So how does your wife/SO feel..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8trackmind, Jun 25, 2019.

1. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

My girlfriend is very supportive - as long as I'm not spending too much on it all. She's not a huge fan of loud noise so she usually puts in earplugs and works in her sewing room while I play at home. Her and I modified an Epiphone LP Jr. with a Gibson P90 I had sitting around and painted it pale pink together, and that's her guitar that she's starting to learn on along with a little Yamaha THR5.
    So... she's getting more and more into it.

2. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I have only been with my fiancee a couple years. We met after she was coming out of a bad 12 year marriage with a huge a-hole who was married to another woman the whole time without her knowledge (!)

And I was coming out of a 21 year marriage (my only real, lasting relationship) with a woman who was...difficult and quite narcissistic. Once she found a guy who was shiny and new and had more money than me, she took off with him.

I do not deserve the amazing, gorgeous Lady I am with now. I did not know how happy and loving a couple could be. I am still unused to not feeling like a loser or never good enough. I am unused to the 110% support and encouragement. Incidentally, I am 50 and she is 60.

She herself sang in bands and churches for decades. We both LOVE music, and a great deal of the music we enjoy overlaps, though I do like a lot of things not really up her alley. This has never been a problem.

I don't have GAS and I have very little by way of instruments and gear. She bought me an acoustic for Christmas last year. Even though I suck, she always wants to hear me play. She would not care if I bought an instrument every week.

I cannot believe that I am the luckiest man to ever walk the Earth.

3. Richard T

Richard T TDPRI Member

She's great (so far, this is only 18 months or so old although we've known each other for many years). Has a love of a wider range of music than me, is frankly more rock'n'roll than me, has a couple of Seagull acoustics she periodically tortures, bought me a bass when I idly suggested I needed one (quite a good Bass Collection Jive - ie Jazz copy), and not only hasn't complained at a fairly sustained GAS attack over the last year but actively connived at getting round a strained '1-in-1-out' policy by suggesting I buy the Peavey Cropper I was after and give her the Gretsch I was agonising over selling. I've spent a shedload on her over the same period to be fair, but she's basically a giver not a taker so I doubt the attitude would change even if we were stony broke.

8trackmind likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

My last domestic partner used to like to hear me playing and singing from the other room. I don't think she was that happy about what I spent on gear, but it was my own money and didn't take anything from the household budget.

8trackmind likes this.
  5. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

The wife is supportive, she got me back into it after a few years out.

I've never had a relationship long enough to find out with a woman that wasn't supportive. I think there are, invisible to me, but not to the non supportive types, words on my forehead that say, "avoid this guy". That's fine with me.

8trackmind likes this.
  6. Dave Hicks

Dave Hicks Tele-Afflicted

She bought a ukulele - spent more at Sweetwater's Gearfest than I did.

D.H.

8trackmind likes this.
  7. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I was drunk and I met her between sets at a bar gig I was playing back in the late 60's. We got married 3 months later and our 50th. anniversary is right around the corner. These days when I play my guitar she shows no signs of hearing it and I'm not all that sure that she actually does.:)

aerhed, gridlock, modavis99 and 6 others like this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

She doesn't "get it." But then again, she buys lamps made of salt, "special" rocks to carry in her bra and pockets, spends money on "learning" scam B.S., like "energy healing" classes, smokes out the house with a bundle of sage...crap like that. But I sometimes carry the rocks she tells me to carry, just to appease her...and I get her the "cosmic" stuff I know she likes for birthday, etc. gifts...and we pay her mother's rent equally (which I am against, but could never say so because I'm not a freakin' idiot). I catch more hell for her thinking I am an "atheist" (which I am not) than for my disgusting collection of guitars that would probably allow us to retire if sold (not really, but damn, there are a lot).

