So how does your wife/SO feel..

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 8trackmind, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It has been asked before but it must be an interesting question. I’m lucky; my wife loves music and loves to hear me play anything, even just noodling though she surely loves my acoustic noodling more than electric. If I’m wailing away in the basement she’ll pound the upstairs floor with her feet if I’ve done something she particularly likes (often surprising me) and has said “I liked that” countless times after I’ve made something up on a flattop while just meandering around while she’s watching TV. She’d say “go for it” if I was interested in a guitar that cost as much as our house. She bought me my first Strat, a used ‘72 as a surprise Christmas present in the early ‘80s when she could hardly afford it because she knew I’d always wanted one. She is surely my biggest fan.

44 years in she drives me crazy up and down but I’m truly lucky.

2. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

My wife has seen the accumulation of MANY guitars over the last few years without complaint. Many of them have arrived and made their way -un-noticed- into my music room, in small boxes (necks, bodies, small parts, all separate). I think that's a key factor - not having large boxes containing complete guitars arriving.

I've become quite a Fender parts caster "assembler". The occasional small-ish box with a neck or a body is subtle to bring in and whisk into the music room.

The very small boxes with pickups, bridges, tuners, pots/electronics never raise an eyebrow. Especially since we get various other items delivered from Amazon almost EVERY DAY, anyway. Usually things that SHE has ordered. :lol: So, my occasional box is no big deal.

I don't "play out" so there are no issues around that.

She's totally un-involved with my music (which I find odd, but it is what it is). The only thing she requests is for me to close the door to my music room when I'm playing - and my playing is rarely louder than low to moderate "bedroom" volumes. Fine with me; it's the tone and the music that matters - not how LOUD it is played.

So... all in all, she's quite accepting, if not highly supportive. (I have about 25 guitars all around the music room. Usually with one, perhaps two, in separate pieces. My wife never notices new ones that I have assembled. The beauty of having so many, and modding them around fairly often, is that it is all just a blur to someone who isn't interested in or familiar with it all.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  3. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Holic

This one time, at band camp....

but seriously, I recently whipped up a half arsed rendition of Green Day's Fell For You to play for my SO, and.. well, she proceeded to fall all over me, so.. I guess I'm doing okay. She does think it's time I turned the work bench back into a dinner table. I can't argue with that.

Stubee, Obsessed, Teddyjack and 4 others like this.
  4. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My wife doesn't care anymore. I have a good wife too.

8trackmind likes this.
  5. JMac52

JMac52 Tele-Meister

My wife recently got me this T shirt. I guess she's OK with it...

IMG_2097.jpg

skunqesh, Martin R, Stubee and 6 others like this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Is not her bussines what I do with my money and spare time

Wildcard_35 and 8trackmind like this.
  7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

100% supportive. Same for me and her interests and hobbies.

She got a library... I got a studio/workshop.

If I’m out for a few days or a late rehearsal she gets undisturbed reading time... all round win.

8trackmind and Chunkocaster like this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Mine was happy to watch me sell my main guitar I had owned for over 20 years to put towards a house renovation before trying to take the lot from me in a year long court battle. She did seem supportive before the mask came off though.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    aerhed and 8trackmind like this.
  9. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

How does she feel?, she feels great :)

Oh, you meant about guitars and stuff, not squishies...

I sometimes get comments about just how much stuff I've got, but she realises a bloke needs to collect things. It's a primeval urge, and who are we to attempt to counter such things.

She does like it when I play 'nice' music, but has never liked the all out, three chord thrashing, sub-Sonics noisefest I enjoy belting out.

She commented on just how nice a couple of builds sounded and seems to be genuinely happy for me when the glass first starts glowing and I grin like a loonpot, but then questions why I need -another- amp/guitar/pedal/box of valves.

As long as the bills get paid, I get left to my own devices.

skunqesh, El Tele Lobo and 8trackmind like this.
  10. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

My wife loves me playing guitar, and hearing me play... she bought me a very nice Tele for my 40th a few years back. She loves music of all types, so I am more than good here - also me playing music has the added benefit of it not being DH mountain biking, my other hobby!! :D

While my wife never really gives out to me about MTB, she was less than impressed when I broke 3 ribs and separated my left shoulder AC last year. And the dislocated shoulder the year before, and the 2 broken wrists the year before that..! She suggested maybe I'd like to buy another guitar!

