1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So how does your wife/SO feel..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8trackmind, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife and I have played music together since we met. She plays Strats, I play Teles.
    I’m very fortunate that after 44 years we are still at it.

2. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I've been on both sides of this situation. Had women who loved it, had women who didn't, and worst of all: a woman who actually loved it, but still resented me for loving it too.
    But that stuff's all done - I'm in a great relationship now, finally where I should be, with the right woman. And a lot of it is due to my being not quite as stupid as I used to be. That takes time, but it's worth it. I play when I want, because I put in the work on the rest of our life, too.
    I don't want to jinx myself by saying it, but: I'm happy.

Rustbucket and 8trackmind like this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My wife's coming with me to hear a fellow TDPRI member perform this weekend. Totally unexpected on many levels.

8trackmind likes this.
  4. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Like many of us, she has different feelings at different times. She’s both bought gear for me as a surprise gift and questioned why I’d buy something I did. She’s not playing much these days but we do still get together with the old band occasionally. Our real disagreements aren’t about the things we buy.

8trackmind likes this.
  5. hudpucker

hudpucker Tele-Meister

A partner who's non-supportive of music/musicianship?

That's a deal-breaker for me.

modavis99, Larmo63 and 8trackmind like this.
  6. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Ah, have you used the old empty guitar case trick yet?

7. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

No, but there's one at my Dad's house along with my old amp.
    It's not really as bad as I made out. I was having a bit of a laugh.
    I owned up to the last guitar & it only cost £70.
    She saw the speaker cab but didn't realise it was new!
    My last pedal was £10 after discount & I sell almost as much gear as I buy.
    I'm about £130 in the red over last 6 years.

8trackmind likes this.
  8. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I met my other half at a regular music night where i used to play. Over the intervening 15 years she's come to almost every gig with the various bands, is very supportive and gets actively involved with bookings, etc.

The music is a large part if our social life and i count myself a very lucky man.

boris bubbanov and 8trackmind like this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My girlfriend and I have some hobbies in common and some separate. We don't exactly stay reasonable but since we both overspend by about the same amount, it works out.

I completely overhauled her financial situation and now and again she remembers that. No complaints about the guitars, except they take up space needed for guests.

She tends to like a lot of the same music and that's always a blessing (since I listen to some really weird stuff). She's got a good singing voice and a good sense of pitch but had no aspirations towards music, in the past or now.

10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

I picked guitar up late in life (relatively). When attempting to quit smoking for the upteenth time, I really needed something to keep me engaged.

It worked out well. I found a rewarding hobby, and finally got that monkey off my back.

basically guitar has been nothing but a positive and healthy outlet in my family's life.

soooo.....

that's gone miles so far :lol:

I get quite a bit of slack.

4pickupguy and Rustbucket like this.
  11. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

My ex, the mother of my children, hated my music, though that was not the worst of our problems.

My current partner is very supportive. I am by no means a gear junkie, and she loves it when I sing her songs. She even asked me for a bass for her upcoming birthday so she can learn to play along. I do hope she learns, but if not I’ll at least have a nice acoustic bass to play. ;)

12. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

My wife and I have same agreement regarding guitars as we did during my many decades of motorcycle ownership. I could have as many motorcycles(guitars) as we could reasonably afford, but no women.......I was, and still am good with that.

4pickupguy, 8trackmind and Rustbucket like this.
  13. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

My wife supports my gear acquisitions and even wants to go with me on my gear quests across the state.
    I’m a lucky guy.

8trackmind likes this.
  14. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Meister

Smart, you got her involved.

8trackmind likes this.
  15. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My SO loves it. Wife, not so much.

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife competes in Class A Hunter Jumper shows frequently. She has ridden since she was 8 and we are in our 50’s now.

She has passion and commitment to her horses and riding and lessons and competing.

She gets it. There are equestrian shops that have less inventory than our lower garage. I’m ok with my guitar stuff.

[​IMG]

17. draggindakota

draggindakota Tele-Meister

Well, I just ordered $125 worth of guitar parts so... If you don't hear from me after a week or so you can probably form your own opinions :eek::lol:

8trackmind likes this.
  18. Fuelish

Fuelish Tele-Holic

foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, east TN
    Mrs Fuelish is cool with it....heck, she bought me my most expensive guitar for my 60th b-day last year). As long as it's not super loud, she loves to listen to my playing.....have found a chead attenuator to be a great solution for this - get the amp cookin' and volume tolerable....not the greatest attenuator, but....doesn't degrade the sound enough to matter to me. I'm pretty much done with buying guitars, have my bases well covered, and am not one to want multiple versions of the same model guitar....got my b-day guitar (Fender '72 RI Tele), a Squier Strat (possible pickup upgrade candidate), an Epi LP (might swap to humbucker sized P90s....have decided after all these decades I really like single coils), an Epi Wildkat, a '65 Harmony H15, a Squier Bronco bass, an Epi AJ18 acoustic, and a mystery brand cheap acoustic my father-in-law had in a closetr for decades, the name escapes me....made in Israel, had fretboard stickers that were all off by one fret, sky-high action, and a broken saddle in the bridge....dunno if it's worth even trying to rehab....hell, there's no truss rod.....couple of amps, I think I'm good. She's never complained, because, it'd be easy to spend more on a single guitar than what I have wrapped in all of these....and I need no more, am not a paid musician....it's all good

8trackmind likes this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

It would not be possible for me to spend the $$ my wife spent on horses, or the $$ I spent on the 120 acres they run around on.

I met her playing guitar at the local roller rink. That was 50 years ago.

8trackmind likes this.
  20. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I'm Andy B also. Are there two of us?

Andy B and 8trackmind like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.