1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So I found out to my astonishment that local toy stores are selling First act guitars

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I admit it, I enjoy walking into Toy stores and basically being ..a big kid in a toy store.

In my Native country of the Netherlands we have this chain of toy stores called "Toy champ"
    [​IMG]
    Which is basically what "Toys R Us" is in the USA.

They have musical instruments... but not exactly from the kind of quality a true musician would go for.

Imagine my surprise when I saw that they had First Act acoustic guitars in a blow out sale, they're practically giving them away at 40 Euros. I was tempted to buy one and use it as my couch guitar.

But in the end decided not to do so because I wanted to find out more about such an instrument before I actually do something I might regret later.

But when I searched the net about First act guitars, I found that their site leads directly to Jazwares.

https://www.jazwares.com/brands/first-act
    So I wonder is First act going out of business, is that why those guitars of theirs are so cheap?

P-Nutz likes this.
  2. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Tele-Meister

I sure would love to have the First Act VW Garage Master geetar but I guess they don't sell VW cars at toy stores any more.:(

3. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

c'mon . . .
    F.A.R.G.

:eek:

4. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

I mean, that's where I thought they sold them.

Bella likes this.
  5. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

The best First Acts were all made 10-15 years ago now. A lot were sold at toy stores and Walmart/Target, but others (the SFA Lolas, Sheens, Delias, and others) were available though more conventional channels. And that's not even getting into the Custom Shop guitars made in Boston. It's a long, convoluted story that wasn't really documented all that well. Quality can vary, but thanks to modern manufacturing methods, most of them are eminently playable... if they have been too badly abused or neglected.

6. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I have one and it's a pretty decent guitar. Great neck and frets. Onboard EQ with gain and treble boost. Solid body with a nice finish. I don't know what the pickups are but they sound great.

001.JPG 004.JPG 002.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  7. Fearnot

The pickups are low-gain alnico 5 HBs. And that bridge is installed backwards... the divots in the design are supposed to allow for a sharp angle behind the bridge with no buzzing (though it doesn't look like it's a problem here).

8. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

Interesting. I see exactly what you're saying about the divots and the string break angle. And it's a ***** deal with the saddle screws as it's set up now.

Funny thing is that I got it from someone who bought the Volkswagen but had no interest in the guitar and never used it. Factory mistake?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Fearnot and Jakedog like this.
  9. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

I actually like that shape. Overall it had a bit of a 60s Valco/Supro/Airline kinda vibe to it.

10. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I disagree. Not on not liking the looks but on where they got that shape from.
    [​IMG]
    It resembles the Brian May model very closely.

carpenter, Jakedog and Doctorx33 like this.
  11. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

There was a Paul Westerberg signature model at one time. I'd like to have one of them, just because.

12. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Afflicted

Does anyone remember when you had to go to Toys R Us to buy a home computer?

Bob

13. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

You know what, now you put it in front of me I totally see it.

14. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

It’s where pawn shop guitars are first sold retail.

15. bondoman

bondoman Tele-Holic

Jazwares bought them out a few years back and now only sell kids toy instruments so what you were looking at is most likely NOS they're getting rid of. Face Book has a couple of First Act forums as well as TDPRI being FARG but its pretty dead. The FB forums are pretty active though. Seems they're getting more popular lately. The new Teisco's some say. I have about 20 of them although no acoustics and ranging from the US custom shop models. SFA's and Toys R Us specials. Fearnot is correct in that all the best ones are from about 2012 back and some of them will sell for 3x more than they sold for new. Hence the new Teisco tag. No one would have guessed it 10 years ago when we were buying them up for $10 bucks a piece though. And yes the story of First Act is a long strange one indeed.

20190615_093001 (1).jpg

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  16. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

17. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Tele-Holic

$80 at WalMart in 2009. That's nuts.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  18. Fearnot

Yeah, I had one in my sights a few years back for $65, but it got away. Now they're routinely going for $200-$300. (The plaid pickup doesn't age well, btw.)

It's worth repeating how the Westerberg model came to be... he was on tour, and broke his 'real' guitar. So he pulled into a Target/WM and came out with a First Act, and played the rest of the tour with it. That's punk rock.

When FA found out, they worked a deal to build him a signature model.

Wallo Tweed likes this.
  19. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a first act kids drum kit and a CB kids mini kit it would be great for some kid who was serious about playing drums.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.