So, I’m a Super Strat Guy?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by MilwMark, Oct 10, 2020.

1. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If I’m being candid, GAS has been a constant (and not just due to my celiac and lactose issues).

Have cool guitars that sound good and play well. But always scrolling for sites and flipping.

Then in a complicated story (bought an amazing EJ Strat, went to pick it up. Hated it. The absurdity of my condition welled up. Grabbed a stock Charvel off the rack. Instantly clicked and walked off with it instead.).

This guy.
    96DFCE8F-AD40-49D5-8213-93615194681C.jpeg

First guitar I’ve owned since knowing you could change things where I literally wanted to change - nothing. Ok. That’s a stretch. I did add a treble bleed and a tremstopper because country/pedal steel bends are important to me.

But other than that, no screwing around with bridges or nuts or tuners or trem or swapping pickups or switching options. Nada. It just worked for me. Sounded like I want. Played like I want. At rehearsal every crazy idea that popped into my head came out the guitar. Parts I wrote that were sometimes hard to execute came out clean and EZ. Band LOVED the sounds and how they slotted in the mix.

I have been eying the HM Strat reissue but the Floyd has been putting me off. Mint one at 7.2 lb showed up at my local shop. Strummed it. Rang like a bell. Bought it. Same thing. Here she is.

B23E8FEA-CDBD-46A2-827A-A0C2FBA67E7A.jpeg

No need to even consider mods. Ok, other than the treble bleed and tremstop). And again it just does what I want and sounds like I want.

Everything is “wrong” about these guitars based on what I “knew” I needed. Neck, radius, pickups. Etc.

But I noticed after a few weeks that the gnawing voice was ... quiet. I’d reflexively check my fave shops and sites online and click some links out of habit. But had no interest. And no active “need” to look like before. Nor any desire to buy. Weird.

Cleared out some AMAZING guitars to pick these up and ended up with a really nice pile of cash. At first it kinda hurt to let go of them but I was finally able to admit they sat more than they got played because while I loved them in concept, they didn’t really click for me.

Anyway, long post. Really only to say: it’s great. I like that quiet and to just have my guitars be what they are. Tools to allow me to express myself. And have fun. Finally have the right ones.

And how strange. Without a transaction gone sideways I would NEVER have picked one up in the first place! Fate, I guess.

2. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

I keep telling myself I don't play metal anymore. I don't even own a medium gain amp let alone a high gain one. But man those Charvels and Suhrs, they call to me sometimes.

erratick and MilwMark like this.
  3. MilwMark

Me neither. The surprising thing is the pickups sound great for edge of breakup and rolled-back cleans.

But maybe that shouldn’t surprise me. Watching EVH or Warren DiMartini or Phil Collin, they were on their volume knobs constantly for clean to mean.

My only “active” band right now is original punk/garage/indie.

Here’s our latest album that dropped this summer. https://floormodel.bandcamp.com/album/slightly-damaged

I play the riffy second rhythm guitar and all the leads. Tracked it on my ‘74 Tele Custom through the studios SFDR and tracked again through their early JCM800 212 combo. So some heavier tones but lots of “edge of breakup” and mild overdrive.

I can easily get these tones through my amps (HRD IV and PRS Sonzera 20) at non-crushing iso room volumes with the Superstrats.

GreatDaneRock and Jakedog like this.
  4. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Congratulations. Those charvels are pretty sonically versatile.
    It’s beautiful too.

MilwMark likes this.
  5. Rattfink

Rattfink Tele-Meister

I might have to give one of those a test drive soon. Both of those look great.

Curious, what do you use as a tremstopper?

MilwMark likes this.
  6. MilwMark

Rattfink likes this.
  7. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Two beautiful and distinctive guitars!

I love 'em.

:)

MilwMark likes this.
  8. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Afflicted

I’ve actually really like that Charvel.. so much bang for your buck.

Nice!

MilwMark likes this.
  9. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

Those Charvels are really nice. They play effortlessly and really quality components right out of the box. Nothing gets in your way and nothing to overthink. I’ve considered picking one up pretty much every time I play one in a store.

