So I Guess The Album is Dead

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Aug 10, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

the single format makes lots more sense than albums. One song, standing or falling on it's own merits. the way it used to be, and the way it was meant to be.

unless you're talking a "greatest hits collection", the album is a hippy-contrived bloated overindulgence and overstatement of the artist's importance/significance.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Most of the auto brands outsource their entertainment systems to suppliers who often outsource the coding.
    How many people try to use Google maps to check traffic and alternate routes when caught in a choke point and Google migrated the interface to a complex two-handed operation for most things it seems...

Apple and their iTunes killed the album projects with single song downloads. Why buy the whole $20 CD when you only want that one or two songs for $1-$2?

Renaming and re-tagging has seemed like the only solution.

3. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Unless I miss my guess, the OP's drive has MP3s on it.

Back when, I had the same problem with CDs full of MP3 files being played alphabetically. CD-ROM format requires the files to be stored alphabetically. Redbook audio does not. Some players will respect the track number tags, some do not. Tags were a sort of afterthought anyway.

I hacked mkisofs to allow alternate ordering. Tried to submit a patch, but the maintainer was a jerk who didn't want any patches, even for bug fixes.

And 3700 songs? It is to laugh. I plugged in a terabyte drive and wondered why fit didn't work. Turns out yhe car was trying to index the whole drive every time I started the car. And yhe car's index only held 75000 songs anyway.

Modman68 likes this.
  4. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Even if I don't care for a particular car's audio system most all have had an input jack or bluetooth for a good while now that allows playing what and how you want from your mobile device.

The rest is your just being grumpy or poor product choices. The market's interest in albums changed a long time ago now. I recall portable music players with MP3 format 20+ years ago and I think the iPad was 2001.

My experience is the car company player's are always kind of stupid and and also dictated by the OEM products they choose. Now you can choose a lot of vehicles with an Apple or Google pane of glass. They'll always be ahead of or better than what the car companies do as a whole.

LunarSlingShot and RyCo1983 like this.
  5. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

" Too bad it's a company phone. I try to keep personal stuff off it as much as possible "

I get that but I'm assuming that the stereo is bluetooth. Why not use your own phone for that ?

I put a 128G card in my phone just for music. One of my car stereos is BT. One is older so I just plug into the headphone jack and into that one. You can then hit shuffle or play straight through . I'm pretty confident that a new car stereo can handle either of those two input options.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

A 2019 model vehicle from most any manufacturer would have a Bluetooth option with the stereo. Why not stream from the music library on your phone? At least the album would play back in the proper order.

7. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We went from "get off my lawn" to "get off of my homestead".

Well done sir!

But seriously.
    The album does remain important in some circles, but the mainstream drives it, and doesn't really value the album format. It's not a profitable focus.

8. portsider

portsider Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Get off my lawn?

RyCo1983 likes this.
  9. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

Do you have your own computer that runs Windows? "Bulk Rename Utility" will let you auto-number files based on their ID3 tags.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The iPod is now redundant with smart phones, since they store and play music files. There's no longer a compelling reason to carry a single-purpose piece of hardware.

bgmacaw and OldDude2 like this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Give me 300 “perfect” albums, I’ll write the code to sort them from No. 1 to No. 300. You know you be skipping a song or two, don’t deny it :D

Otherwise everyone already covered it.

imwjl likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You probably need to find a higher quality rumor mill. It hasn't been 3 months since Apple did an iPod update.

The public WiFi I manage in our stores show iPods as frequent visitors. Parents I know and people I know with MDM software restricting their work issued phones still buy them. The older iPods we have are perfect for events where you don't want the risk of someone stealing your phone. They aid Apple's services revenue stream.

Modman68 likes this.
  13. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

The Kia to the Highway will turn over yer Blues

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In the glorious days of my youth during the 60s, I was very hesitant to spend money on records, as I had some really good sources for borrowing from. The bass player and I would go through an album and select tracks that interested us and were within our reach (sort of). Then to the drummer's house, where we gave each song a whirl. Sometimes one whirl was enough for the old thumbs down. Some songs would sit in our practice list for a bit, until we found we didn't like playing it as much as we thought we would.

In our part of the PNW, there weren't many bands that nowadays would be called cover bands, but to us they were copy bands. We did not aspire to copy band status. We played tracks that were well-known, medium known, little known, intriguing, and that I can solo over. Laugh if you like, but we made money hand over fist throughout most of high school and a few years later. We also played several originals of mine/ours, as well as acceding to requests during breaks that we played a few dancing songs, like CCR. We hated CCR, but we did a couple of songs.

I've never found an album that I listen to straight through in a state of ecstasy. The closest is the first side of the Kinks Greatest Hits. Perfection.

15. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

FYI, "Albums" started in the days of Edison cylinders, when you bought a whole huge box of cylinders (later, 78's) that contained a whole opera or symphony. See, the world existed before 1968.

stevemc and beach bob like this.
  16. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

I saw "8 track" as a joke....i hope so.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

The USB stick is it for me, building albums, genres and playlists i enjoy and then swapping them out.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

If your Hyundai can access music from a USB drive, you can organize your albums into folders and label the tracks 01, 02, 03 etc. The album will then play with the tracks in the same order as on the album. My BMW will do that and will also let me save a CD to memory in the music system. The album will then play in order when accessed from memory. Don't give up. If you are buying from a Hyundai dealer, there will be someone there who can explain to you how to operate the music system. The manual may also have instructions you can use. I carry a 4GB USB drive with me when I travel to use in rental cars. My gripe with rental cars unless I can snag a nice upgrade is the more the poor quality of the music system than the software.

19. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

make album playlists?

the last rakta lp was great. and the last syndrome 81 album.

20. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

I've had the same issue with some mp3s, it's just to do with the tags most likely. I won't listen to an album if it's out of order, it bothers me.

It's wrong to blame younger people, plenty of young people do still listen to albums and plenty of young bands still put out albums even if some of the bigger artists are moving towards singles on spotify.

Jim622 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.