So how did Prince work out his songs from demos to finished songs? Here's a little insight.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

When Prince emerged in 1978, he blew people away by his sheer musicality, he played everything, produced everything and made it all sound cohesive.

Prince's first ever single was the rather suggestive "Soft and wet", it didn't do all that much other than becoming a club classic and a very much beloved track among Prince aficionados worldwide. Prince himself played the song live during the "Parade" tour of 1986 but was quickly dropped from the set list forever soon after.

"Soft and wet" live during the "Parade" tour.

Let's listen to the first incarnation of the song.

The lyrics weren't ready yet, he's ad-libbing, the synth solo is in this crazy, nasty, fuzzy sound and his rhythm guitar sounds very Hendrix. But all the same the song already DOES have that "IT"

And here's the second demo.

The lyrics are still not finished but are getting more into the direction of what Prince intended, the synth solo is clearer in tone and his riffing on that said instrument is much more in the mindset of "I'mma gonna blow ya minds!"

And here's the final version as how it appears on the album.

The Synth solo has not changed, Prince knew when to hold on to something what it was good. The Lyrics are complete but the Rhythm guitar isn't mixed in as prominent as it was on the previous demos.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
  2. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

theres a good article in Tape Op in the last couple of years with the woman who was his recording engineer. he was a tough boss, liked to record whenever, holidays, weekends, you name it.

like pink floyd, and the beatles and a lot of bands, the studio was his real instrument.

here's the link

https://tapeop.com/interviews/117/susan-rogers/

3. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

you can also hear the difference good mixing and compression makes on the finished track, yes the arrangement has changed, but the sound is so much better, due to the mixing and tweaking.

its great to be a musician and a player, but it helps to have some hands on with audio gear so you can understand how the sounds are manipulated to smooth as well as exagerate the dynamics of the arrangement. Its all important to produce a great song...

4. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hear you, when I was in the studio making my as yet unreleased solo album "The Return to Blueberry Hill" I was paying very close attention to what the engineer was doing.

As such I learned the art of compression, the use of reverb and panning and how the right amount of those tricks can make a track come to life. Any subsequent home recordings I did since had people complimenting me on the sound I got.

5. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Holic

I prefer the more natural second demo. Always interesting to see the development of a song though, and be reminded they don't just turn up fully formed.

Lawdawg likes this.
  6. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

Funny, I had the same reaction! While the song is relatively simple, the arrangements are quite sophisticated especially in light of the fact that he was only 19 at the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.