So I Guess The Album is Dead

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Rich_S, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I started a new job this week. Overall it's a step up, but I had to give up my company car. So, this week, I'm driving a rental on a long business trip. It's a 2019 Kia Optima.

My "thing" to do on long drives is to listen to music, specifically, I listen to albums. You know, where musicians assemble a group of songs into a unified whole. I'm told they spent a lot of time and effort selecting the songs, and making sure they are in the right order. Some really good albums took years to make, and there are some good ones out there: Dark Side Of The Moon., Sgt. Pepper, several Led Zeppelin albums. There are a lot of albums out there that may or may not make other people's "classic" lists, but I think are pretty great. They tell a story. The songs have something in common. There's no jarring juxtaposition of unrelated songs by different artists, which just don't sound right when played one after the other.

Kia doesn't seem to think albums are important. As far as I can tell from playing around with its stereo, and then following up with an Internet search, the best Kia can do is allow me to choose the album, and then play the tracks in alphabetical order. Numbers, other characters, and capitalization can screw that up even worst.

The best the web can come up with is to edit the songs titles (or maybe it was the file names) to start with numbers, including leading zeros. There's NO WAY I'm doing that. My thumb drive has 3,700 songs on it, over 300 albums.

I suspect the problem stems from the clueless, self-absorbed, Spotify-streaming, millennial dweebs that make up the bulk of our tech work force these days. They don't even know what an album is, and so can't imagine why anybody would want to listen to one. Or 300.

Most alarming: I just yesterday put down a deposit on a used-but-nice Hyundai Santa Fe to replace my departed company Fusion. I suspect the Santa Fe's stereo system was written by the same dweebs who wrote the Kia's. I'm not scheduled to pick up my "new" car for another two weeks, but I already want to douse its dashboard with gasoline and set is ablaze.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  2. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Maybe get a little more redneck and put a boombox in your car?

3. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Does it have a CD player?

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Or a tape-deck? (either cassette or eight-track?)

5. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Not intentionally contradicting you, but Spotify premium allows you to stream full albums. I listen to full albums on iTunes. Bummer the car radio is too dumb to easily play an album in order.

DougF, noquarter1983 and steadyriot like this.
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Hi prefer CDs. I know...dinosaur

7. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

You’re lamenting the death of the album by complaining that your MP3 player car stereo can’t figure out the tags on your thumb drive. Hmm.

8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I like CD's also....but don't 'ya miss the "cha-clunk" of an 8 track changing tracks?....especially in the middle of a song? ;)

9. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

Insert: "Old man yells at cloud" graphic here...

10. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

11. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I jam a USB stick loaded with albums into the Toyota’s radio and it will play them in order.

Boubou and Geo like this.
  12. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

Load stuff on your phone. Bluetooth is your friend. ;)

13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Streaming can be tricky while on a road trip. You hit a "dead zone" and everything stops. Then it has to be synced up again. So, if you don't have a travel companion, you have to risk life and limb, and perhaps break the law too, to get it going again.

I wrote a program a while back to load up USB sticks that would allow it to order and play them in correct order. It needs a rewrite since it was written with old technology so I may do that sometime and put it out on GitHub.

jvin248 likes this.
  14. Rich_S

Too bad it's a company phone. I try to keep personal stuff off it as much as possible, and USB-ing it to my personal laptop is against company policy. I suppose I could transfer all my albums by OneDrive, but it would take forever.

I'm not paying Spotify or iTunes to stream albums that I've bought and paid for over the last 35 years. Besides, I doubt a lot of them are even available on the streaming services. From a technological standpoint, using expensive, increasingly-in-demand cellular bandwidth to stream music that I already have on a chip in the car is just stupid. Lastly, consider where I live: there are large swaths of the North Country where I can drive for an hour with no cell service. It's good enough for the Amish, so why not me?

Sure there are alternate solutions, but that doesn't change the fact that the dweebs ****ed up those dozen or so line of code, and Kia and Hyundai put them in millions of cars that now can't play an album. Makes the POS company Ford Fusion look good.

beach bob and ndcaster like this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

You seem to be painting younger generations with an awfully big brush. Maybe they’re not “dweebs” but have different listening preferences. I am almost 70 and rarely, if ever listen to “albums”. I recall when I would put an album on the turntable and immerse myself in an album but not any longer. I don’t even own a stereo. I listen to artists on my playlist. I have Apple Car Play and can access the complete albums from my iTunes library but never do. I am thankful some “dweeb” had the smarts to build iPods, iPhones and the software to give me multiple options of how to enjoy music.
    To each their own.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  16. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

If what you mean is that almost nobody makes "albums" anymore you're probably right.

But I don't think that's what you mean.

So I'm confused now. I also like albums. Listen to them all the time, at home and in my car.

I have lots of vinyl in my living room.

And I can listen to albums on ITunes. I'm told that makes me a Dinosaur.

I can also listen to them on Apple Music. People tell me that's not cool because there are better streaming technologies.

But my 28 year old daughter pays for it and I use her account. Since I still pay for her phone, despite the fact that she makes plus or minus 3 X what I make, I figure that's okay. I think Apple Music is $5 a month. And I could pay for it if she didn't. If I could figure out how to sign up????

But not just albums. I spend a lot of time with my phone on "shuffle." Sort of like listening to a radio station with all songs that I picked. Pretty cool, even if my tastes are really eclectic and I couldn't imagine a radio station that actually played all this stuff.

There are lots of alternatives out there. Maybe you need to buy a car or a phone or some other technology that allows you to play what you like? Given the cost of phones these days, linking up your phone to your car's stereo seems like a relatively inexpensive option.

17. Rich_S

Yeah, my phone is out because it's a company phone, but I'm thinking maybe I should replace the plain USB stick with an iPod, and let it do the work rather than the car's stereo.

My first thought was to replace the stereo, but they are so tied in with the rest of the car these days, they're more "Command Center" than simply "sound system". By the time I "option up" an aftermarket stereo to repair all the connections I broke removing the factory unit, a $200 iPod is a way cheaper alternative.

18. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My suggestion...the Sante Fe likely has the same stereo software as my Hyundai...same corporate ownership, factory, shared parts, etc.

Get a used android based smart phone, dont have to ever actually use it as a phone...or even activate it as one.
    ...get an expansion card for it and file music there....my car let's me use the google play app and it recognizes track numbers and such.

This is with bluetooth I must add.

jimash, Teleterr and stratoman1 like this.
  19. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I would avoid an iPod since the rumor is Apple is considering killing it off - not as profitable as the accountants think it should be.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. duzie

duzie Tele-Meister

Ah the convenience for only a small monthly charge :lol:

Chicago Matt and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.