So I had an audition...

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
At a large church to play bass. My daughters actually attend that church and since I haven't played in church in a while my daughters told their new creative guy that I played and might be willing to assist.
I had a meeting first over coffee to just assess the situation and see if I was even interested. After coffee I agreed to take the next step which was meeting the team and watching some rehearsals and such.
So far so good and then the A word was mentioned. Time for an audition.

So I gather up my gear taking my William Campbell Pendragon 5 bass and my small pedal board.

In preparing for the audition I was playing a lot through garage band on the IPad with the tracks in the background. It is not the best and it is kind of buzzy as all the computer equipment contributes to the noise but it is better than making the neighbors angry with a 4x10 rattling the windows.
So I get the audition and we end up in a music room with just the creative guy and me. I ended up using the house rumble 25 (Ver1) that they had there with my bass and pedal board. As I plug in I notice that the Rumble is buzzing pretty good. So I adjust the tone controls but still can't get that buzz to go away and my bass sounds weird, like a car that has had a couple of spark plugs missing.

Anyway I persevere and I think I am in, just waiting to be scheduled.

So last night I grab the dragon to do a little practice and it is buzzing really bad in the IPad, more than normal. I decide to just run some scales so I grab my Rumble 25 (the new one which is dead quiet) and plug in the headphones and the bass is buzzing bad. I changed cables and the buzz is still there and since I don't have the pedal board plugged in it has to be the bass.

I pull the back plate and start looking around to see if something has moved and to my dismay I see that the bridge pup lead that goes to the blend pot is just hanging out in the cavity. It is occasionally making contact with the jack causing a really heavy buzz.

Apparently when I decided to replace the batteries before the audition I pulled on the wires a little too hard and broke a connection. I am such a moron!

Telecaster582

Tele-Afflicted
That's just sad. Luckily I don't gig so I don't have to worry if that happens, because it keeps happening on my strat, one second it's good, and the next second it's not. I think the problem is the jack plate because a screw stripped and there's no screw there to seal it of. But anyway this ain't my thread so I'll keep quiet

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
That's just sad. Luckily I don't gig so I don't have to worry if that happens, because it keeps happening on my strat, one second it's good, and the next second it's not. I think the problem is the jack plate because a screw stripped and there's no screw there to seal it of. But anyway this ain't my thread so I'll keep quiet

Oh it gets better, I go under the hood and find the issue, solder it all back together and we are good, till we ain't. A week later the buzz is back Saturday while practicing. All of the sudden it goes from quiet to buzzy in the middle of my practice. I thought it was a cable, so I swapped those out and it still buzzed. Then I ditched the pedal board and went direct to the amp, still buzz. Figured it had to be the guitar so opened it up to check the work I did last week.

Seems apparently the trim pot that controls the preamp, the small leads that come out of the trim pot broke off of the ground line. While trying to scrape away the coating so I could solder the lead back I break one of the other connections. This guitar is 20 years old so it is probably just age for a trimmable pot.
Good thing Mouser is only a few towns over so I should have a new pot on Wednesday.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Ibanez TMB30 for $240. Boom.

1656341778690.png

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A "moran" is someone who blames everything and solves nothing. You solved both problems through deduction and knowledge. You don't get to feel like a moron, sorry.

Congrats on getting the gig.

old soul

Tele-Holic
Nice! Too bad about the buzz, but it must not have made too bad of impression since you got a call to go back

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Just an update on this.

It is not a paying gig but at a really large church who really vet their players.

I ended up asking about filling in on bass on the Wednesday service before the Sunday I was to play to just make sure that everything plugged in all right and such. Was then asked to play Electric Guitar #2 (rhythm guitar) for the Wednesday service.

I have not played Electric live in five months!!!

Well I did pretty good on Electric on Wednesday (actually played a guitar I picked up on Monday -Schecter PT1) and then I played ole Red (4 string P '63 custom) on Sunday and it cut through the mix like butter.