So, how are you keeping busy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by moosie, Mar 28, 2020.

1. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Big Al Anderson!!! We have a winner!

2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

It's been spring break at school for the last two weeks, so I've been off anyway. Built a pedal board, finished a speaker cab, re-papered some shoji screens, threw out a TON of junk, organized my wiring and router and dremel toolboxes, organized all my nuts and bolts and screws and drill bits (that was huge), and I'm in the middle of cleaning up all the mess in my workshop area after 4 years of constant (well, sporadically constant?) guitar making. Organized our desktop computer table too. That was pretty bad: 5 years of cruft in that area...

Also learned how to make wikkid caramel popcorn and tried my hand today at peanut brittle, which was a failure but I ate it all anyway lol.

No students at school like I said, but I've been going in a few times a week to lift weights, too. I've had the gym all to myself!

School is supposed to start next week, but outside of a brief orientation, we won't have students on campus, so I gotta start figgering out how to convert my classes to distance learning. Luckily, I've been using google classroom a lot already (I have been about 75% paperless the last year), so it won't be a big learning curve, just gotta load up the stuff I used to do face to face.

I thought I was gonna play guitar more than I have...

3. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

Glad we got border collies!!

johnny k likes this.
  4. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I'm off until I don't know when, so I've been busy learning natural minor scales and editing/improving eighty or so short stories I wrote years ago. Also been rotating my guitars and amps so they all get an equal chance to be abused by me.
    I can always find something to do, which is good practice for when I retire next March (unless there are other plans for me... :D).

Jared Purdy likes this.
  5. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Learning Wind Cries Mary and Little Wing at the minute.

moosie, Buzzgrowl and navigate40 like this.
  6. Biffasmum

Biffasmum Tele-Meister

I listen to UK’s Planet Rock with Alice Cooper. This morning (last night as I’m in Australia) he played Three Steps from Lynyrd Skynyrd which he says really happened when one if the underage band tried it on with someone’s girlfriend in a bar. The lyrics tell the story, but I had time to blow the dust off my Squier Jag bass and realise I’m nowhere near quick enough on fat strings!

7. navigate40

navigate40 Tele-Meister

Retired, also. But, under lock down here. SO.....

Walk
    jupiterI.JPG
    Ride
    hd.jpg
    Make a healthy dinner
    paella.jpg
    Play
    acoustics.jpg

Repeat. But...miss seeing my folks, Mom is 86, Dad is 95 (WWII vet).

And miss this:
    JohnNotesFeb20.jpg

NBS2005, stevemc, Jared Purdy and 2 others like this.
  8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

F7566536-FABD-4CCB-BC24-5B8A85201B74.jpeg Here in Ponchatoula, La it’s strawberry season.
    This is always my busiest time of year.
    I make the large majority of my annual salary in March April and May.
    The sales landscape is very different this season. However, folks still need fresh produce.
    I am staying very busy creating new sales avenues and a safe environment to get it to them.

9. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

No those are not my videos, but i thought you guys would enjoy this crybaby.

moosie likes this.
  10. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

What have I been doing?

Failing technical job interviews because the interviewer has such a thick accent that I literally cannot understand the questions asked of me even after having them repeated 3 times.

Writing a 2D animation system. Only took 2 days.

Working on some embedded MIDI hardware and software.

Now that Liberace is up from the basement, rewiring the entire studio.

Mucking about with some small CNC stuff.

Playing all my old piano lesson books.

It's nearly warm enough to work on the deck again.

Contemplating making a set of tele templates.

Breaking down some hickory and bamboo for some bowyering practice.

Reconciling a backup drive with a recovreed drive.

Figuring out how to coach my soccer team without practices or games. Tough to do with a team sport.

And so much more. But I got laid off in January, so I was ahead of the curve when it came to being home.

Matt G and moosie like this.
  11. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Holic

Me?
    I'm cleaning up my basement. It's not dirty, but messy as the day is long.
    You almost can't believe the clothes and other things you find that have been just out of sight, because an old jacket or the box your last amplifier came in has been sitting on them for years.

The other day, I sawed up an old table that was on the verge of collapsing which my computer has been sitting on for the last 3 years.

It's a shame that something as terrible as this disease is giving us all this time on our hands, but I'm not wasting it.

I'm also not drinking at all; I don't drink that much anyway, but there's still two weeks left in Lent.

You have to do something to let the guy upstairs know you're thinking of him.

Good luck to us all.

Mike. o_O

Gardo likes this.
  12. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Wow!! Nice wood work!!! I cleaned the yard yesterday, front and back, swept the porch, cleaned out the garage, fired up the smoker for a six hour smoke of beef chuck ribs, played guitar. Answered a number of annoying emails from one student.

