1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So I am thinking of buying a lap steel guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Throttleneck, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Hi Folks,

Well, old age is catching up with me and I have arthritis in both wrists which limits the amount of time I can play. So the strumming/picking with my right hand bothers that wrist and bar chords bother my left.

I was watching Larkin Poe the other day and thought. You know that sounds pretty cool. Then I thougth, maybe I could play one. And maybe use three fingers instead of a thumb and two fingers.

Seems like old Supro's can be had for around 500 bucks. It isn't a telecaster but maybe I could get a bit more playing in each day.

Anyone play the lap steel?

2. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

verb boten likes this.
  3. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the link. I don't know why but I am fascinated by them at the moment. I know there will be a learning curve but man I like how they sound.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I bought a 59 or 60 Fender Champ lap steel last year for $500 CDN. I've had it in C6 and have had a lot of fun learning and playing around. I'd say keep your eyes peeled for something you want, then go for it! Lots of fun.

IMG-20190515-WA0000.jpeg

MickM, verb boten, EsquireBoy and 5 others like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

There's that GE Smith interview where he talks about buying lap steels to pull the pickups and put them in his Teles.

You can spin a Tele like that standing lap steel in the LPoe video, because of the flat edges, raise the action, and 'steel the show'.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  6. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Hell yeah!
    Meet the family.

38186A71-4ED7-4D61-A939-D0F4BBCA8052.jpeg

I recommend a vintage lap steel. You can buy on fleabay for pretty cheap, and then you’ll have something with mojo, that will have that cool sound. The four on the right were purchased on eBay. The Gib (far left) I bought on the internet, but it was a private deal. Be careful though, lap steels can be addictive.:eek:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mine is so close to this, but is a '66.

But I'm going to play conventional six string as long as I can. I'm afraid my steel hasn't been played since 2016.

8. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve got a ‘47 Gibson BR 9. I never really never learned to play it properly but it is fun.
    I’d say go for it

verb boten likes this.
  9. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

here's mine. 33 Rik frypan. C6

AlbertaGriff and loco gringo like this.
  10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I hope you get excited about it as an instrument, and not just because of a health issue. There's nothing like steel guitar and not that many players out there. I had a really nice one but I found it very hard to learn c6. I am hoping to try it again soon though!

11. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

I thought I would try one also, but never got the hang of it. Had purchased a Morrell lap steel, will sell it for less than $500! Just PM me if interested.

12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Vintage ones are cool but before spending $500 you might throw one together from spare parts.
    Tuners and a pickup are all the guitar parts you really need, mounted on a piece of wood.

stinkey likes this.
  13. T-Bone

T-Bone Tele-Afflicted

I just added a ‘57 Fender Champ to my stable. It’s the Telecaster of Lap Steels!

B2903989-7EDD-4D38-8FDC-E5BC9EFC81A5.jpeg

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

FB254F1B-DDE1-4765-880E-609C8405325A.jpeg Back about 20 years ago the 6 string version of early Fender double necks could be had ridiculously cheap because everyone wanted the 8’s.

I got my 1954 Dual Professional Six (identical to this one) for $300.

Trapezoid pickups ? Unbelievable. Such great tone.

Three telescopic legs went in the compartment in the lid of the case.

While I’m a better than average slide player with a regular guitar held normally ?

I could not make the transition and didn’t want to essentially imprint new muscle memory to learn it.

All I was playing was open D/G which I already knew so -

Out it went after a year or so...

15. tvas22

tvas22 Tele-Meister

I’ve just taken it up and I love it. Took me about a month of daily practice to start pitching consistently, but now it seems like I’ve got the hang of it.

I tried with a shubb tone bar, but I actually found it to cramp up my hand and hurt after a little time playing. I’ve got on better with a fat (30mm diameter) glass bar. For me it’s easier to control and pitch, and you can hold it more gently.

I also picked up a c6 slide rule chart which I found really useful for learning the major scale position.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

I cured the itch with this thing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It takes 3 minutes to load/unload and you can use your guitar as guitar after noddling

17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Old Supro, you say? Good idea!

IMG_20160804_120213.jpg

Wildcard_35, Stringbanger and Alamo like this.
  18. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I'm inheriting my grandfathers lap/console steels. Although I have to sell most for my grandma, I'll be keeping at least 1 or 2 fenders, haven't decided which ones. His pedal steel is going to a family friend for less than its worth, but it feels like the right thing to do.

I look forward to trying to learn how to play these things, I've always loved the sound.

@Throttleneck
    One of the Fender console steels has tele controls. Not quite a tele, but not miles from familiar control wise. Unfortunately, I'll need a BSB tele to match it. Maybe I'll get a squier and water slide on the block fender logo to match one of them?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  19. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

It looks like a stock pic of an acoustic for an example. Does it work fine on a tele?

20. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Bought a cheap SX from Rondo to see if I could make some useful sounds. Actually, the open E tuning has opened up some possibilities.

If I stick it out, I'll get myself something decent. Did I ever mention the pedals I have that I don't use? :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.