1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So I finally bought a Fender '57 Custom Champ...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by terekyasuta, Mar 3, 2021.

1. terekyasuta

terekyasuta TDPRI Member

And I swapped it to a 220v transformer also since the country I live in uses a 220v.

And the humming... OMFG!!!!! I can't stand the hum!!! :(

I put it in 3~4 and played it and I can hear the hum while I'm playing!!!

Like, I don't know much about the amp but is this humming normal? The dude from the repair shop(the guy who swapped the transformer) muttered something about the hum but I couldn't quite catch what he was saying.

I live in a quiet neighbourhood and yeah when I turn on the amp it gives this hummmmmmmmmmmm sound, and when I play something like fingerstyle I can hear the hum through it.

Of course, with the amp cranked up, I cant' hear the hum. But I'm pretty much at that point, humming won't be a huge issue.

Is this normal for a RI Champ? I'm just curious.

2. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know, it could be the grounding, or plugging it in multiple sockets device. I have noticed that with my amp too when i was playing live, using a peavey amp.
    In some bars i had a lot of hum, and in others, nothing.

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Not normal. Hum can have many external/RF causes, but I assume your home, that room, that outlet, that guitar and cable are quiet with other amps? If so, it almost has to be the PT replacement was done wrong. Adding an artificial CT if it didn't exist, removing it if it did, grounding, something.

Cali Dude likes this.
  4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i don't know how bad it is, so maybe your tech did a poor job...

but in general, single ended amps are always hummier than push pull, which inherently have some hum cancellation going on. a lot of people go overkill on the filter caps with champs to compensate with good results. none of the tweed designs have enough filtering for my liking, tbh.

5. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Class A single ended amps do hum. And it's not THAT subtle of a hum. But it shouldn't be too loud neither.

6. Linkjr

Linkjr Tele-Meister

Built a champ and have never heard it hum unless “dimed” even then to my ears its barely there would not expect a professionally made 57 reissue to hum theres something wrong make sure you not got any interference causing machinery ,fluorescent lights etc around it.

jman72 likes this.
  7. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Champ clone that I built, and it is dead quiet- no hum whatsoever. So, I'd also vote for the PT change as the most likely culprit.

8. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I think your "tech" effed up

985plowboy likes this.
  9. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

As already noted, there is typically some slight hum in Class A amps like the 5F1 Champ. My SFVC, my 5F1 Champ clone, and my Fender 57 Custom Champ all have it but it is not audible when playing - even at low volumes.

I agree with others that the transformer swap (and/or house wiring/grounding) is likely at fault. Hope you get it sorted out - absolutely love my 57 Custom Champ!

10. terekyasuta

terekyasuta TDPRI Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  11. SapoAmpRepair

SapoAmpRepair TDPRI Member

It's hard to tell from the video ... but does the hum go away if you turn your guitar volume all the way down? If it does, how close are you standing to the amp and does your distance or orientation change the hum in any way? How about if you don't have anything (guitar or cable) plugged into the amp?

The level of hum in the video is not normal for just an idling amp. But it almost sounds like your pickups are too close to the amp/transformers (or some other strong EM source).

terekyasuta likes this.
  12. terekyasuta

terekyasuta TDPRI Member

Okay so... I deleted my previous post, but somehow you went in the nick of the time to watch it. Allow me to reply to my dumbassness.

So I took the amp home... and in my surprise, the amp sounded TOTALLY NORMAL for some reason. It was insane. Last minute it was dying from howling, and now it's quiet with a subtle hum.

And while I was taking a video again just to make sure, I moved the amp towards the outlet. Again, I noticed a huge hum, not as loud as the one I had on the video, but the hum was louder than just ago.

So I thought... no way... what if... and took my amp and moved it further away from the power outlet, and the humming dropped like magic!!!

I have NEVER owned an amp that has such characteristics, all of my other amps work fine wherever I place it in, but not this I guess?

I still don't know the reason behind this, I'm guessing the amp's circuit is too old fashioned and it eventually picks up electric signals from the power outlet itself?

Come to think of it, the repair guy did tell me his 5F1 clone had a huge hum but the hum decreased overtime. I thought that was weird since he used to talk me in engineering linguo and all of a sudden he did not give me a concrete reason of a phenomenon, but gave me an advice of "just let it happen and the hum might subside".

Overall I'm happy with my amp now, I just put the amp far away from the power outlet and I'm good, I don't mind the small hum.

In short, rookie mistake, I feel awful of making skeptic thoughts about my repair guy, wrote a fantastic review about him, and now I am enjoying the amp so much!

13. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

Great you settled that. PSA. Anyone who owns a 57 champ and volume is an issue at times ,here is the remedy. Swart night light JR. An incredible tool to have to give more versatility.

terekyasuta likes this.
  14. terekyasuta

terekyasuta TDPRI Member

Thanks, I realized I needed a bit more crunch, the attenuator might be just the right tool for me.

15. David Meiland

David Meiland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Came here to say my 57 Champ makes a very quiet hum when it's sitting there "on", but it's inaudible when played at any volume. I've used it in a few different rooms, at different distances from the outlet it's plugged into, and it always does it.

16. David Meiland

David Meiland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You mentioned this to me. I was wondering, why not the Night Light, which could handle my 22-watt amps as well?

17. teleman1

teleman1 Friend of Leo's

I had a Silvertone 1x12 combo, the ones with the knobs on the front. I put it through a Marshal 4x12 cabinet. It was loud & the Night light did wonders. That amp screams joy all the way up. And you could get that joy at lower volumes. But I hear what you are saying, why not the JR. I am reticent about it cause the JR gets hot after playing the 57, or any other low watt function. So, I never think t use the JR with my PRRI with it getting hot for 5 watts. THe night light handled it. I have never tried the JR with anything but the 5 watt arena.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.