So I Guess The Album is Dead

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

My Fusion was a kinda "meh" car, but it was convenient. All I had to do was say, "Play album Call the Comet" and it would play Johnny Marr's latest, with the tracks in the right order. Heck, I could even say, "Play album Anything But" and it would play my '80s band's 4-song demo cassette since I had it on my USB stick, properly ID'ed with track info. There are quite a few albums on my thumb drive that will never make it onto the streaming services.

Ford got it right. Toyota got it right. Kia didn't think about it very hard.

cyclopean likes this.
  2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

the album is dead long live the album

RyCo1983 likes this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would buy a decent cd player for the new car. I've got a premium 6 stacker cd system and don't know how to stream or Bluetooth records through my cars stereo. Why would I bother when the cd player works great. You can also shuffle the songs if you want to impress a millennial passenger but chances are they will be listening to their ipod or phone through tiny headphones anyway.:)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    2 Headed Goat and nojazzhere like this.
  4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I'm a couple years younger than you but I'd like to smack the livin' crap out of the younger generation with an awfully big brush.

And If I Had a Hammer...

scrapyardblue likes this.
  5. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

This summer I rented economy cars in both Ireland and in Costa Rica, and I had zero issues streaming dozens of albums off of Spotify into the stereo in both places. I'm gonna say that it's not the technology or those durn young people that's the problem here.,,

6. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I think it's a little misleading to blame Spotify. It's like blaming the Apple MacBook Pro for people who use it to check Facebook and nothing more.

Sure, I'm guessing most people use Spotify to stream singles, but you don't have to use it that way. In fact, I mostly listen to complete albums on Spotify. And if you do, it's a bonanza where you can often listen to the original mono mix, remastered version, and extended or "deluxe" versions with deep cuts and B-sides.

If you open Spotify in a browser, on the left hand side there's an "Albums" tab. If you fave the albums you like the most, they'll be saved there. If you use that feature a lot, it gets better and better with more albums to listen to.

ooglybong and Modman68 like this.
  7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

albums are like books

in the USA, the BLS conducted a survey in 2008 thereabouts of 18-24 year olds and found they read just 49 minutes a *week*

maybe albums represent a similar commitment of attention that people just don't want to make

this is a disturbing trend, if true

ooglybong likes this.
  8. xStonr

xStonr Friend of Leo's

My Jeep has bluetooth, sd card slot, and a usb port. No problem playing whatever I want.

omahaaudio likes this.
  9. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Yes this album is definitely Dead. album-cover-grateful-dead-album-by-the-grateful-dead-released-1971-brmm1n.jpg

Texicaster and PastorJay like this.
  10. 1955

1955 Poster Extraordinaire

Just watched “A Lawless Street.” I like albums, too.

11. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Every time I have one of these moments , there is a simple , usually free , solution to it.
    I usually ask someone aged 12 to 20 , works every time.
    That way , I can be a grumpy , miserable old man , AND solve the problem in minutes and move on.........

tvas22 likes this.
  12. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Seriously , I know some of the various solutions to this one.
    Generally , IF it's not possible to get something for free , I prefer to pay once. Monthly fee ? Nope , never.,.

duzie likes this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Albums are still alive and well.

As are tech companies who do lazy implementation of USB audio. This has been my experience of playing audio off thumb drives for many years. It’s likely most people run stuff off phones these days so companies are as lazy as they used to be with the USB software.

In the meantime, I think programs exist that will automatically rename your entire music collection. They certainly used to.

middy likes this.
  14. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Well this is a First World problem innit?

:)

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  15. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

The album has been dead for a long time but people insist on poking it with a stick.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Well... In my experience, we put in an album the song we have right now. The order is disscused in front of a beer in 10 minutes max and if it took years was because we recorded the songs 3 or 4 a year...

Too much misticysm

Nevertheless I listen to albums too. Have you tried not to use the random mode in your car player?

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Generations of older folks before us felt the same way about younger generations.

stevemc likes this.
  18. steadyriot

steadyriot Tele-Meister

It's just a slight payback to the Boomers and GenX-ers for destroying the economy, housing market and environment! We dweebs like to do that sometimes! ;);):D

ricardo1912 likes this.
  19. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

I don't use shuffle. An album will have to have a real clunker for me to not listen to the tracks in order.

20. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

I still buy CDs on a regular basis. Good deals to be had these days. Just picked these up for $25 a pop on Amazon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ooglybong, CodeBlue and RoyBGood like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.