So I Guess The Album is Dead

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Aug 10, 2019.

1. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

If you read the whole post you’d see I was referring to the thumb drive he is trying to use and NOT CDs. Lol I even put thumb drive in all caps. Not reading the post entirely makes YOUR opinion invalid. I have MANY CDs and still use tube amps as well. :)

steadyriot and EddieLocrian like this.
  2. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Heck, even most laptops don't have a CD/Blu-Ray player any more.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I pay 100.00 a year for pandora, i can download all manner of off beat records to listen to in their entirety.. no messing with discs or thumbdrives.... man, feeling the love with the kia! oh man!

rcole_sooner and LunarSlingShot like this.
  4. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

A used, large ipod was my first thought too. They cheap on ebay. Get the largest storage capacity one you can find. Most rental cars now have usb plugs so you can always plug in the ipod. I guess it's basically just a big thumb/flash drive, which you could also use I suppose but isn't as easy to navigate. Perhaps if you only navigate via the car's stereo though.

ooglybong likes this.
  5. trackerdan

trackerdan Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Welcome to the 21st Century. My turns coming.

6. nvosmeier

nvosmeier Tele-Meister

It's takes a little time, but some systems sort alphabetically by filename and others by the title of the song. You can list the songs in the order that you want by placing 1, 2, 3 etc in front of the title of the song and/or the filenames of the song and they should play in order.

7. Bluesmaster-Ben

Bluesmaster-Ben TDPRI Member

Maybe you should consider asking for help in a constructive way instead of blaming a younger generation for your problems. How many of the senior engineers who make decisions about what soundsystem technology ends up in each car model do you think are Millenials? That's right, probably not very many. It is much more likely a Baby Boomer with an attitude similar to yours making dumb decisions instead of working together as a team and making informed smart product decisions.

I too prefer listening to albums and have run into similar issues. One thing you can do to make your music collection work better in your Kia is to use an mp3 tag editor which will take information embedded in your id3 tags and use it to automatically rename your files. If you use windows, the best option I have found is called mp3tag

https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

Maybe the "millenial dweebs" like myself are a valuable resource to be taken seriously as you likely wanted to be when you were our age.

8. ScubaGeek

ScubaGeek Tele-Meister

I have a new Walkman, and it plays albums just fine. Can you get an audio device that can be patched into the KIA stereo, either via the headphone out or bluetooth?

9. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

Hey, leave Gen-Xers out of it! There aren’t enough of us to matter. Besides, we know how to use batch renamer software... :lol:

2 Headed Goat and Heathfinn like this.
  10. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

I'll say this issue has less to do with technology that with the market. Most (younger) consumers are not interested in full-length albums as a form of artistic expression. It's just singles. Technology did have a lot to do with influencing consumer preferences. When online retailers started offering the option to download single songs, that's what people did. So we have gone back to the future, with a cyber version of 45s. In keeping with this, artists seem less inclined to make coherent, consistent, album-length recordings.

For those our age, who grew up with the "album" as the essential and most prevalent form of pop culture, this whole trend is a cryin' shame. Think of all the perfectly good songs that you might not buy individually as a "45", but which fit in well and add a lot to an album, as complimentary tracks. And think even beyond the music. There is the care and purpose of assembling the album artwork, liner notes, credits. I believe all that has been lost. Think of the joy you used to get from buying a new record. Opening it, looking at the photos and art on the jacket, reading the notes, digesting the booklets of extras that often came along. It was more than music - it was a cultural artifact.

All gone now?

ooglybong likes this.
  11. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

I feel your pain. This is one of the reasons I chose to buy a 2016 Mazda CX5 that was used with low miles over a brand new 2017. It still had a CD player in it.

ooglybong likes this.
  12. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

I would not be so sure about this. Most memory sticks survive a ride in the washing machine. At least long enough to copy the content of it. I have seen CD's fail from being in too warm car in summer or from sitting in a pouch and some reaction happening between the 2 sorts of plastic.

13. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

The OP asked a simple question, how to make a brain dead car stereo play songs on a usb stick in the right order. Maybe the way he stated it was not the most polite one, but still. I understand where he is; He cannot copy the files on his work laptop or phone because of office policy. Getting a personal phone is also problematic as most car systems allow only one phone at a time to be connected to the system by bluetooth.
    So the best options are either use some program that renames the track files on the stick according to the tags in the files or get some kind op mp3 player or phone by use of an aux cable. Another option could be to get a phone that accepts 2 sim cards and put the one from work in that phone and your personal so that the phone responds to both numbers and then you can copy the songs on that phone which is yours and have that one connected to BT.

14. mikecorey

mikecorey TDPRI Member

Ah, the good old days. And installing them yourself. That was always fun.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.