1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So Go Ahead and Flame Me ...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Collin D Plonker, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Chorus has been used to great effect in blues, country, and even metal. I think of Thank You, Purple Rain, and SRV. Sometimes its barely noticeable as chorus, but has a profound effect on the tone. I use it about 5-10% of the time.

2. hwestman

hwestman Tele-Holic

Not a hater but also not a chorus guy.

I think it can sound nice when others use it but they (at least the ones i have tested) alter my basic sound too much and make me disappear in the mix.

The last one I tried was the Mad Professor Electric Blue Chorus which was supposed to be the chorus for people who don't like chorus. I spite of it having a mix control it cut the low end of my dry sound so it didn't work out.

3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Ba ha ha!

4. bobk

bobk Tele-Meister

Rockman Stereo Chorus has been an always on for one of my guitars. It lives on top of my amp and is hooked up to the loop ....love it!

BB likes this.
  5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I too like chorus.

But like fuzz, reverb, vibrato, phasing, flanging, and delay, I fall back on a couple of maxims here;

* I'd rather cook with five dozen exotic spices than just salt and pepper

and,

* In all things moderation.

A little goes a long way, and in the end, whatever suits The Song is what works.

:)

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  6. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I like a little chorus "hear" and there myself.

I've heard a very subtle, even almost imperceptible "wetness" on Clapton's clean Strat tone going back to the late 70s. I always wondered fi if had a miniscule amount of chorus going on there every now and then.

7. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

OK, consider yourself "flamed!" 20171114_133120.jpg

loopfinding and telemnemonics like this.
  8. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I don't even know what chorus sounds like o_O

telemnemonics likes this.
  9. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

Breathes there a man, with soul so dead, who thinks this song would be better without an Electric Mistress?

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I saw the title and I assumed you were going to be the guy who bought the $500,000 Klon.

11. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I have to put on my sunglasses to look at that guitar, outstanding!

39martind18 likes this.
  12. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love a chorus and a choir.

13. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don't use chorus much (my chorus pedal is used for more Leslie/rotary-like textures, like in the Guthrie Trapp video I will post below...), but I love chorus... Steve Vai and Eric Johnson both use the effect beautifully, and I do use it like that sometimes as well. I have an EWS-modded Arion Chorus (which is kind of famous for being used for the Leslie effect by John Landau, David Grissom, Guthrie Trapp, and for fans of Greg V, that is how he got all his Leslie textures on his stellar album Tailgate Troubadour.

14. Jeremy_Green

Jeremy_Green Tele-Meister

For me, I use light chorus if I’m running a stereo setup because it just gives a nicer spread. On a single amp I seldom use it but when it’s right it’s right.

I am a big believer in music as ‘art’. As an artist I don’t believe any pedal or sound is good or bad. There are no bad effects only bad uses (or overuses) of them. If a song calls for chorus - give it chorus etc. It’s another colour in your sonic palette. If you dig it - use it.

Too many people make rules about things imo. As an artist, you need a thick skin because there is always gonna be opinions. So stand strong in your decisions and do what you feel is right for the ideal mental image you have of you as a player and stylist.

as you say “flame away”

15. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

For the longest time, I couldn't stand chorus. Never used one. Then traded into a RocketRide Asteroid chorus - essentially a tweaked, modded Small Stone. This thing sounds so good, I found uses for it. It's not on often, but it definitely changed my mind about whether any chorus could sound really interesting.

16. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Holic

Your're the Chorus Guy

17. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

Just dusted off my Danelectro Cool Cat (the bigger one in the metal chassis), ran the other end of the stereo out into my bass amp. Huge.

18. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I like the sound of chorus, as long as it doesn't sound like the 80s....

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Because I'm so stuck on the three saddle Leo correct non compensated out of tune Tele bridge, I can't use chorus.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  20. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

A Boss CE-2 was my 3rd pedal, and I probably got it back in '80 or '81. I remember mainly using it for clean stuff, because other than any OD from the amp itself, my only source of dirt was a triangle Big Muff. I never really liked playing with the rate cranked way up, and the depth was probably typically not set that high, either.

By the mid-80's I had one of those Peavey 2X12 Stereo Chorus amps (the SC 400, IIRC), so there was no need for the CE-2. Anyway, by the later 80's, even if chorus was still a popular effect, I was using it less and less.

I don't recall using chorus much in the 90's, despite having a different Peavey Stereo Chorus amp, and a multi-FX that had one. By that point, I was primarily using OD, delay, trem and reverb, and then some fuzz.

I probably was never big with chorus because the only stuff I might have tried to ape with it would have been some Police songs. I've mainly just been playing rock and blues stuff, kind of never much got into playing new wave or pop, and none of the hair metal stuff or anything like that. I was into prog rock in the 80's, and continued listening to it into the 90's, but admittedly didn't play much of it myself. Even though I was into both Steve Howe and Trevor Rabin eras of Yes, assuming that the latter had chorus on it, I was more into Steve Howe's tones on the older stuff. And TTBOMK, that was primarily an ES-175 into a cranked Twin Reverb or similar, and primarily using volume pedals more than anything else.

But these days, I'm even using delay a lot less than I have in the past, and I don't even currently have a trem pedal on my pedalboards. So it probably wouldn't be accurate to say that I'm anti-chorus, and probably just that I don't personally have a need for it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.