So I got thrown out of a guitar shop today....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by loopfinding, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have been in too many music stores with condescending staff. "Oh look at me. I work in a music store and you don't, so you are therefore inferior" kind of attitude coupled with being a bad liar.
    There are plenty of good music stores, but good staff to go along with that is becoming a rarity, IMO. I have never got attitude from websites, the same websites that will eventually take their jobs.

McGlamRock likes this.
  2. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

And why are they even in business?

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

No argument there.

Bad employees almost always relate back to bad management and bad training.

northernguitar, 1955 and wblynch like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

? That’s a strange generalization. And false, IME.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Weird. I’ve been in Cream City a bunch. Way too much. Nicest crew you can imagine. 3 youngish owners who worked there for years and took over maybe 5-6 years ago. Mostly long-term employees. Not easily-accomplished and speaks a lot to the culture and approach.

Friendly, helpful and low key. I’ve never seen them be anything but patient no matter how weird or rude or clueless the customer. And people are in there constantly, pulling stuff off the wall to play. I’m surprised to see them listed in your post, to say the least.

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Unless there's a big sign telling me not to, I pull guitars off the wall myself.
    It wouldn't take even a green sales person long to tell I know what I'm doing.
    But I ALWAYS let a sales person hang the guitar back up. I don't want to risk blame if it drops.
    I did live near a guitar shop in Kingston, NY that won't let you use a pick when trying out a guitar.
    I can't deal with that.

northernguitar likes this.
  7. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

There's always shops with some certain higher end/vintage guitars placed up out of reach or with a "Please Ask" sign, but otherwise I've never seen ridiculous crap behavior like that for trying a guitar, I would never go back there, and let them know that I'll never go back there due to that. And my friends and my parents and my dog! So there! :mad:

8. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

How dare you try to play a guitar in a guitar shop!

9. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Internet retailers are killing these stores........cant beat the service......free shipping to the doorstep. They should be bending over backwards to get you to purchase there.

northernguitar and thunderbyrd like this.
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

OMG! What kind of a shop is it? If I went into a store and somebody treated me like that, I would have kicked his ass then left. Totally unacceptable. I hate music stores anyway, they are just noisy insane asylums run by wannabe idiots.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  11. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yeah, that's what I hear too. I'd say it was about 6 or so years back.

Yet, some guy flipped out on me. I went out there specifically to try out a Vibro King w/$1500 in my pocket. Brought a friend, we got there and asked to plug in. The guys at the counter were nice and there were 2 or 3 other folks in there plugged in. So, when they were done I just put the amp on 1 or 2, real quiet and played some country licks for a minute.

All of the sudden, from the back of the store, some guy in his 40s or so with a shaved head came out and raised his voice "Excuse me, are you demoing this amp for others?"

I said "I'm demoing it for myself."

"Unless you are demoing this amp you have to turn it down, this isn't allowed."

I said, "Can you turn it down for me?"

Quickly he realized he couldn't, lol, nor was it loud by any definition. It was odd because I was nowhere near the volume the guys before me were at either. He got red in the face angry and stomped off saying something threatening which I can't recall the exact words, but it was totally unacceptable. The guys at the counter were wide eyed. I thought for a second about following him and starting something but cooled myself down.

Really ****ed up experience with a total Napoleon complex jerk. And, I definitely didn't buy anything after that, lol.

12. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Sorry the music stores around you are like that. I haven’t had similar experiences. Even the Canadian major retailers (L&M, Cosmo and Steve’s) let you sit with their mid to lower priced guitars.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have. Several times even.

Mostly from Holland, Denmark and Germany, but not as often from Germany.

Also from the UK, US and Canada in regards to the shipping costs.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.