So, I got a couple of new tools/toys

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by getbent, Jun 29, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been setting aside some money that I get on the side (not a gigolo, I promise) anyway, I'm saving for the righteous welder that I want, but, stuff keeps coming up to delay that... I've got a ton of rounds at our cabin that I need to split and to do it by hand will take too long, so I don't start..... SOOOO I bought a little 6 ton ELECTRIC log splitter! Like my 13" planer, it is a WEN... the planer has been so awesome that I couldn't see not getting their log splitter.. it is a two hander, so I could actually teach my 9 year old nephew how to use it...

well, while I was shopping, I found a really great kindling cracker, again, my little nephew is JUST old enough and strong enough to swing a little half sledge... HE LOVES IT... and it makes good kindling.

and last... I got a little hitachi chainsaw (14") off craigslist a few years ago for 20.00 (wasn't running) well, I've been using it as a limbing saw and for little stuff and my kids like it because it isn't as big as the 395xp or the 460 huskies and not as scary... well, it has become unreliable... I have 30.00 into it... this morning I needed to cut some wood for a party at a cousins house tonight, my saws are all at the cabin... ugh..

I saw that an ELECTRIC Ryobi 40volt was on sale at Home Depot... I coulda bought 2 boxes of firewood for 20.00... so I spent 160.00 instead... however, once I fired that thing up, oh wait, I mean once I put the battery in.. it was wood destruction instantly.... quiet (I could hear the stereo playing in the garage) and sharp as that dude on Jeopardy.

We are going to our cabin for 10 days and I think the kids and girls are gonna love that little ryobi!

In other news, my neighbor is trying to do carpentry (I was busy putting in a drip system for the garden... which is just fantastic tech! I just love how simple it all is and how well it all works) and he came over and said, "what do you think of my plan? (it is a patio cover)... It is the moment of truth, honesty which could bring discord, and maybe even work for me or just 'you da man!'

Long pause. He says, "hey man be honest" and I say, "you are gonna need better tools. I have been listening to you drive nails and as an old framer... you need a nail gun or you need to go to screws." then I offer my stuff to him and a quick lesson (btw, this dude works in industrial construction management)

I am a firm believer in if you really want to do something, you can, no matter what.. but, it is like he doesn't want to think it through first.... he wants progress... when we all know, you prep and prep and prep, THEN you get after it... and blow it out and it is right... on my sprinklers, I had to kind of figure it out as I learned BUT, I had a complete parts list and the right tools so, the job was kind of fun. Today, I tweaked a couple of little things and now I want to make a couple of things even better, but they are small now... I've been over to my neighbors 4 times when he mismeasured... each time I told him, 'don't sweat that' move to a new piece and make each piece right as you go... if you let a screw up in the middle, the rest will all be wrong...

He looked at me as if he'd never heard that... stop. make it right.THEN move on. I told him I could give him half a day tomorrow... I'm gonna smoke some meat, might as well butcher wood while I smell the smoke!

Next week, we are gonna mill some boards, make some adirondack chairs, split some wood, do some kayaking, pick some guitar and get going on a couple of big projects at the cabin... and drink a beer and a martini or three... I've got a yard full of people coming! the griddle will be hot for breakfast!

and... I've got the right tools for people to put their shoulder to the wheel and feel the satisfaction of getting things done....

2. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's

Good tools are seriously complemented by the knowledge of how to use them properly. It's truly a thing of beauty to watch a skilled professional work his or her magic in just about any field.

String Tree and MickM like this.
  3. getbent

agree! I remember when I first was learning carpentry, it was awesome when I got a handle on things and knew by sound what was going on and by cadence... today, I was describing it to my wife (as we listened) and she thought it was interesting... she said once I pointed it out, she could hear it... we are going to a dinner party in a bit, but I'm gonna get out and help more tomorrow... it will go fast... but, I ain't painting... I will lend him my sprayer though because I can just imagine how he'll do it otherwise.

P-Nutz likes this.
  4. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I built only one house, a 24’X34’ stick frame on our trout stream property in 1988-1989. I did everything from the block foundation up including all electric and plumbing except the drywall. Closest I’d come to building anything before that was an outhouse and while I planned that sucker well (including drain pipe stack ventilation!) the little house was quite a step up. Did it all with my hammer, old circular saw, scroll saw, carpenters helper, wrecking bar, sledges, a contractor generator and multiple levels, squares etc. I read a book “Building Your Own House” IIRC that was excellent, then used graph paper to copy down each and every step to “imprint” it in my brain. I’d drive to the property Thursday night and work til dark, meet the lumber truck early Friday AM and work all day, then had 2-3 friends come up to help for the first four weekends. Some had never swung a hammer. I went through the steps we were gonna follow each day after breakfast. I was a kind but stern taskmaster and we had that sucker enclosed and square in those four trips. It took me another year solo to plumb, wire, trim etc but we were able to use it later that first summer.

Thirty years later I have far more and better tools but I know I couldn’t build a place any better than that cabin. A good tool is a tremendous asset, but I saved myself a mountain of aggravation by the planning and the measure twice (thrice in my work) and cut once motto. I did go around and check plumb and square every morning and night to make sure I was good beyond the constant checking, but the one thirty second bad measure we made trimming truss ends took me three hours to correct.