Really, she just wishes I would pursue guitars and/or musicianship as a living, so I'm not spinning my wheels in a job I'm not that interested in just to bring home a pay check...and she wants to work in the business with me. She's tired of "making other people rich," and wants to figure out a way we can work for ourselves. Kind of the opposite of most women, really. I tell her no way; you're nuts. That sounds romantic and all, but it's no real living for most people.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    8trackmind likes this.
  9. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Meister

Yep, I currently have the time and the wherewithal to pursue music, but yes, the reality is probably closer me living under an overpass if I don't remain gainfully employed.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

The wife has been 85% a sweetheart about it, especially considering she's not especially "musical" herself and is a very practical, hardnosed kind of person when it comes to money (which I like). She definitely CANNOT see the point of having more than a couple of guitars, and definitely gets a little tired of the sheer amount of time I spend practicing and rehearsing, but mostly she is very supportive - doesn't object when I spend a little money on something, comes to almost all the shows and really enjoys seeing me do my thing. She gets that it makes me happy, and that makes her happy. Which is how it is always supposed to be.

8trackmind likes this.
  11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's

My wife is the drummer, and a good one. We rehearse and gig together and have a blast, going on 34 years.

8trackmind, 4pickupguy and Teddyjack like this.
  12. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Meister

My wife works at home, I teach lessons and rehearse and practice at home. Her mother was the signature on the checks I got for playing in the Yakima Symphony Orchestra as a violinist. Her father was a symphony trumpet player. I can’t imagine a reason she would object to my guitar playing as it’s how I earn a living and always has been. The late bloomers who take up guitar after marriage may be the ones with the most problematic marriage situations, the spouse has to get used to something they didn’t know about when they got married.

8trackmind likes this.
  13. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's

As long as I want to sit and pick instead of being out drinking....she's good.....she's rea....l good.

8trackmind likes this.
  14. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

My SO is very supportive, although to be fair she didn't come along until well after my heydays of buying stuff. She was always supportive with regard to rehearsals and gigs.

8trackmind likes this.
  15. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I'm currently single, but . . .

My late wife became incredibly supportive once we had two incomes (not counting my gig money which barely paid for my equipment habit).

She bought me a Martin HD 28V. Encouraged me to buy a Gibson Les Paul Special.

Encouraged me to buy an Egnater 40 and later a bunch of pedals.

Picked out a Mesa TA-15 when I was looking for a new low wattage amp. Sounds great. She joked for months about its "clean Vox sound."

Bought me two mandolins. One was for HER birthday. I let her have the shirt that Gruhn's threw in.

I should admit that, although she was supportive of efforts to mod my guitars, it might have got better when I gave that up. I was never actually happier with the guitar after I modded it than before. Now I only buy guitars that that I like as is.

I'm currently dating a woman who's also very supportive.

She shows up at my very occasional gigs, including open mics.

She bought me a Tech 21 Blonde for my birthday. I have a Takamine 12 string that she bought for her late husband sitting in my living room right now.

I'm a very lucky man.

Steve 78, Jim622 and 8trackmind like this.
  16. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I'm always being asked why I have/need/want soooo many guitars. I have 6.
    I've just discovered Keith Richards has 3000. Sooo...next time she asks..!!
    My largest combo is still at my Dad's house & has been since I moved out over 30 years ago.
    I just pick it up occasionally for gigs.
    I'm an absolute wizard at slipping gear into the house without my nearest & dearest noticing - including a guitar, a Boss BCB60 pedal case & last but not least a 2x12 cab. I collected my last pedal from a local Amazon Locker. What a great idea!

8trackmind likes this.
  17. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you need a full band around to play through a couple of sets.

8trackmind, WetBandit and Asmith like this.
  18. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I think the whole play a full song or something that I like is very common. My girlfriend likes stuff like the lumineers, seafret, george ezra, it has guitar in it but its acoustic and doesnt do well as a solo piece of music because its extremely repetitive.

8trackmind and WetBandit like this.
  19. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife is supportive in that she knows its just a part of my life and something I do. She does say that every electric guitar and amp I have (or had)sound the same

8trackmind likes this.
  20. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, all the bubble envelopes from Reverb sellers :oops:

Sweetwater is her "favorite" because she knows I'm paying retail o_O

8trackmind likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.