So, Fender at long last is making the CuNiFe WRHB again ...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Rev Hoodoo, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

I'd expected to see some mention around here about that. Seems they worked out a deal with a foundry to make the material once again and are installing the pickups in some of the new models shown at NAMM. Heard a few demos and they seem to have it nailed pretty well. I expect if the prices are anywhere near reasonable that they'll sell a lot of these as upgrades. I expect a lot of folks will complain about the price of the upper end USA made models that use the pickup. And there's bound to be confusion as I'm sure they continue to use the models that don't use CuNiFe in less expensive guitars. But overall seems like a good move if as their video demos claim they have exclusive distribution rights to the material.

2. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

Thanks, I admit my search was cursory.

assquatch20 and That Cal Webway like this.
  3. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Pls,
    No cursory words on the forum!

;)

4. assquatch20

assquatch20 TDPRI Member

No worries. It's a rather big deal to have CuNiFe back so I understand everyone's excitement.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  5. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

Wow, if this is right, wow .....

6. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

The return of...wait for it... unobtanium.

7. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

Thank you. Somebody had to say it.

8. Rev Hoodoo

Rev Hoodoo TDPRI Member

What's striking to me is that this must not have been a priority for Fender for all these years. I mean, if all it took was finding a foundry to make it I've gotta believe it could easily have been done sooner by them. Might not be feasible financially for smaller, boutique pickup builders. But seems Fender could have ponied up a long time ago. But Fender is a big business and if they thought they could get away selling the look instead of the actual sound it makes sense that they waited this long. I keep wondering if there is a gotcha somewhere as I would have expected the to make a much bigger deal of this. I like the demos I've heard of the American Original 70's with this pickup in it. They claim that Shaw designed the bridge pickup to compliment it. Seemed to be real balanced sounding. Time will tell.

9. Cicada Nation

Cicada Nation Tele-Meister

Do we know if they are constructing it correctly yet? Is it possible they are just substituting the material and leaving the construction the half-assed way they’ve been doing it?

EDIT: got my question answered in another thread. The pole pieces are the magnets. No more bar magnet.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Clifton C likes this.
  10. assquatch20

assquatch20 TDPRI Member

I've got one of the modern ones, a neck model, in the bridge of a partscaster and I like it alright. No idea if it's ceramic or not. I was kinda hoping they were doing both these new pickups in CuNiFe but I'm sure it probably sounds alright regardless.

This is a bit like Gibson's Firebird pickup. They're all ceramic now and a lot of purists seem to prefer the AlNiCo and so go aftermarket.

11. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Telenator(member here) was making and marketing CuNiFe WRHB's for quite sometime until his supply of the material was depleted.

Seems Fender would have shut him down if they were the only ones legally to use the CuNiFe in WRHB format.

I was around for the initial wave of WRHB's. I wasn't overly impressed. But, some people liked them due to being in a tele configuration.

They were quiet, not really a single coil sound or a true humbucker sound either. Somewhere inbetween.

Now that the WRHB has reached legend status and they can get around $2000 for a Tele Custom. They decided to recreate and market a new offering.

Somebody will buy it.

s76fitz and Lefty Addams like this.
  12. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

I'm probably that somebody. I love that sound partway between a single coil and a humbucker, but I just can't justify the money for a 70's era one and don't really think the current ones capture the sound.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.