So Dua Lipa introduces Elton John to a whole new generation but am I the only one...

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
I hate autotune. As an effect, it was interesting for 5 minutes before it became stupid and annoying.

Autotune used as "pitch correction" is a whole other deal, and it's terrible for music. Good singers gravitate towards just-intoned notes whenever the arrangement allows, ...
I agree, and more. You may be saying the same thing: there are good (and even great) notes like a neutral third or other in-between notes that talented singers hit intentionally or slide around on. Autotune just removes all that nuance, and even the possibility of it! Terrible, terrible.

And I agree that as an effect it's been around long enough that it's just plain annoying. Hopefully people tire of it and soon.

Last edited:

maxvintage

Poster Extraordinaire
Err, so you know this song was constructed with the master tracks of the original songs, which were at least 30 years old, so NO Elton didn't need Autotune for the recording.

Ok. I'm not really outraged though. I'll work on it. Note: Sir Elton does not seem to care

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
...who's annoyed that they autotuned Elton's voice?

I mean, come on, the guy has a wonderful singing voice.

Not necessarily. I watched a special one night where he was singing just with his piano, and to put it mildly, it was painful.

BerkshireDuncan

Tele-Holic
Dua Lipa is massive over here- and the song's a hit in the UK.. but I'd assumed it was a cut 'n' paste job.
The Queen's Jubilee concert was recently on UK TV.. his voice was not great.

Cam

Friend of Leo's
Snowshovelville Ehberta Great White North
Autotune makes me cringe. I tune out the music when I can detect it on vocals. (seems harder to notice these days, what did you say?) To quote Anne Murray there about: "That's Cheating". I love a real note that is just on the edge. (O F grumping on the couch!)

Last edited:

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
We had this discussion a while back already, haha. I’m fine with autotune here because it’s being used as an effect clearly, in an electronic dance track.

What I’m not good with is the interpolation/re-use of old themes unless it’s pretty old or somewhat transformative (like idk, “all by myself” using Rachmaninov). In this song it just feels like the same cheap shot as a modern movie remake that didn’t need to get made, like inspector gadget or something like that. It reminds me of that Beyoncé song from a while back that threw in an interpolation of “Tarzan Boy” for absolutely no reason.

Last edited:

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
I'm really hoping this autotune thing will fall out of favor soon, like other stylistic things (e.g. strings in pop/rock tunes in the late1970s). There are plenty of people that can sing well enough without it, based on local recitals my kids were in, etc.

autotune will fall out of favor right after the automatic rifle.

naneek

Tele-Meister
I think a lot of people don't realize that when you "hear" (that is, recognize) autotune, it's being used intentionally and obviously as an effect and not as an attempt to make it sound like someone who can't sing can.

Autotune is sort of like quantizing in that the way it's "meant" to be used is to touch up a little spot on something that's otherwise fine, and ideally no one even knows it's there.
believe me, I can still hear it even when I'm not "supposed" to hear it in the mix.
autotune and celemony melodyne are probably the primary tools for "performance correction," and I can still hear the difference in pitch corrected notes.

naneek

Tele-Meister
Here's another concern- a generation is now growing up hearing and listening to mostly autotuned vocals. Now people are starting to sing like the autotuned stars they listened to.

I do not enjoy this style of vocal performance.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Oh the humanity of it all! Finally, anyone who can stand in front of a microphone can be made to sound at least passible when singing. You want only the people who can actually sing to be out in front? Ohhhhhh the HUMANITY of it all.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
believe me, I can still hear it even when I'm not "supposed" to hear it in the mix.
autotune and celemony melodyne are probably the primary tools for "performance correction," and I can still hear the difference in pitch corrected notes.

I agree. There was a singer/songwriter type the other day on Colbert who did a pre-recorded number, just like a poppy piano jam, no electronics, and it was just like the vocal equivalent of Botox. It was subtle but it was so noticeable/jarring to me. And no one I was watching it with (albeit laypeople) could hear it, I guess they’re just so used to it.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
So, in short, I really AM the only annoyed with Elton's autotuned voice.

Good, now let's move on.
Two things. I don’t think it surprises anyone here since there have been discussions about his voice as he ages. Secondly, it is an animated POS, so who cares?