So, how are you keeping busy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by moosie, Mar 28, 2020.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I really like the specs on that Collings. Mine won't be anywhere near as nice, fit and finish, of course. There is the set neck, which I'm not sure if I'm up for. Beyond that, it's just a fancy Tele....

It's actually @brookdalebill's fault. He was showing his Les Paul, which just received staple pickups, and one thing led to another, and I'm watching that Collings video. All the ideas rattling around my head for the last couple of months aligned into a version of that guitar.

getbent and brookdalebill like this.
  2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He's the most spoiled dog ever! I like the way she talks to him...

I find myself watching this stuff, and thinking not too long ago my idea of a loser was someone who sat home all day watching cat videos. (Not that there's anything wrong with that :D)

johnny k likes this.
  3. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I’m working from home on bringing records up to date. Next week I’ll start updating manuals I’ve written over the past few years. There’s preparation for the fiscal year beginning in April to get started. My employer hasn’t laid anyone off. Union service technicians can’t do much at home but they’re still being paid their full salary and benefits. I can retire now if I want to and will if need be. I don’t want someone losing their job when I don’t really need mine.

I can’t spend all day playing my guitars. I restrung three of them. What I miss on lockdown is human contact. My wife is home too but I don’t meet new people. I never thought before about the number of people I talk to each day. Humans are social animals. We’re not meant to live under house arrest.

Matt G likes this.
  4. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Holic

Well, I did have a friend's Harley Benton T-type on my bench getting lots of work, so that was a big time sink, but very enjoyable. And I've got some ammoon strat kit I'm going to slap together for another friend in the coming days. But most of my project wood is gone or down to tiny scrap and off-cuts. So projects have been confined to the garden with my wife, which will be nice to have lots of time to really get prepped for the season.

Outside of that, been really trying to pick apart Grateful Dead tunes. It's been a huge change in my playing, much for the better.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  5. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Afflicted

Phoning the hospital trying to find out which ward my Father is in today.

Trying to cope with news-related stress.

moosie and getbent like this.
  6. 33Jayman

33Jayman TDPRI Member

I am working M-F yet. We are making storage carts (mod edit) Then i get home on the weekends and try to keep busy with house work and playing guitar.

Jayman

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2020
    moosie likes this.
  7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

We're spending a lot of time with our grand daughter, son and daughter-in-law.

8. P Bill

P Bill Tele-Meister

Nice work on the dovetails. Well made exposed joinery will always look good. Some of my joinery and some Ikea joinery. DSC05184.JPG

DSC05180.JPG

moosie likes this.
  9. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

I wish it was, going out shopping is scary, I’m retired and we have to do my wife’s moms shopping for her, she’s ninety one and healthy and we are trying to keep her that way. So my wife takes her moms list and I do ours. We got up at 5:00 am so we could do the senior shopping from 6:00 to 7:30 am. It’s like Venezuela out there, shelves empty, no toilet paper or when they do now the limit is two packs. They should have done that right from the start. Same with hand sanitizer and wipes.
    People in the big cities are still being irresponsible and going out, hanging in groups. Glad we live in the sticks.

moosie likes this.
  10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Calving season.

Matt G likes this.
  11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've decided to take this opportunity and read the entire internet. I've meant to for years, but somehow never got to it. I will start by reading all Captain Beefheart record reviews.

Matt G, moosie and Digital Larry like this.
  12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

He was telling you to get a Mic, this Reverb Chamber has Tone for Days!!!

johnny k, moosie and thunderbyrd like this.
  13. NBS2005

NBS2005 TDPRI Member

Working from home and we've been really busy. But with no commute I get almost 2 hrs back each day. I've been lifting heavy every other day, going for walks with my wife, cooking and ordering take out to support the local restaurants, and playing and writing songs. I've written 6 in the last 5 days. Not sure when I'll get to play them in front of folks (or is all six will pass muster).

Matt G likes this.
  14. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Working from home and shopping when needed.

15. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Rearranged my main pedal board a half dozen times. Ended up with a new power supply and a Mobiusssss. Maybe by the end of my month of W.A.H. I’ll have learned to MIDI CC/PC the whole thing...

16. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

cool any thing from workingman's dead?

17. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

18. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

went back to playing late night online chess too... I stopped playing long ago bec I started walking around the stores on the squares diagonally and found it hard to get thru the produce section without violating a rule. Then knight hop out the door got some strange looks too

moosie likes this.
  19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I worked like a son of a gun, down there in New Orleans for 10 days when it was still possible to go about your business and work in isolation. I think at some level I knew I'd be blocked from heading back down, anytime soon.

But I also worked very hard at The Cabin for 4 days last week and I do hope to be able to retreat to there when the time comes. Once I get trapped in one place, then I'll try to pace myself. Don't go nuts, working at any unsustainable pace. Just get enough done so I might sleep pretty well. I guess that's really the plan. Things to work on, to burn off a fair amount of energy.

Matt G likes this.
  20. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Work has graciously let us blue-collar types stay home for 60% pay for 2 weeks. I have COPD so I'm a 'high-risk' type, and I decided to take the pay cut and stay here. I'll probably pop in real quick on Monday to grab some stuff so I can work on some work things.

In the meantime, I've got several electronics projects in the works. One is a ~10W solid state practice amp, plus a bunch of test equipment such as a sine-wave oscillator/injector, a Volts/Amp meter set for my oldschool linear bench power supply and a handful or two stompbox ideas that I need to tinker on until I get them sorted. The last thing I touched was the power section of the SS project, but this layout is no bueno:

[​IMG]

It's really noisy and has issues with oscillation. I drew out a better layout on graph paper and I need to build it, but I've had a "respiratory irritation" over the last week or so, so I have avoided soldering. It seems to be getting better now.

As soon as I finish this, I was going to pick up the Mojotone "5e3 Small Parts Kit" and start building an honest-to-goodness Fender Deluxe. I have a local friend who has built several of them and builds cabinets for fun and this could be a really cool thing we do together. He's 67 and I worry that whatever I have could be "the virus that should not be named" and so I'll stay back for a long while.

Oh, and cleaning. My place is such a wreck. I'm such a slob. Not filth, but clutter. I've been straightening the joint out, including the workbench:

[​IMG]

This is the typical sort of wreck I've got going on. Or maybe worse. It's all straightened up for now.

For now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.