So...I feed birds

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Jul 14, 2020.

1. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

"Squirrels do not like Mr Slinky". And I thought they would just use it as a ladder:oops:

rangercaster likes this.
  2. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

You're a madman.

[​IMG]

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Was there a coyote stalking the roadrunner ???

4. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Birds get cold flying at altitude...

They like to take a dip in the hot tub ...

To warm their tail feathers...

5. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

No, but I did see a bobcat prowling near some pricey real estate! The coyotes seem more interested in raiding peoples' yards looking for pet food (or sometimes just pets).

rangercaster likes this.
  6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m with you Buck.

For 3 years we fed every stray bird that was Dumb enough to stay in Michigan in the winter and live in our arbor vitae.

Hundreds of pounds.

Then we met One Eye the squirrel and now we concentrate on him and his local lesser squirrels And a handful of chipmunks .

it’s funny how they all hate each other !

no herds or flocks in the rodent world. It’s every rat-like beast for himself .

we get huge boxes of unsalted peanuts in the shell for $26 and they last us a week and a half.

Buckocaster51 likes this.
  7. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

We feed them too, and we have a small colony of swallows in our barn.

The other morning this strange bird was at the feeder outside our kitchen.

20200711_100758.jpg

It's a pine marten.

catdaddy and hemingway like this.
  8. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I watch birds and observe their behaviour. What a gift they have- the natural ability to fly. That's freedom!

Rustbucket, Jlwctn and Mike Eskimo like this.
  9. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Afflicted

My mom is officially a crazy bird lady. Particularly bluebirds. When she travels (pretty often), I’m expected to keep up the daily feedings and birdbath refilling. We use dried seasoned mealworms, which kinda smell like chips. When the bluebirds have babies, my mom farms live mealworms for them.

Buckocaster51 and Tonetele like this.
  10. chinacathb

chinacathb TDPRI Member

DSC_0056.JPG

This is 'Audrey' named after the voracious plant in Little Shop Of Horrors. I imagine it's a he so the name is inappropriate . . . but accurate. Absolutely tame and demanding!! Turns up at the first sign of movement in the mornings and again at teatime. Gets fed a small amount of mince. Despite the wicked looking hook on the beak he's very careful to hit the mince rather than my finger. He has a more timid companion who peeps at me from a nearby tree until I lay out a trail of mince bits along the handrail and then step back. They're butcher birds. They have a beautiful musical call.

Skub, Mike Eskimo, hemingway and 3 others like this.
  11. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a family of BB's 3 or 4 generations old.... they get some mince along with the Kookaburras and magpies of an afternoon... who have been here for years as well...

they even eat cheese for a snack......;)

bbird1 small.jpg

Mike Eskimo, hemingway and chinacathb like this.
  12. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I mean seriously, you don’t offer a concierge? Hell in a hand basket I tell ya....

13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

We feed the hummingbirds and sugarbirds. They are a joy to watch

Great bird feeder with the slinky. What a fabulous idea

14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Bird songs are #1. There ought to be a Radio Station that is just Bird Songs. Non-human.

hemingway likes this.
  15. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

As long time bird lovers, my wife and I are volunteers with our local Audubon Society project to protect and encourage breeding of Eastern Bluebirds. We monitor 17 nest boxes along a 15 mile stretch of state forest trail every 2 weeks. We take species specific nest, egg and chick counts, clear out old nesting material and nest invaders such as wasps and spiders, do repairs and send our data to the project coordinator. The bluebirds have been nesting since mid-March and are continuing to have broods of chicks as recently as our last monitoring 2 days ago. The results of the nest box project have been impressively obvious with bluebirds now being one of the most commonly sighted species in our area. Below is a stock photo of a bluebird nest box, and below that is a photo I took of an Eastern Bluebird sitting in the loquat tree in our yard.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Nick-O

Nick-O TDPRI Member

This my squirrel proof feeder. Never had one single squig get past in over 4 years now, just a roadside garbage can with a hole in it to fit over the pole. Works the berries...:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chinacathb, catdaddy and haggardfan1 like this.
  17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

We feed them too, sunflower seeds and hummingbird nectar. I love to hear them sing.

18. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That's just wonderful.

We're screwing up the world. Least we can do is feed a few critters and varmints.

It's skylark season in my park. I love to hear them.

chinacathb likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Warning :

Grey squirrels will steal your rocks !

I noticed the pile of cool beach rocks we keep on a corner of our deck has been shrinking. Collected over 25 years of everywhere we’ve gone.

Last night I noticed one of the true grey squirrels (white chest) stuffing one in its mouth. I ran outside and chased him and he made it up the tree - without dropping it .

Turns out they use rocks to make their dreys (nests) heavier so they don’t blow out of trees in high winds.

I took the remaining pile into the garage . Stupid/smart rodents ! :mad:

My wife is feeding them as I write this...

20. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

We've been feeding the birds most of the three years we've been in our rented house. Two feeders now, and I refill them every second or third day to the tune of about forty pounds of birdseed a month. No shortage of squirrels either--I put up a picnic table for those guys that holds an ear of dried corn, or whatever, but they still raid the bird feeders.

69074.jpeg

If it doesn't bother the birds, it doesn't bother me.

One afternoon, under our larger feeder, we saw two doves, three squirrels, two robins, several other miscellaneous birds, and a rabbit. I need to put out food for them too. We don't have any landscaping that they can damage, and I like having rabbits around.

Last year we had a pair of bluebirds, but I didn't get a house put up soon enough and they left. Now I have a bluebird house so if they come back, hopefully they'll check it out. I think any smaller bird can use it; but the Carolina wrens like to nest in empty flower pots and things like that under the carport.

If you think you've purchased or built a squirrel-proof bird feeder, check out the "squirrel obstacle course" video on YouTube :D. It was built by an engineer and his squirrels defeated it in almost no time. They're pretty amazing creatures!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.