So I have signed up for a yoga class

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ashplank

ashplank TDPRI Member

" I'm in no shape to exorcise"

2. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

We sit in a park for lunch in the summer , very entertaining when there are yoga lessons

3. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

The good thing is you only go as extreme in the poses as your body lets you. You never try to force anything. The first day you may not be able to bend hardly at all. Then the next day you can do a little more, and so on. Sure you will be a little sore, and some days it will seem like you are going backwards but it is only you body healing and realigning and resetting itself. The next day you will progress even further. Yes it's a workout but it's an easy easy no stress workout.
    Compared to running, aerobics, or weights it's a walk in the park, with faster a better results.

4. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

You're going to like it.

We have chair massages at work and for about 6 months a group of women at work tried to get weekly yoga at work. 4 guys (me included) signed up for yoga and the company brought in the instructor. I had no clue but I'll try anything.

Lots of stretching. It feels good. I guess that it becomes exercise but it feels like really good stretching.

We had no farting but I guarantee that people will snore. You twist and turn (we were in low light with new age music) and the stretching gets so comfortable that you can fall asleep right on your mat.

One of my sales guys is a big dude. He's tall and built and hikes and hunts and fishes and he lives outdoors when he's not working. He fell asleep and started snoring during 3 classes. All the ladies though it was absolutely charming (it's a good natured bunch).

I've had shoulder pain for some time and I thought it was great. I would do it again if we brought it back.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014
  5. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

Watch this

blowtorch and Gator Strat like this.
  6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

So, the dating websites not workin', eh? Careful, you're likely to meet someone who can tie you into a pretzel. :twisted:

My wife has done yoga for 15-20 years. For her it falls somewhere between 'more than just exercise', and 'not quite a whole lifestyle'. She loves it, and gets a lot from it. But I remember it wasn't that way for her in the first few years. It can be deceptively difficult.

Start slow. If you think you like it at all, keep at it for a whole year before giving up. My two cents.

Also, if one class/teacher isn't doing it for ya, try a different venue. Instructors can be idiosyncratic. Find one you like.

7. jonrpick

jonrpick Friend of Leo's

I was just about to post the above video...

Diamond Dallas Page (DDP) co-wrote the book "Yoga for the Regular Guy" with my chiropractor (Dr. Craig Aaron), who's also a Yoga instructor. I'm leaving in 10-15mins to go see Craig for an adjustment. He's been on me for years to take up Yoga.

He recently just moved back to upstate NY but is in town to wrap up some loose ends on his house that just sold. So... looks like I gotta find a new chiropractor or actually take his advice and start me some Yoga.

Check out his & DDP's book as well...

Yoga for Regular Guys: The Best Damn Workout on the Planet! - Kindle edition by Diamond Dallas Page, Rob Zombie, Craig Dr Aaron. Health, Fitness & Dieting Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qmqvkR52L.@@AMEPARAM@@51qmqvkR52L

8. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Yoga's good, very very good. It's flowing here nowness.

9. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I've started going to Yoga classes on Saturdays at the 24 Hour Fitness gym I'm a member of.

Its a lot more intense that I ever imagined it would be, which is good. Yep, lots of excellent stretching, much needed... but its also the core work, planks, strength training, balance and everything else all in one.

I'm loving it, highly recommended.... enjoy!

10. jackxiv

jackxiv TDPRI Member

Doom Yoga is amazing, and everything: Flexibility, stamina, core strength, balance, muscle tone, etc.

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

-great workout
    -really hard at first, and weird/un-western.
    you get used to it.
    -hot chicks everywhere in yoga pants.

12. dr.chevalier

dr.chevalier Tele-Holic

I did p90x a couple years ago. It has a 90 minute yoga workout once a week. While some diehard yoga fanatics may not agree with everything in it, I loved it. I didn't do it the first couple weeks, one from the soreness from the first couple workouts before, two because being a typical country boy, I was skeptical. Holy wow was it a workout. 45 minutes of vinyasas with a push-up during each 'rep'. Really got the blood flowing. I'm fairly flexible but it really helped me stretch out and feel good in the process.

13. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

My wife's a certified yoga instructor...The few times she's dragged me along, it's been quite fun. It really kicked my ass, that's for sure.

14. Justinvs

Justinvs Poster Extraordinaire

Take class, or do not take class.
    There is no try...

Sorry, I thought you said Yoda class.

15. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Oh hell no. :lol: It took me a whole summer of working on it to get the lotus position.

I did yoga for about five years, but am just getting back into it after a few years off, and I wouldn't even TRY lotus yet.

Try this one:
    [​IMG]

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Toward the end of my doctoral work, I was a bundle of knots. Everything I tried, stretching-wise, felt good and produced good results. But, 6-7 years later, I still had some places that were a mess. Stumbling around in a bookstore, I came across a book from the American Physical Therapy Association, or some such organization. It looked good, so I decided to devote 2 hours a day, doing every stretch in the book, for the prescribed number of reps or counts. It was my intention to be as non-judgmental as possible, by not picking and choosing things that I intuitively thought would help with my particular problems. So, I would start on the first page and finish the last page two hours later.

One of the first things I discovered was that the thigh bone is connected to the hip bone, meaning that a stretch in one part of the body could be followed by relief in another part of the body. Probably the most well-known examples of this is the neck/shoulder tightness could be relieved by stretching the wrists (hands, really) down. Then back.

The reason for writing this is to point out that a certain pose may not look like it will produce relief somewhere, but with time, actually does have such an effect. I'm writing this with a degree of caution, because if I am going through the entire book, how would I ever know which stretch does what. I won't go into how I also spent time isolating stretches, and noting which kind of relief I got.

As others have said or intimated, there is more to yoga than merely stretching for the sake of flexibility.

Now that I have partial paralysis in my legs and feet, everything has changed.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It's good to practice with a teacher, because there are ways you can stretch and over extend joints if you just go by pictures in books.

My problem with classes is I find it very difficult to focus on the breath when surrounded by women in spandex.

Yeah, it's funny how the idea that being inflexible makes Yoga seem like not such a good thing to try.
    Kinda like when your car isn't running well is not a good time to bring it to the mechanic.

I suspect that if you can play guitar you will not be the worst Yogi in the class...

18. echale iii

echale iii Tele-Holic

Ahhhh, Savasana.... Every yoga session ends, or should end, with Savasana.

My wife and I have both been doing yoga for 3-4 years now, and she's just finishing up her 200-hour yoga teaching certification. She got started when the company she worked for gave her a free month-long membership at the Gold's Gym up the road. She tried yoga (she'd been doing dance ever since she was a kid) and loved it.

At about the same time, my doctor (from India) had given me a checkup and told me that my blood pressure was going up and that I needed to make some lifestyle changes or else I'd be on medication. He recommended yoga as being beneficial, so I tried it based on his recommendation, even though at the time I was about as flexible as a 2x4.

14 fused vertebra supported by a pair of steel rods and the 3 lumbar vertebra that can still move being rather arthritic don't help in the flexibility department.

Let's just say that at first, yoga kicked my ass, but I kept with it and it's been very beneficial. I still have to do some modifications to certain asanas and can't fully get into others because of my back issues, but I have developed a good bit more flexibility than I had before by working at it. As a bonus, my chronic pain levels have decreased and my BP is now on the low end of normal (thanks also to my having become a high-intensity spin class instructor).

It doesn't matter what your starting point is, it's a journey that has to start somewhere, and where you are now is a good place to start.

19. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Yoga is great for general health, and while I don't really dig it as a primary exercise, it's really worked wonders for me as a support exercise. Took care of my back pain from cycling, muscle knots from running and lifting, etc. Not to get weird, but I look back on the time in my life when I was less active, and the difference in how I feel is astounding - and a huge, HUGE portion of that is being well stretched. I scoff a bit at the spiritual stuff, but the stretching in a good yoga routine is second to none.

20. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

Yeh.

I'd try that one.

Sorry to lower the tone. :lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.