So, how are you keeping busy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by moosie, Mar 28, 2020.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't work, and I'm at home all day anyway, so not much has changed for me, in that sense.

When I'm not running errands or dealing with medical crap, normally I split my time between playing guitar, and my 'projects'. Now that the weather is warming up, I can work in the wood shop, so that will keep me very busy, for the duration (until it gets cold, if we're still doing this...)

Fortunately, just a couple days before the hammer fell, I had picked up a bunch of rough sawn 4/4 cherry, to make some bookshelves for my grandkids. That'll keep me busy for three weeks.

Next up, I'm gonna build my version of a Collings 360 LT M. The bridge will be a Mastery vibrato, and the pickups will either be Duncan Custom Shop Alnico 5 Staple P90s, or T-Armonds. Still working out if the neck will be set or bolt-on.

Beyond that, I have enough lumber to stay in the shop for a couple more years, building furniture, keepsake boxes, and stuff.

So, what are you all doing, besides staring at the wall, or watching television?

Milling the cherry... now that my wife is home during the day, she's annoyed by the noise my planer makes. Never bothered her before - because I used it when she was at work!

Milling 01.jpg

Cuttin' dovetails today. I insist on cutting them by hand, even if they're not as tight as they could be... Practice makes perfect :)

20200327_220742.jpg

Here's the Collings I'm going to model my build on. He's using Lollar Alnico pole P90s, and I'm going to use Duncan Staple P90s. Similar tone, the Lollars may be more Fendery.

Blazer, carpenter, Jlwctn and 27 others like this.
  2. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Holic

been working 84 hrs a week while everyone else been off . Bldg is closed and we hope to open back up w Five Finger Death Punch and Papa Roach apr 16th. For now I sit and make sure we don't have any problems and be ready to go when we are ready to open back up. My boss did just lay off 40,000 people. I'm glad I've made myself useful :)

Im a lonely old guy so not much has changed for me 'cept I cant find any toilet paper
    center.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  3. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I am putting on weight while watching zeus yelling for no reason.

4. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Looks good!

I’m learning to cook new things that use up leftovers so no food goes to waste. Quesadillas, falafel wraps (even make my own tahini sauce now), and fried rice are my current go to’s.

I’m also learning more acoustic blues, slide, and Hawaiian slack key guitar and reading and walking.

Have you considered buying your wife a nice set of Bose noise-cancelling earphones? In times like these, they can be in-ear marriage savers.

Matt G and moosie like this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

click, scroll... click scroll... glance up at the tv.... scroll some more, click,,o_O backspace... scroll..

hella busy...:D

StrangerNY, Matt G, Shango66 and 2 others like this.
  6. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Nice work moosie. Love the dovetails. My dad and grandad were cabinet makers so I know a craftsman when I see one. Sadly, I'm not.

moosie likes this.
  7. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I'm packing up, moving home over the next few days. Not in lockdown here yet but expecting it'll happen at any moment.
    I'm taking care to minimise my contact with others and hoping to get into new place before lockdown...........plenty to keep me occupied there for quite a while.:eek:
    Stay safe everyone.

8. cowasaki

cowasaki NEW MEMBER!

I managed to get all the parts to build 8 valve amplifiers before going into isolation for 12+ weeks. I build hand wired boutique valve amps. So far we have a Champ (awaiting faceplate), a Fender Deluxe (nearly complete), Fender Princeton, Fender Princeton Reverb, Gretsch 6155, Fender stand alone reverb and possibly 2 or 3 others.

9. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Any website or more details? Pm me if you like.

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Actually working a good bit. Work for a healthcare system, and some of my work is from home but I also am an alternate for the incident command so I take shifts there as well. Been playing a good bit of guitar, watching a little TV and doing some reading. When working from home and on nice days, manage to get a hike in with the pooch.

We do take-out once or twice a week and give an especially nice tip since I know this has been hard on the service industry folks.

Taking a few top-down drives in the roadster here and there.

Trying to make sure I keep a good exercise regimen to include yoga. I'm old and my body is stiff and not very flexible, trying to work on that.

Dan R, rangercaster and dan1952 like this.
  11. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!

12. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Spring is just around the corner in the northern hemisphere so It's planting time in the greenhouse. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bob M, FenderGyrl, Matt G and 6 others like this.
  13. rexhunta

rexhunta TDPRI Member

Staying Perthside or moving down to the better SW ?

As Crafty Fox said we aren't in Isolation yet, but can see within the next week or so it'll hit. I've accumulated enough timber to build a 3m w x 3.6m l x 2.4m h room in the corner of my shed for timber/guitar building work. I'm a pretty messy person so going to try and deal with it all in 1 area now, it's getting all over my car stuff everytime i build something.

14. moosie

I've been jonesing for take-out, but we're in full lockdown, and I'm pretty sure it's not 'essential'. On top of that, my wife is scared to have the containers in the house.

I said "what about all those groceries you brought in a few days ago?"

"That was a few days ago."

Uh-oh.

This is really a dream, right?

15. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Work 40 as usual, which has a good and bad side . . .and then

Dan R and dan1952 like this.
  16. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

@hotpot ... what sort of chooks have you got that lay eggs like that,,,,:eek::D

boris bubbanov and hotpot like this.
  17. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, here in Colorado we're on 'lockdown' too, except even liquor and pot are considered 'essential!' (no joke) Crazy times!

sean79 and Old Deaf Roadie like this.
  18. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Actually going to work. I oversee technology at a small convention center, which is publicly owned. We are considered essential staff although we have no clients back until 3 May at the earliest. We were told we would be used as an emergency morgue if it comes down to it. I'm not impressed.

moosie likes this.
  19. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

LOL :D Those are my 'Desiree' seed potatoes that will be going into the ground shortly.

trev333 likes this.
  20. moosie

Those Zeus vids are your dog? Very funny.

Love the standing in water dish one... "You've made your point..." :lol:

StrangerNY and johnny k like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.