Matt G and moosie like this.
  13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Been home for 10 days, but working remotely. Get up early work for about 4 hours, take a nice break and then back at it. Yesterday my 9/80 day off I mowed the yard. Today I caught up a little on work this morning. My job today is clean the pool so maybe a swim next week if it stays warm. I've been practicing a lot. I suspect this will go on for another couple weeks. I order some big monitors from Amazon to help with work and I've wanted them for my DAW so excited about those showing up. Oh and lots of dog scratching to keep sane.

14. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

1. Spending too much time on here. :D
    2. Playing guitar
    3. Playing drums
    4. Recently finished a 2x10 baffle for my 1x12 cabinet
    5. Long walks
    6. Next week is Spring cleaning room by room & basement with the wife.

cc50fralin likes this.
  15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I’m retired so not much has changed for me. I haven’t been able see my granddaughters (8 & 5 yo) which is a bummer. Not having my usual lunches with friends etc.
    I’m catching up on reading. I rearranged my home studio by adding some new monitor stands.
    2D0C1A09-35E8-428A-98D1-FC8CF2FDA9DB.jpeg

I’ve been creating Beatle and Stones backing tracks:
    Taxman, Can’tBuy Me Love, Help, She Loves You, The Last Time, Midnight Rambler, Wild Horses. Not challenging but just fun to play.
    Completed 2 of about 6 projects around the house that needs to be done.

Matt G, stevemc, Jared Purdy and 3 others like this.
  16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve probably said this before, but when people ask about my personality type (expecting me to answer with a Meyers/Briggs type indicator), I reply, “Bipolar.” I’m an odd mix of extrovert and hermit. I’m retired, and I’ve spent my retirement time gigging (including pro bono gigs for senior care facilities), and RV camping.

The gigs are all suspended until further notice. (I have one booking made a while back for May 30th, we’ll see how that goes.) And one of our reservations for camping was cancelled (by the park), and so it will be a month or so before we know what that’s going to look like.

The upshot of it all on my schedule of late is that I basically haven’t gone anywhere since March 12th. I’ve gone out once or twice for takeout food, 2-3 to the Watermill Express kiosk, and that’s it.

And I’m pretty okay with it. Again, I can be a real hermit when I want to be. (After all, I do look the part.) So, how am I passing the time? TV doesn’t factor into it. We haven’t been watching more TV since this began. For me, I spend my time playing guitar. Posting on TDPRI. Facebook. Reading. Writing. Conversations with the wife. Playing with the dog. Lather, rinse, repeat.

And that’s actually not that unusual for me. It’s a difference of degree, not of kind.

moosie likes this.
  17. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Over time my whole basement has become a nightmare mess. Studio, store room, workshop, furnace room. I was modding my new Harley Benton Junior and finished that up, last night I started on cleaning the studio. I think the store room is next. I have fixed up a corner of my furnace room into a small personal jam area with a couple of amps and the whole room is filled with junk, er... guitar stuff I moved from the studio last night. I probably am going to build a new pedal board yet again, and I have other projects in the pipeline. I'm well stocked with beer wine and whisky to get me through all this.

I might even play some guitar at some point.

18. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Our company is considered an 'essential' business (water pumps and meters) so our factory is still up and running. Since I'm in IT, I can work from home. I'm supposed to be getting a mini-lab system shipped to me so that I can better emulate our productions lines with barcode readers, PLCs and such.

Other than working, I'm trying to get our garden setup for spring planting and working on a partscaster project.

moosie likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Nice looking shop setup @moosie and beautiful dovetails!

I wish I was in free time mode but instead I'm on my regular work schedule which kicks my butt in spring.
    While my wife lost her income so cash flow is down.

I do still love seeing the world changing as winter gives up it's grip on the landscape, sprouts of hope and renewal popping up everywhere. A couple of weeks ago I was also being musically fruitful (or so I thought) and excited about what I was playing, had set up my drums in hope to make some drum tracks (anything gotta be better than the Digitech Trio!) but then saw how cheap drum machines are and bought a used Alesis SR-16. Also found drums are not quite like riding a bike, gotta relearn those skills.

Anyhow, my playing passed a peak and is not as good as it seems to me it was back in the full grocery stores era.

moosie likes this.
  20. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Le
    I’m learning songs for a new tribute band that I started. Two days ago I was up on the roof cleaning the gutters. I started working on renovating my son’s bedroom. I bought a fixer upper last July a and have been reno’ing it since then. I need to start exercising again, I had some health issues back in November that have only recently been resolved. Picked up a Bluetooth scrolling pedal and isolated power supply for my pedal board. Overall, getting thought this as best I can by being in touch with friends and family and keeping busy. FB8A751B-6D3D-4965-9340-AB6B1081E772.jpeg E7C1654F-67B6-406D-A21A-57D78834CC26.jpeg 4B8E6A0E-0FD2-4EBD-B459-87770D7273DC.jpeg 2B3BF19E-3C47-4DA1-A072-3DA3CDA38538.jpeg C6D12C2B-F5FB-4FB0-8B0D-64465C4B99EE.jpeg

stevemc and moosie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.