So I have signed up for a yoga class

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

It's a one-time half hour session offered free, through work. The propaganda says I will be taught a "relaxing and energizing slow flow class that combines movement and breath in a serene vinyasa practice".

I'm a newcomer to this and just thought I'd check it out and see what all the fuss was about.

I really don't know what to expect.

I have heard that people fart a lot during these things.

FenderGyrl and ac15 like this.
  2. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Google "Yoga pants". And remember to sit near the back of the class... ;) Have fun!

3. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My work place has these free Yoga sessions every quarter, I have yet to attend one. I always seem to have some type of fire to put out. Good luck, maybe you will take to it.
    On Saturday mornings, a group of my neighbors get together by the neighborhood pool to do Tai Chi. I really want to go down there and try it out.

4. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Tele-Afflicted

I took a yoga class once. There were more than one hot girl also in the class. Worth the effort just for that alone.

ac15 likes this.
  5. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I have three friends (two women, one not a woman) who all swear by Yoga as a means of improving overall health (low-impact cardio, improved circulation, increased flexibility and core strength) and of heading off lower back / joint pain before it kicks off.

Like all things, it took them a while to see any tangible benefit, but a few months in and they're loving it.

If you don't try, you'll never know.

6. JayJ

JayJ Tele-Afflicted

I think I should try it, I am so tense anxious and angry.

The problem is, I am inflexible, I cannot even touch my toes. My girlfriend on the other hand, can put hers behind her head. I'll leave you with your imagination...

7. blowtorch

JayJ last night I was trying for the lotus position, which I understand is like the most basic position. I was like, uh, no , that aint gonna work. :lol:

8. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It is not a basic position. It is not introduced in any beginner's yoga class I've been to.

Here is a basic one: child's pose

[​IMG]

That is just another reason to try it. To think you can't start at yoga because you're not flexible is putting the cart before the horse. Yoga will make you more flexible. At first when you are not flexible you will still be able to learn and benefit from the classes. And if you can't do a particular position you don't have to do it.

...imo

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

10. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

downward facing dog...

You cannot walk a block in SF without seeing a bunch of people carrying yoga mats and everyone seems to do that and pilates. I think the more you do yoga, the more flexible you will become and I think the instructors are pretty cool about people just starting out.

I have several friends who do the bikram 'hot' yoga and love it... and they say there is much tooting to be had, but everyone is in it for the exercise and nobody cares...

I think exercise is good for us and does reduce anger and stress and it helps us find some balance in a crazy world.. so, go for it!

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I need to know more about ohms too.

12. teleforumnoob

teleforumnoob Friend of Leo's

I've been at it for about a month. Mostly thru self study but I have been to one class.
    Best stuff ever. I felt benefits immediately. If you can't find or afford a class get this book
    [​IMG]

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am inflexible, too. The irony is that inflexible bodies would benefit the most from yoga but it's the flexible bodies that are more attracted to yoga, because it suits them.

I did a few classes with my wife and she still laughs over how sweaty I got -- and it wasn't hot yoga!

14. jackxiv

jackxiv TDPRI Member

We have actually started a chapter of Doom Yoga where I live. We do yoga almost every day to Doom metal (SunnO, Earth, Om, Sleep, etc.)

I took a yoga class in college, and started this as a way to keep it up. We started out as three dudes doing yoga at my house, but we have taken on like 20 members and had to move to a bigger house. I didn't really expect it to catch on like it did.

Anyway, I am one of the two leaders of the group. I love leading AND doing yoga. My body is much happier with me since I started. If you can make yourself do it a few times a week for a couple of months, you will be hooked. You start to see improvement REALLY quickly.

Beware though: it is a little more than stretching. You may find yourself tired, hot and sweaty! :)

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. blowtorch

"You start to see improvement REALLY quickly. "

Improvement in what? flexibility?

Doom yoga sounds pretty cool

16. teleforumnoob

I'd been working out of the Hittleman book about 2 weeks and on a visit went to a class w my brother in law. He was all smug about how I was gonna get me a new a hole torn by the little gal leading the class. I admit it was tough, but I did very well. Impressed the instructor and my brother in law how well I did having never had a class. The only thing I had trouble with was a balance on one leg thing that I hadn't been introduced to yet.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

All I know is "Om mani padme hum". Clearly the hum is referring to a tube amp.

po-boy likes this.
  18. teleforumnoob

Yes, and especially posture. Also muscle tone.

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Banned

I'm the least flexible man on Earth. Just doing a few positions would probably result in my whole body being FUBAR.

20. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Me too. Then you keep going back and it gets better.

Like with running. I went running one morning this month and I could barely walk for the next week. Whereas previously in life I could go running multiple times a week.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.