So I Guess The Album is Dead

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Aug 10, 2019.

1. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This sounds like a good plan.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

It really goes back to the early 90's when pop artists were manufactured by labels. Most of the time the $20 CD albums consisted of one hit and 8 to 10 tracks of awful drek. This created one of the main drivers for Napster and iTunes single song purchases.

FloInPA likes this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My condolences to you, for your having to drive a Kia Optima.

4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Younger generations who want to listen to albums, are pushing against a serious headwind. The least we could do is stand our ground and continue buying and listening to albums in some form. I've bought 60 CDs this year. You haven't told me how your life is better or richer now, than it was when I presume you were still listening to albums.

Listening to an album, end to end, preferably multiple times, is like reading a book instead of listening to someone on TV tell you what the book says - or waiting for the movie to come on TV. I think folks who choose a "superficial" approach to consumption of any of these kinds of things, pretty much get what they bargained for.

ooglybong, ndcaster and Jim622 like this.
  5. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

There's a fantastic scene in Boogie Nights where Alfred Molina enthusiastically discusses his love of mix tapes and bemoans the opposite sentiment about albums, because he doesn't like being told what to listen to or when to listen to it. My Awesome Mix Tape #6 playing in the background...:D:D

alfred4.jpg

6. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice

7. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

CDs are better. Sound better than (small) MP3s for sure.
    Also, CDs as a medium could physically outlast a wafer thin slice of memory stick.

ooglybong likes this.
  8. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Seems a bit dramatic to pronounce the album dead because your Kia stereo lacks features. Probably the V8 is going to survive too, even though the Kia Optima doesn’t have one.

9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

TDPRI, you’ve finally outdone yourself with this thread.

Apparently boomers, genXers, hippies, and casual music listeners are all to blame for... What? Being able to listen to music in your car in more ways than any of us dreamed would ever be possible even 20 years ago?

Death of the album? Really? That’s what this is all about? Riiiiiiigghhhht.

First world problems would be a nice way to put it.

10. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My phone plays album order, I just blue tooth to it, and enjoy my music ... full albums, in album song order.

My wife prefers to create song lists, just the difference in preferences, not age/generation related at all.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  11. TheMindful

TheMindful Tele-Meister

I listen to albums every day and I just released an album, not dead just figure your tech out.

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Most recent model cars no longer have CD players.

FloInPA, ooglybong and RyCo1983 like this.
  13. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Wow you are super cranky. What a hater.

You are complaining that the album is dead because you are trying to play them using an outdated media device on a car that was made this year?? The problem is you are trying to use a form of media that was flawed for playing music in a car even when it first came out! I've never had luck using a THUMBDRIVE for playing music in the car. Sorry, not sorry, for being a bit rude (since you shot at my whole generation), but it just sounds like you're a bit daft when it comes to technology.

iPods have been around for 17 years now. I was 11. Just about EVERY car now a days has the option to use an aux cord or even bluetooth. I use it all the time to listen to FULL albums that contain all of my millennial music.

14. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I do use a thumb drive in my truck. I do this so I can keep my truck rolling through the albums and songs, and then use my phone to spot pick particular albums I want while running, cycling, golfing, or hanging around the pool. This leaves my truck always picking up where it left off. No thinking required. I can always easily switch to blue tooth to spot pick and album off my phone.

I use a program called Fatsort, which does a decent job of getting the thumb drive sorted into album order.

15. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It was weird to adjust to!

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

True. Since I bought a newer car without CD usually listen to Sirius XM or what I download to a USB stick. I like to rip live concerts from YouTube to put on the stick which is a lot of fun.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  17. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Hater = Millennial-speak for "different opinion". :eek:

ooglybong likes this.
  18. EddieLocrian

that's true, I'm still driving one from 2002 and the CD/Stereo in it is awesome, as is the climate control. Our other car, the exact newer version is worse at both.

I keep the old one :)

ooglybong likes this.
  19. EddieLocrian

Oh dear, back in the day CDs worked perfectly in cars. As you haven't experienced both sides of the coin I believe that makes your opinion invalid young man.
    Besides new stuff is cheaper not better, this is why we still like tube amps.
    Also please don't listen to that millennial music, because its awful and not as good as old music.
    :)

ooglybong and notmyusualuserid like this.
  20. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I called him a hater because he obviously has a bias against millennial “dweebs”

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.