I often don't play much guitar in the summer when it's hot outside as I'm out with the kids, on the bike or playing the fool somehow, so for her my obsessional hobbies are kind of seasonal!

8trackmind likes this.
  11. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Meister

She wasn’t keen about guitar at all on the beginning. Actually, she said after a couple of dates that she just hates when someone plays guitar. Okay I thought, better keep guitars in the closet. Later she told me the reason: she’d been steady with a fellow who’d play AND sing completely out of tune 24/7. So a bit traumatized perhaps.

That was one of the reasons my playing was in hiatus for over decade. Since our children grew up a bit, I thought whatta heck, I have to have some hobby besides changing diapers and earning living to the family.

First she wasn’t too happy about it, mostly because of buying all the necessaries (10 guitars and 5 amps, give or the a couple :D). But as years has gone by and band activity is part of everyday life, I think she finally understands how important music is to my mentally. It’s the only other thing besides my family that keeps me sane in this crazy career-oriented life we live in.

skunqesh, Guitarteach and 8trackmind like this.
  12. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I take for granted she loves doing word puzzles, jigsaw puzzles etc, and she takes for granted I play music for relaxation. No drama ever.

She just went through several months of my planning for a musicians reunion event and probably is glad it's over but she had fun listening to all the different players. We had parts and pieces of about 15 bands of our past and the combinations brought a lot of smiles as old songs were rediscovered and new music revealed.

She's never said a single negative thing about my playing. We're good...

13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I also have a mancave, luckily she's fine with it and is happy there's no longer a guitar sitting in every room and a soldering iron/electronics project on the dining table like at our previous addresses. She's very house proud and doesn't tolerate stuff that doesn't look organised so at least theres a space she has no reason to fret about. As far as playing guitar, she has little tolerance for the sounds I make but our jobs mean we only see eachother a few days a week (I work evenings and she works in the day) so I get my time in the mancave and we spend time our time together together.

I still think she needs a more time consuming hobby that isnt cleaning. She likes animals and we have a variety of pets that we look after but to be honest they dont demand a lot of attention, other than that she occasionally does come crafts stuff and as it seems with your wife its little and far between.

14. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

My wife loves to hear me sing and play~but not to loud;)
    I save my "cranked up gonna test this out" for the deck or when she's out.
    I get more money from gigs than I spend for gear so no problem. She still comes to hear me play sometimes:cool:

The only complaint she has is that playing sometimes interferes with planning other events.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

We don't like the same music at all. She asked me the other day, "Why don't you play anything I like?" My answer, "How would I play EDM on solo guitar?"

She is reasonably tolerant of my GAS but if we have a budget shortfall, guess what gets blamed? Hint, it's not her numerous crafting projects.

8trackmind likes this.
  16. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'll find out when I tell her this set of three files that just arrived cost over £70...

17. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yep..loves music so that helps.
    Gets me out of her hair (sometimes)
    Helps her workout when I put my rock hat on.
    Better than having other hobbies
    that might include tires and car parts in backyard.

Teddyjack and 8trackmind like this.
  18. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

She prefers my guitars over my mandolins and ukulele. I just started playing electric guitar a couple of years ago and she was concerned about the volume but I’m playing jazz standards mainly and she was pleasantly surprised how good I sound.

I have three electrics and two small amps but play my Tele through a Yamaha THR 10C 95% of the time for short periods just to relax so my small collection is invisible to her.

Guitar is my hobby so she supports it.

El Tele Lobo, uriah1 and 8trackmind like this.
  19. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

My GF has a $8k sewing machine, a $12k sewing machine, a $200 sewing machine and an NOS sewing machine from the 1930s that is for display only.

She gets fabric in the mail all the time and has boxes and shelves full of thread and spare parts.

She gets it.

20. Rayf_Brogan

Rayf_Brogan Tele-Meister

She likes hearing me play acoustic and sing but has no interest in electric guitar. I can't blame her since I can only imagine how annoying endless noodling is.

8trackmind likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.