So I bought a Power Supply and got a spare Cpap Machine

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Well not exactly like that. My Cpap machine has been taking a while to kick on at night, but once it does it works fine all night. My worry was it would fail so I looked online and found a really good duplicate for $200.00. I've had the one I use for 10 years so I thought it was best to get another. I could have got another through Medicare but would have to do another sleep study. Decided nope, I'd see what I could pickup and I had already figured out how to hack/change the settings on the model I have.

So it shows up and it was immaculate and I set it up checked that it worked and then took it upstairs. Figuring I would save time I didn't replace the P/S and it acted exactly the same way the other one did. Swapped in the new P/S and both machines worked perfectly. Went up on Amazon and bought a spare P/S for $25.00.

Deep inside I feel stupid for not figuring that out, testing the P/S or maybe even posting here before I bought the whole thing. I own multiple Tele's and Strat's, now I own multiple CPAP machines and one partially bad P/S. I'll survive.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well not exactly like that. My Cpap machine has been taking a while to kick on at night, but once it does it works fine all night. My worry was it would fail so I looked online and found a really good duplicate for $200.00. I've had the one I use for 10 years so I thought it was best to get another. I could have got another through Medicare but would have to do another sleep study. Decided nope, I'd see what I could pickup and I had already figured out how to hack/change the settings on the model I have.

So it shows up and it was immaculate and I set it up checked that it worked and then took it upstairs. Figuring I would save time I didn't replace the P/S and it acted exactly the same way the other one did. Swapped in the new P/S and both machines worked perfectly. Went up on Amazon and bought a spare P/S for $25.00.

Deep inside I feel stupid for not figuring that out, testing the P/S or maybe even posting here before I bought the whole thing. I own multiple Tele's and Strat's, now I own multiple CPAP machines and one partially bad P/S. I'll survive.
Compulsion to buy is a disease not a symptom. One can become enamored of any sort of object and have to have two, or more of them. You should see the toolboxes of mechanics working on a line. No one just has one, fishing pole, guitar, amp, golf club, putter, car, trailer, you name it, one almost always has to have a backup, you know, just in case.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
It is always handy to have a spare - especially if you travel. I can't sleep without mine.

Before I got my "whole house automatic generator", I kept a $300 12 volt deep-cycle battery in my nightstand for when we would lose power. It would get me through the night, but not much more. It is now starting my truck.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Compulsion to buy is a disease not a symptom. One can become enamored of any sort of object and have to have two, or more of them. You should see the toolboxes of mechanics working on a line. No one just has one, fishing pole, guitar, amp, golf club, putter, car, trailer, you name it, one almost always has to have a backup, you know, just in case.
These days I am inclined to buy duplicates of anything I like. If I don't, the company either stops making them or "improves" them, typically making them worse.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
These days I am inclined to buy duplicates of anything I like. If I don't, the company either stops making them or "improves" them, typically making them worse.
My wife is an inveterate shopper! She came from a family with a total of nine siblings. There was NEVER enough of ANYTHING. Now, she loves to shop. It's even starting to rub off on me. She wanted me to take her to the Skechers shoe store the other day, so that she could get some sandals, and a new pair of walking shoes. I was just meandering around and spotted some really nice golf shoes on sale for about a third of the normal price. I bought them even though I already had three pair of golf shoes at home.

cometazzi

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter

This has been my experience for the most part. To TD's point, the last time I tried on shoes and found a pair that I liked, I bought two pairs. I've rotated them over the last 9 years or so and they're still going strong.

As far as a CPAP machine, it is definitely good to have a spare. The 10 year old one may just quit some evening, and now you won't have to scramble to get one. Also in my experience, I tend to need something at a time that that resource all but disappears from the marketplace.

Recent example: tubes

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
From many years of working in broadcasting and being taught the importance of trouble shooting, the first thing you do is make sure the power cord is properly attached on both ends and the power switch is in the ON position. It's a great theory that really should be practiced.

That being said, I've often missed that first step.

