So how tough is it to...

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
Reverse the pickup order on a Squier Classic Vibe '70s Custom? Swapping their place, so the HB is the bridge PU and the SC the neck.
I'm referring to this model:
SquierCV70sTeleCustom.png
I ask 'cause I have plenty of SC bridge PU guitars, not too many HB bridge PU's, and the bridge PU might sound very good placed in the neck position. Sweet with some punchy edge. And moving the stock/pseudo-WRHB to the bridge might serrate out some of its innate muddiness.

I know, Why not an HB + HB Thinline? The answer there is that I really like this model's LP-style four-knob controls, which the otherwise handsome Thinline HB + HB Teles don't have.

And I really dislike the goony inflamed-Strat head on the Classic Series '72 (which is HB + HB, w/ LP-style 4 knobs). To me, that headstock seriously insults a Tele. The only ugly guitar I'm comfortable playing is my Jazzmaster. And that's just because it sounds and plays so obscenely good it makes me close my eyes and drift away. Otherwise, a guitar has to look good to me for me to play it fluently.

Yes, as the saying goes, "Deep down, I'm pretty superficial."

So what's the routing possibility here? Is the pictured Squier even capable of an HB (and so chunky a one, at that) in its body for the bridge PU?

Then, what about the wiring? Just moving stuff, or is more involved?

Thanks for your feedback.

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They make tele bridge plates that can accommodate a humbucker, and mounting plates that will hold a SC in a HB spot. I think I’ve seen em at Guitar Fetish.

Bear in mind those particular PUs will be voiced for their respective positions, so that bridge pickup will be HAWT at the neck where the string is really moving, and that HB might need to be quite high to get balance. I think there’ll be enough adjustment travel in the mounts to accomplish it, but you will be sorta fighting the specs…
9DFC90F6-75D1-473D-B7E6-D7E04B1FEE06.png
3E344EE0-ADA2-4326-91B1-006E159853BC.png

Last edited:

RoscoeElegante

Poster Extraordinaire
I added some screen shots to the above post
Thanks, Jupiter. Much appreciated. So I guess the big question is since the Squier's body is routed for the SC bridge PU--
$_57__97011.jpg
--how tough is it to open that for the WRHB?

I wish I didn't feel so snagged by the Classic Series '72's swollen-Strat head. I'd otherwise be happy with that model's HB + HB and the 4-knob thang. I could just swap a regular Tele's neck into it, I guess.

But it seems a waste to buy a guitar and then spend more $ on changing the neck just 'cause of its looks. Even so, that headstock looks like Brady Bunch lapels to me....

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Opening up that route is easy—depending on how pretty you want it… ;-) I’ve seen guys do it with a screwdriver! Lol. I have a router and am only somewhat afraid of using it, and that’s a pretty easy job.

But to be frank, I think I would recommend buying the body you want and slapping the neck you like onto it, unless you’re one of us weirdos who prefers the joys of DIY.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
They make tele bridge plates that can accommodate a humbucker, and mounting plates that will hold a SC in a HB spot. I think I’ve seen em at Guitar Fetish.

Bear in mind those particular PUs will be voiced for their respective positions, so that bridge pickup will be HAWT at the neck where the string is really moving, and that HB might need to be quite high to get balance. I think there’ll be enough adjustment travel in the mounts to accomplish it, but you will be sorta fighting the specs…
View attachment 1014001 View attachment 1014002
That and most Tele HB bridges dont fit that vintage spec three saddle body drilling

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
Roscoe, it’s no big deal to modify that cavity if you already know how and have some experience. Since you are asking us, I assume this is a new operation for you. If that’s true, let me suggest you get a cheap 2x6 and practice. Make a few cavities, and just continue until the last two are perfect. Then attack the body.