1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

So does anybody here make tubes?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Nightatthehotel, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Nightatthehotel

Nightatthehotel Tele-Holic

I'm just curious because that would be pretty cool if anyone had experience with this! I know a lot of you make amps, but does anyone actually make tubes here?

If so please post pics of building process or of tubes you have made!

2. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

You are not going to find many people in the world doing it.

3. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I make mine by hand using only Organic, Range-Fed, Carcinogenics.

4. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

There are actually a few brave experimenters who do make (mostly) triodes here and there. The obstacles are daunting. These are not production tubes...just technical curiosities.

There are a few folks out in California who work for a company there (name escapes me) who still make tubes - mostly magnetrons, though.

To my knowledge, there is no organized US production of power pentodes, octal based rectifier tubes, or other octal and nine pin receiving tubes, unless it is some super-secret US military effort.

WhenI was in The Czech Republic a little more than a decade ago, I met some folks who worked in the Czech vacuum tube industry. They were nice folk.

There are still several thousand folks in China and in Russia who make tubes every day for a living, shuch as the folks at Shugang, here: http://www.shuguangelec.com/en/honor.asp

They produce millions of tubes each year, possibly tens of millions. No doubt employing thousands of workers in the process.

Cheers

5. Queenslander

Queenslander TDPRI Member

The tooling is too complex.

6. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

The only tubes being made in California are microwave tubes like TWTs, klystrons and switch tubes. There are 3 companies making them. No audio tubes.

7. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I want a Klystron/Magnetron amp. Nuke the first row !

8. Nightatthehotel

Thanks for the responses y'all. That's what I expected and the first poster thanks for the video that was pretty neat!

9. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta Tele-Afflicted

Cool video.

10. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I worked for Sylvania Electronics while attending college from '68-'71.

I designed heater elements for a few vacuum tubes, but these were for use in radio broadcasting and microwave ovens. By the time I got into the field all the classic audio tube designs were well established.

Being a musician, I spent quite a few breaks reading the New Products Department's RCA Tube Manual. Good thing I moved on, because I was involved in designing a lot of incandescent light filaments as well. With the recent changes in light bulb technology I probably would have been forced to retire early.:lol:

11. Nightatthehotel

That's actually really cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.