For a “do-it-all” guitar there are few better for the price.

MilwMark likes this.
  10. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That is a fine looking Charvel. I'd like to see one of those at my GC but they don't carry those.

I would think about changing the knobs and pup covers to those sorta cheesy 'vintage' beigey colored ones they use on the CV 60 Strats.
    But don't listen to me, I play in my basement.

Bet it sounds just great.

Congrats on the finds.

MilwMark likes this.
  11. Injam

Injam Tele-Meister

That Charvel is pretty.

MilwMark likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Nice!

MilwMark likes this.
  13. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch Tele-Meister

While I have and like the classics (Tele/Strat/LP/SG/offset etc), I think a good guitar stable needs a superstrat/metal git of some kind. I personally really like Charvel Fusions - if I can’t play something, I can’t say the guitar is holding me back.

14. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

The Charvel looks sharp, I can see how that could entice.

Floyds ... I just don't like them.

I'd probably eventually mod the Charvel with an Armstrong Blender ... because that's what I put on my triple pickup Strats and I'd try it on that one with the humbucker for fun. Stacked tone knob then it blends SS"S" to HSH (or HS"SH"), it keeps the stock functions and then adds some playful options as a blend not a hard switch.

MilwMark likes this.
  15. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

You like what you like, no need to understand it or apologize for it.

Fiesta Red, Jlwctn and MilwMark like this.
  16. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I like to see what you're into as of late. Thinking back on this series of your "so I'm a ___ guy" threads, there's been a lot of variety. One thing I really like, especially in these more recent threads, is that you are completely free of the tradition of what you "should" like. You're thinking totally independently and not apologetic about it. That's good. I'm not sure I could do that yet.

swervinbob and MilwMark like this.
  17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I LOVE a that Charvel. I would pick that over the EJ Strat, too. I love and have other Strats, but I would end up swapping parts and pickups on the EJ - and that seems like an absurd thing to do with an EJ. That Charvel would be way more my type of thing right off the shelf. Congrats on the great new guitar.

MilwMark likes this.
  18. MilwMark

Serendipity. Would never have guessed. Just picked it in frustration and to give myself a breather to think. Happened to be hanging right there. Million to one, doc ...

theprofessor likes this.
  19. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Are you a "Super Strat" guy, or are you a super "Strat Guy"?

Laugh at me for this:

I keep looking for Floyd-equipped MIM Strats to build a surf machine out of, but maybe I should be looking at superstrats instead?

MilwMark likes this.
  20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

It is really great when you run across an instrument that lets you express yourself with maximum simplicity and minimum fuss. I have had it happen twice so far. Once about twenty years ago with an early 60s Melody Maker I got as part of a trade, which had been butchered into a two-HB four-knob LP-style wiring scheme and given the Leo Quan Badass wraparound bridge/brass nut 70s rocker enhancements, refinished in orange-peeled metallic maroon and the giant enlarged body rout—possibly done with a splitting maul and round-point shovel—covered with what appeared to be a freehand pickguard shape.

It was a sad sack of a guitar.

The upside was, I felt fee to experiment without jacking it up any worse, and after trying neck HB only (nope), and a Ric Hi-Gain single coil for sort of a LP Jr. look (nope), ended up with a total cow punk twang machine after swapping to a single Strat-type PU backslanted in the bridge position...not unlike your gold Charvel. The only issue I had with it was the neck was a little too skinny for my bratwurst-like fingers. Open position chords were a little
    cramped. However Suddenly I could wrap my thumb over the top of the neck for adding that all-important low F# note to an open-position D chord...anyway, it’s been sitting half-disassembled in a case for years but one day I’ll cut a new pickguard and get it back in play.

More recently a plain black Squier Bullet Special with a hardtail bridge and one HB and one knob has been the twanger of choice. Cheap, sturdy, comfortable for me to play and sustains like a lap steel.

MilwMark likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.