Having a backup, for something important as a CPAP machine, is a good idea

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
My wife is an inveterate shopper! She came from a family with a total of nine siblings. There was NEVER enough of ANYTHING. Now, she loves to shop. It's even starting to rub off on me. She wanted me to take her to the Skechers shoe store the other day, so that she could get some sandals, and a new pair of walking shoes. I was just meandering around and spotted some really nice golf shoes on sale for about a third of the normal price. I bought them even though I already had three pair of golf shoes at home.
I HATE shopping, but BUYING has never been an issue for me!!:lol:
:oops:

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
From many years of working in broadcasting and being taught the importance of trouble shooting, the first thing you do is make sure the power cord is properly attached on both ends and the power switch is in the ON position. It's a great theory that really should be practiced.

That being said, I've often missed that first step.

Having a backup, for something important as a CPAP machine, is a good idea
The OP's description of the problem seemed odd to me. Why would it hesitate? Now we know! My newest BiPap tells me if the power cord is even a little loose at the machine!

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The OP's description of the problem seemed odd to me. Why would it hesitate? Now we know! My newest BiPap tells me if the power cord is even a little loose at the machine!
In my defense, the cords were plugged in correctly. My only guess was that it was only putting out marginal power and took multiple tries to kick off the blower. I may take a meter to it to check. Or maybe not.😁 I already admitted to feeling stupid.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
In my defense, the cords were plugged in correctly. My only guess was that it was only putting out marginal power and took multiple tries to kick off the blower. I may take a meter to it to check. Or maybe not.😁 I already admitted to feeling stupid.
What brand is giving you trouble? Any warranty on the power supply?

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
&^^^^ the machine is probably 10 years old with continuous use. No complaints on it having an issue running 8-10 hours a day for that time frame.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Where did you buy it? I'd like a back-up.
I found several on Etsy. I was looking for my specific model, a resmed system one. There were two, both from small sellers. Refurbished models were 2-3 times more. The one I got had low hours. Probably someone who didn't like a cpap.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My son (23) was just diagnosed with moderate complex sleep apnea. He has already had one sleep study and neither machine they tested with him was effective. He has another sleep study this week, keeping our fingers crossed. This is my youngest, the same one that had kidney failure in 2020 at the height of the pandemic. We were lucky in that he received a transplant last year, but it has been a very bumpy road. He has been through more in the past 2 years than anyone should have to go through in a lifetime.

We are fortunate in that the facility is 5 minutes from home and they have been very responsive. Not sure my OCD brain wouldn't constantly worry about a machine bought used on the internet :oops: That is just me though...

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
My son (23) was just diagnosed with moderate complex sleep apnea. He has already had one sleep study and neither machine they tested with him was effective. He has another sleep study this week, keeping our fingers crossed. This is my youngest, the same one that had kidney failure in 2020 at the height of the pandemic. We were lucky in that he received a transplant last year, but it has been a very bumpy road. He has been through more in the past 2 years than anyone should have to go through in a lifetime.

We are fortunate in that the facility is 5 minutes from home and they have been very responsive. Not sure my OCD brain wouldn't constantly worry about a machine bought used on the internet :oops: That is just me though...

I have both obstructive with a little central thrown in for good measure. I had to go to a BiPap for that reason. I can sleep OK with a Cpap, but could wake up dead one day.

bobio

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have both obstructive with a little central thrown in for good measure. I had to go to a BiPap for that reason. I can sleep OK with a Cpap, but could wake up dead one day.
They tried both CPAP and BiPAP with him and in the results they stated; Both CPAP and BiPAP were not sufficient in treating the patient's sleep disordered breathing. The next study the recommendation is; a titration of VPAP with ASV...

20220522_210832000_iOS.jpg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
They tried both CPAP and BiPAP with him and in the results they stated; Both CPAP and BiPAP were not sufficient in treating the patient's sleep disordered breathing. The next study the recommendation is; a titration of VPAP with ASV...
That's too bad. I suppose those new implantable devices are just for OSA.

kuch

Tele-Meister

I got a new machine about a year ago and it is so much quieter and unobtrusive. I don't know who your coverage is through, but they had me do a sleep study and it was really easy, they sent me a unit, I hooked it up and used it overnight and sent it back; easy peasy.

The new unit is a resmed airsense 11 and it's great, tons quieter than the airsense 10 and a lot "smoother".

Flip G

Tele-Holic
I use a CPAP machine and full-face mask.

I've always wanted to write a story about some dude buying a used CPAP machine on Craigslist.

A haunted CPAP machine!

Breathing in another man's final death rattle, night after night, after night ... !

Ahh! 😶‍🌫️