1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So Go Ahead and Flame Me ...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Collin D Plonker, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

... but I love chorus. I like using all kinds of modulation, but for ambient stuff, dotted eighths delay, even light overdrive, chorus just gives my tone more depth and texture.

I understand why a lot of players are hesitant to use chorus, given the way it was beaten to death.with eighties power ballads. Truth is, I never liked the power ballads either. And in my view, that's not enough to kill the chorus.

I know there are many players who feel the same, given the high number of new chorus pedals on the market.

What is your opinion?

If you are planning to say all pedals suck, don't bother sounding off here. This thread is not for you. But of you're a pedal aficionado, by all means, share your views.

2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I love pedals, but in my case their main functions are to:

1) help me duplicate the effects that were around for '50's - early '70's music ( R&R, blues, old Country),
    which would be Reverb and Tremolo
    (if whatever amp I use doesn't already have them), fuzz, Slapback echo ( not so much the ambient delay you hear in later rock) and a Leslie/rotating speaker effect ( for me just one generic fast setting)

2) use of OD/Distortion pedals that ( broadly) can make my clean little amps, sound like cranked amps ( be they Fender/Marshall/ Vox sounds) at really low to moderate volume.

I do small gigs, but shoot for still having the right amp sounds for the songs.

But Chorus sound is just not in the mix for the kinds of really old music I play.
    It wasn't there to begin with, so no need.

TwoBear likes this.
  3. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I was a chorus guy for years and I still love them but I’m more of a lite flange guy now? Also the older I get the more I like fuzz?????

Collin D Plonker likes this.
  4. superjam144

superjam144 Tele-Afflicted

usable sounds my man... we need da usable sounds!

chorus is like 2 people singing at once, or a 12 string guitar in a box.

highly usable, sounds amazing. I've heard great things about boss super chorus, but I still just use an electric mistress, which seems to get the job done...

I wish I didn't need pedals.. but I do for looping, and soloing with gain, and wah wahing, and modulation every once in a while for fun.

I use the budget friendly blues junior, dialed in for high bass, with some reverb and a pinch of delay, (another pedal I RELY ON!), and damn I'm in heaven...

My tech recently advised me about tube quality, and we put some good ones in there... I am so tempted to throw my pedal board in a closet, but I am just not ready yet..

The simplicity of a tube amp and a tele is really sublime... Unfortunately I caught the pedal bug, and they really do add to your tone. That pinch of delay is really game changing.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Dismalhead likes this.
  5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

A little goes a long way

6. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've always hated chorus, still do.

Dan R, Telenator and Dismalhead like this.
  7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Reported.

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

tattle tale

Dismalhead and smoothrecluse like this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big chorus fan too. My normal "fat" lead tone is a distortion pedal with a touch of chorus.

And sometimes, when I'm alone, I'll go to position 4 on my Strat and turn on the chorus and play '80s-like cheesy cleans, like on Big Log by Robert Plant. Just kidding - I do it in front of other people too.

10. highwayjones

highwayjones TDPRI Member

Life is too short and you have to decide that "you like what YOU like". Lots of great albums with chorus made it out OK...My favorites include Bryan Adams' "Reckless", The Outfield's "Play Deep", Big Head Todd and the Monsters, "Sister Sweetly". My obsession started with Sponge's "Rotting Pinata" and then "Rotting Alive" 20 years later.

[

11. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

Lovechorus. Use it sparingly. But gimme that mike stern effect. I know he uses two amps.

GibbyTwin likes this.
  12. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Holic

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I like chorus too. I have a Small Clone I've been using since early 80s. Nowadays I mainly use it to simulate 12 string chording or to do stuff like emulate the lead sound in The Birds And The Bees (Jewel Akens) when we do that song.
    Lots of textures in a chorus if you experiment.

Dismalhead likes this.
  13. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Older guys tend to like fuzz, chances are, most guys under 40 have never seen fuzz.

Dismalhead likes this.
  14. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

I've never cared for chorus pedals, but give me a jazz chorus amp, and I'm in chorus heaven- hands down, to my ears, the best, silkiest, lushest chorus in the wild or in captivity!:)

DeepDangler and Dismalhead like this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Whoa. Careful there.

39martind18 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  16. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I have never wanted chorus, but my best friend and guitar mentor loves it, so as a tool to make music ... be creative with it.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I used to use it all the time, not so much these days. I used to use it with distorted guitar, clean guitar, you name it.

Dismalhead likes this.
  18. NWinther

NWinther Friend of Leo's

Always used chorus in some way...sometimes I don't...and other times it is on.....
    Use it to get some spatial air...or to get a slight detune/shimmer.....or just more conventional sounds....

19. hmemerson

hmemerson Tele-Meister Vendor Member

Hi Colin,
    I like many effects, but only in moderation. If I'm hearing the effect more than I'm hearing the music, it's too much.

As far as chorus goes: I never owned a chorus pedal that I can recall, but I regularly use the minimum chorus setting on my Fishman Loudbox Performer. Here's a track called Rumble Strut from my 4th CD, The Wall Talks. We mic'd the Loudbox and took some pre-eq outs for extra measure. Minimal chorus & delay on the amp. It's my Flammang L-40 maple & red spruce.

20. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

IME light use of chorus is ideal for fattening up your guitar’s tone. Especially in a three piece band. In it’s stronger settings and effect I find it a must for covers like Purple Rain or Don’t Dream It’s Over by Crowded House. So basically 80’s covers will require some chorus and flange.

BB and Collin D Plonker like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.