So, has anyone out there measured the sensitivity/efficiency of Weber speakers?

whoisalhedges

Tele-Meister
They don't publish dB ratings on their website, I was wondering how they stack up... especially how their Signature line compares to other budget speakers like the Jensen Mod line.

ThermionicScott

Poster Extraordinaire
I think Weber prides themselves more on the sound and construction than the efficiency of their speakers, lest they help encourage people to shop just based on efficiency specs. Buried on their site are a couple graphs of frequency response, from which you could guesstimate the overall efficiency, but they're old and possibly out of date.

I believe the Signature series is a little less efficient than their bigger-magnet lines.

- Scott

Ricky D.

Doctor of Teleocity
I think Weber has a problem with the variation in measurement techniques skewing comparisons, so they don't publish that spec. You might be able to find out something by calling Weber.

I have an alnico Sig 12 in my 5E3. I'm very happy with it, but it isn't particularly efficient IMO. Small magnet, small voice coil = lower efficiency.

whoisalhedges

Tele-Meister
I believe the Signature series is a little less efficient than their bigger-magnet lines.

I'm sure this is the case.

I've heard Weber sigs (and higher-end Webers). I've heard Jensen Mods and higher-end Jensens. I've heard Celestion AlNiCo Blues and V30s. Trouble is, I've never really given the time to A/B speakers. I play a 12-watt amp, and would definitely like something that gives me volume and later (but sweet and musical) breakup.

Splattle101

TDPRI Member
I don't know any source for the efficiency of Weber speakers. But I do know that when I compared them to the Jensen P10R, the Webers were noticeably louder, all other things being equal. That suggests they're at least 3 dBa more efficient at those mid range frequencies that my ear hears best.

Your mileage may vary.