So, how are you keeping busy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by moosie, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Strymons entry into the digital amp and cab modelling world.
    3 amps. Dlx rev, ac30, plexi
    3 cabs each that can be swapped in/out via simple ir manager.
    Simple device compared to the endless tweaking avail that other units provide. I find it very useful for getting lost for a few hours quietly playing a cranked amp without disturbing anyone.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  2. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just doin' a puzzle IMG_20200401_112600506.jpg

3. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

o.k. this is great , the first thing I though was " a bird bath." BAH-DUH slaps forehead long sigh, o.k. I give up, but it indicates
    that your being creative? maybe? what is it ? I missed that part . Please don't cut yourself .
    I give up .

1344bffb64bb80a422bcb3cf32f4d086.jpg

superjam144 likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Taking advantage of the opportunity to multi-task and get more of my vinyl converted to digital while working.

Shango66 likes this.
  6. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nothing exotic, just a planter. Grout takes care of all mistakes.

7. ping-ping-clicka

yes I like creations ? that are tile with more open or wider grout area when there are asymmetrical pieces, a sort of "Rustic" feeling, lacking the intense symmetry of the hyper symmetrical tile shapes and ridged grid lay out. watching t.v. 2.jpg

8. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Cleaning my home computer workspace and ran across some photos from way back there in Austin. See how many people you can identify in these photos. Also can you identify the "Venue"? Can you tell me the "Nickname of the 59 Telecaster in the photos? Bill_Kirchen2.jpg GrueneHall.jpg

Lost_N_Austin

moosie and superjam144 like this.
  9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

The iridium Takes pedals like a champ.
    In fact my old TS9 has never sounded better into the front end of the iridium. Caution tho, it doesn’t have an fx loop.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  10. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Giving raccoons haircuts...

superjam144 and ping-ping-clicka like this.
  11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

12. ping-ping-clicka

thanks for the warning.
    my super reverb and deluxe didn't have effects loops either but they took pedals no sweat, so... pause forewarned is fair play, thanks

Shango66 likes this.
  13. ping-ping-clicka

giving raccoons hair cuts , nce never hear that on before.
    raccoonjpg-55ddc797da3c88b8_medium.jpg

14. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, I started building a strat.
    Body.JPG
    I'm drawing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fan comic using Indian ink and ecoline colored inks, which are a nightmare to get the hue just right. As these two pages show, the girl went from Simpsons character yellow to the more appropriate hue because of me getting the right colors properly mixed.
    Disclaimer: Slight language
    QT22.JPG
    QT23.JPG

And as I'm typing this down I got out my 1987 Vester Telecaster copy and plugged it in and just played and played and played.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  15. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

I'm staying busy by learning jazz and classical guitar from a couple books. It's been really fun, I challenged myself, everyday I get a little faster... Go figure I enjoy blues rock the most but decided to broaden my horizons and open up my stubborn brain.

16. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds familiar, I've been doing the same, but I also learned how to play a facsimile of those chords and riffs in such a way that it doesn't make my hand hurt playing them.

Or to use a different term: Faking it.

superjam144 likes this.
  17. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Holic

I am realizing how versatile the tele really is... As I am getting a bit faster, I can dial in the guitar to sound pretty damn great with jazz or classical music... The legend must be true, a tele can do it all!!!

Yeah the jazz book was brutal, took me a couple months to work through halfway, but then I just forced myself to play it, even though to me it sounds like dirt... Then the chord shapes became effortless, and my comping was getting decent... I just hated the sound...

So I'm onto the classical because I genuinely love Bach and feel like unwrapping the mysteries in his music... It turns out it isn't as complex as I originally thought. He is the king of melodic scales, and two note chords. Of course I am at a turtle's pace, the songs are at least sounding coherent and I am gaining speed each day... It is something constructive, and has also opened me up to the fact that melody is what drives a song and makes it beautiful...

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Just about to grout the tiles in my kitchen. First time tile job for me, but I'm having fun. Still at home after a month now, garden next I suppose.

19. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Would that be the Coal Burner? Sure looks like Mr. Kirchen there...

Lost_N_Austin likes this.
  20. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This thread began with me cutting traditional dovetails to join the top and sides of a pair of cherry bookcases. Next up is to cut the joints for attaching the bottom to the sides. Regular dovetails can't be used, because as you can see, the bottom is raised up about 4". The sides come down to the floor, and double as 'feet'.

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 04.01.53 AM.png

The plan calls for sliding dovetail joints, which look deceptively simple. If the joint is cut properly snug, friction would prohibit it from ever being assembled. The solution is to taper one edge of both slot and tail. The taper is tiny, hardly visible to the eye. 1/32" over 10".

Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 04.04.11 AM.png

This is my first time cutting these, so I wanted to test on scrap. I milled more cherry the exact same thickness as my real pieces, and worked out the best sequence to make the cuts. I used the router table for everything. A 1/4" straight bit to clean out the bulk waste in the slot, then a 14" dovetail bit to finish both slot walls (separate passes, one's tapered). And the same dovetail bit on the tail board. The bit height is set once and never changed.

It wound up taking three days, and maybe nine times making the joint, to get it right, so I have confidence that I won't ruin my real pieces. There was tearout in a couple of situations, and it's very easy to confuse which edge gets the taper, and which way the taper runs. I wanted all that to become second nature, because complexity will increase big time when cutting the real pieces. Instead of one test piece, there are four joints (two bookcases), all cut at once. Need to keep all the pieces straight.

My biggest problem was a loose joint. Turns out that it's a difference of around half the thickness of a playing card between waaay too loose, and impossibly tight.

I know that because I rigged up a micro-adjuster for my router table fence, using a stack of playing cards, and a wood block clamped to the table. Cut the final tail edge 'fat', so that subsequent cuts can sneak up on the fit. Remove a card, and push the fence back. Repeat.

It's freaky, because even when it's a good fit, it appears too loose as you slide them together. But then when there's just a half inch left to go, it tightens up quickly, so much that the final tap must be done with a mallet. The edges are flush, and the joint is impossibly tight. Perfect.

Tomorrow I tackle the real pieces!

20200401_180446.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.