at a time with unlimited classes, and I definitely get my money's worth.

Yoga is a key aspect of my health and happiness. I can't imagine growing old without doing yoga on a regular basis. Highly recommended for everyone, to say the least.

telemnemonics and dr_tom like this.
  15. MandyMarie

MandyMarie Friend of Leo's

Yoga can be *wonderful* for people with back pain. It's truly changed my life!

16. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Mandy,

Great to see you here again. :)

Yes, my back would be in huge trouble if it weren't for yoga.. Life changing indeed.

I'm also seeing more and more guys coming to the classes, which is good.

Take care ya'll... Namaste

17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I've gone to yoga class weekly and do it at home twice a week for the last 2 years. It's helped to fix my bad lower back, keeps me flexible, and helps 'center' me mentally.

I recommend you do it. Stop thinking about what it means, or what it is, or having any preconceived attitudes about it. Just do it consistently for a few months and be open to seeing the benefits. Everyone starts off slowly. Try a beginners' class at first. You'll gain flexibility as time goes by.

It's been practiced by men and women alike for thousands of years because it works. I'll keep at it because I'd like to be in the best physical condition I can in order to enjoy my life. I'm 63 and don't fancy being someone who can't move as he ages because he didn't move enough when he could.

18. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

it might get you banned here too.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. blowtorch

So, three workplaces later, just took part in the first company-sponsored yoga session of the season.

I'm the only guy in the class, and the instructor is very pleasant on the eyes.

Man, I can't believe A)I get paid to do this, and 2)that other guys are so oblivious

Chunkocaster and Pechorin like this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Have you kept it up for the past 5 years?
    Managed to get ankles behind ears yet?

Shuster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.