It was a great time.

DonM, getbent, Chunkocaster and 3 others like this.
  5. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a decent amateur carpenter, but absolutely not pro-level.

I was doing my second deck, laying out the footers for the posts, when my next door neighbor wandered over. "Why are you doing it that way?" Long story short, he spent a few hours with me. What I learned from him saved me a lot of time and made the results a lot better. Knowing how really made a huge difference.

6. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ahh....cool tools is cool stuff.

Firewood!....I can relate and couldn't resist responding.
    If I had a nickel for every round I've bucked up and every round I've split/stacked over the decades I could have retired at 50.
    When I was a carpenter in Groveland (from 1990-95) I had to do many things to pay the bills
    So...I had a splitter too....loved it....loved the mountain life.....I think it was a 20 ton.
    Had two chain saws....a 16" and a 36".
    Yes....that's my wife pretending she actually did something in this context. :)

Just so you know I'm no poser: no hijack intended
    The last image....I'm on the left.

132a_Groveland_wood pile_on site Supervisor.jpg 132b_Groveland_wood pile 1.jpg 132e_Groveland_wood pile 3.jpg 132f_Groveland_wood pile 4.jpg Groveland_wood pile 1b.jpg

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    DonM, getbent, Stubee and 1 other person like this.
  7. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I spent a month of weekends milling and staining the board and batten siding for my house. If I never use my planer again, it will be too soon. :eek: If I need a tool, I buy it.

getbent and Stubee like this.
  8. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I'm really happy for you and the tools! After realizing that my health wouldn't permit me to do any more work like that I gave all my tools away, some to friends and some to Habitat for Humanity. I couldn't see myself trying to sell used tools to anyone. I'm going to miss using them but I'm glad they found good homes. All the years of burning firewood at the cabin are over, sadly. But I hope you enjoy your tools and new tools!

9. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

That day is coming for me and i dread it. Since the age of 23, i've been buying tools and have almost everything i need, i love tools. Walking into the shop and going to a particular shelf, cabinet or tool box and getting exactly what i need is so satisfying. I know the day will come that it's time to divest myself of it all and it's very sad. I stopped going to estate sales and auctions when i thought of the years someone put in to accumulate all those tools and someone is throwing it into a box and start the bidding at 3 bucks.
    Sorry i'm a bummer on this, the cycle of life is extremely sad sometimes.

getbent, idjster and Stubee like this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

They day I realized I was walking around the hardware store the way I used to walk around Toys R Us was the day I realized I am a MAN...

11. Mechanic

Mechanic Friend of Leo's

Tools. A subject near and dear to my heart. I’ve retired wrenching on diesels and trains, doing machine work, welding and paint and body.
    I’ve 4 Roll away top and bottom boxes filled with hand and air tools, electrical test gear, crimpers, test leads break out boxes, machinist micrometers from 0-6”, tool steel, drill sets, all either US and Metric.
    I’ve divied up sets to each son and grand sons. Son has all ready swiped the gas axe and 220v wire feed for work he’s doing. I’ve need to swipe them back as I’m not ready yet. Still a few things to do.
    My new liver hasn’t slowed me down that much.

getbent, Stubee and birddog01 like this.
  12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Ehh, all you need is an old chisel, mallet and drawknife. IMG_4005.JPG

DonM, Flaneur, getbent and 3 others like this.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Man, you been up there a long time...

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In regards to estate sales : yeah.

getbent likes this.
  15. 1293

I put new metal roofs on my barn and an outbuilding when we first bought our house. I had my climbing harness and rope for the job. My neighbor came over and was laughing at me. He said "you just need to keep your weight above your feet". He climbed up on the roof to demonstrate (he was in his 70s and wearing moccasins). He slid and almost fell. He admitted "This is a steep roof, the rope is probably a good idea". I did a lot of rock and ice climbing, but I never had a death wish.

Obsessed and getbent like this.
  16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

20190630_095950.jpg
    I was just given this by a friend who is cleaning out her father's shop. I was appreciative, but I certainly don't neeeed any more tools.

getbent likes this.
  17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I love my Ryobi chainsaw, you can cut up a dead body in your basement in about 10 minutes, no CO to worry about and no noise to alert the neighbors.

Oh , it does a great job on trees as well.
    1117181215_HDR_resized.jpg 1117181222_resized.jpg

Stubee and getbent like this.
  18. getbent

You guys are AWESOME. I LOVE the pics and stories! Thank you so much, I am grateful for you sharing...

I have a friend with a cabin near Groveland! how fun! again, thanks!

19. 1293

It looks like it cleans up real well, too. No dead hooker residue.

Bones likes this.
  20. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Top of the mornin'....

"Near Groveland"?.....trying to recall some of the towns near Groveland at the top of Old Priest Grade.
    Big Oak Flat, Greeley Hill, Coulterville, then down the hill to Don Pedro, Jamestown and Sonora.
    The pics are of our pad in Pine Mtn. Lake.

I had a cool studio setup then and did a lot of recording of originals.
    I have studio pics but don't want to derail 'tool time'. :)

Back to it....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.