1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Snowmageddon

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by geoff_in_nc, Feb 13, 2014.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

4" of snow can cause total chaos if you don't have any equipment to remove snow.

Please don't turn this next statement into politics (I'm not trying to be political).....if I lived in a climate that generally had no snow I wouldn't want tax dollars to go to road plows and sidewalk snow throwers and salt trucks and the salt inventory and extra dump trucks to remove the snow that can't be pushed to a safe place by a plow and then you need front end loaders to lift the snow into those dump trucks.

I can't even imagine what the budget is manage snow in Milwaukee. I personally know tree removal guys and landscaping guys who mount really nice plows on big trucks and they each do 30 or 40 long rural driveways every time that it snows. It's all cash economy. Guys are making 8 times their mortgage just pushing snow.

Managing snow costs a lot of money. I wouldn't want to invest in snow removal equipment if I lived in South Carolina. Yikes. I hope it warms up very soon and all this will melt. In the mean time stay home and watch movies. Grab a beer a nice blanket and watch a long movie. It helps.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Couldn't believe so many people could be so oblivious to the meaning of what had happened in Atlanta on seems like just the other day. The most logical explanation is, people are really drones; they just don't know it. :(

I saw this system building, really almost stayed in NOLA and resigned to being away from my sweetie on Valentine's Day.

Instead first thing Monday, I chose a route and busted a move for the Cabin in extreme Western North Carolina. Then, sadly had to get up the next dawn and find a way back over the mountain to Johnson City and from there up the interior corridor (I-81) to the DC area. About 9 hours' (600 miles) driving each day, but there was no way I could lollygag getting up here - the analysis was I thought pretty cut and dried. Kinda mystified that so many people all across NC got caught out. Maybe the folks in Katrina Town (New Orleans) are not that different in their cluelessness as I like to claim. :neutral:

3. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

My head office is in the DC area and they shut the office down before it opened this morning- they are supposed to get 12-18" in Howard County, Maryland- DC is tough enough to drive around under normal conditions...

4. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

DOT in the South = Dude on a tractor.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

I wish people could just realize that in some places, snow means "we're done for a couple of days" and catch it up on the flipside and just be cool about it.

It would all be over faster if everyone would just stay put for a few hours (like 40)

but, they have to go do stuff or so they think and... disaster... plus, lots of people like the catastrophe element...

6. jlrich

jlrich Tele-Afflicted

My daughter was stuck in it yesterday in Raleigh. Her normal 10 minute drive from school to home took her four hours.

7. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If you're not familiar with road conditions that snow & ice can cause, it can get real scary, real fast. Be safe out there.

8. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I just hope you guys offer my widow decent prices on my stuff after I have a heart attack and die from shoveling snow.

9. MojoMonster

MojoMonster Tele-Meister

It was almost a perfect storm.

First, it wasn't your typical fluffy snow so much as grainy ice.
    That was the first half hour between 12:30 and 1:00.

Second, everyone decided, all at once, to go home.
    So you've got about twice the number of people on the roads as during rush hour.

Third, it started freezing rain/sleeting. I estimate about 1/4" to 3/8" over the next couple of hours.

Now those things, in and of themselves, won't cause complete pandemonium.
    But add in inexperienced drivers, a DOT that under-salted and whose plows were apparently caught up in traffic, and very few cars with much beyond all-season tires and you've got traffic hell.

That car caught fire going up the hill from the Angus Barn, so odds are it was something in the engine compartment igniting.

Based on all of the video, the most common problem seemed to be the inability to go up hills successfully and the lack of understanding about tire traction and torque.

By 6 pm the situation was pretty much over. People had either abandoned their cars and walked home or driven carefully enough to avoid catastrophe.

This morning I was clearing the back deck and there was about 3" of snow underneath that 1/4"+ layer of ice.

Today, it sleeted a little bit, then it snowed another inch or two, and then it warmed up a bit just to get a nice water layer underneath everything.

Tonight that will all freeze.

Thankfully, the high tomorrow and into the weekend is in the mid 40's, so by Saturday it'll all be gone.

Raleigh weather.
    Just wait a bit and it'll go away.

10. jonsongz

jonsongz Tele-Meister

Coming from a place that is used to getting bashed with blizzards bringing 30-40 cm of snow combined with high winds, I do sympathize with people who don't live in climates that regularly experience extreme winter conditions. When you do get hit of course nobody is prepared.

Driving in these conditions, even with many years experience doing it, is always hazardous. Try it with vehicles that don't use snow tires and road crews that don't have the equipment to deal with snow and ice and it can get very hairy.

Stay safe southern neighbours, and take comfort in the fact that when mid-March arrives you will be safely into spring, while I and my brethren will still be keeping a weary eye on the local forecast for a late winter's blast of misery.

11. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

Unless we get a serious warm spell, there will be snow on the ground in NJ well into May.

12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

The Official Canadian Temperature Conversion Chart:

50 Fahrenheit (10 C)
    Californians shiver uncontrollably.
    Canadians plant gardens.

35 Fahrenheit (1.6 C)
    Italian Cars won't start
    Canadians drive with the windows down

32 Fahrenheit (0 C)
    American water freezes
    Canadian water gets thicker.

0 Fahrenheit (-17..9 C)
    New York City landlords finally turn on the heat.
    Canadians have the last cookout of the season.

-60 Fahrenheit (-51 C)
    Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
    Canadian Girl Guides sell cookies door-to-door.

-109.9 Fahrenheit (-78.5 C)
    Carbon dioxide freezes makes dry ice.
    Canadians pull down their earflaps.

-173 Fahrenheit (-114 C)
    Ethyl alcohol freezes.
    Canadians get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg

-459.67 Fahrenheit (-273.15 C)
    Absolute zero; all atomic motion stops.
    Canadians start saying "cold, eh?"

-500 Fahrenheit (-295 C)
    Hell freezes over.
    The Toronto Maple Leafs win the Stanley Cup

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I heard that. Driving to school today in the snow, going up a hill. 2 minivans maybe 50 meters in front of me. The first one starts to fishtail a bit and stops. Second one panics and stops. Halfway up the hill. Of course now they can't go forward because they've lost all momentum. I had to pass them in the oncoming lane or I'd still be there. They prolly ARE still there.

I don't think of myself as being some kind of winter driving master, but even I know that if you start up a hill in the snow, you better not stop....

14. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

Meh!
    Keep fishtailing and end up in the ditch.

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

:lol:
    Leafs fan here! And yes, that's about when they'll finally take it home!:lol:

16. Parsons

Parsons Tele-Meister

I moved here from WV and the snow we just got I drove in since I was 16 (only 22 now) but people down here freak out. My school has been canceled since tuesday. There wasn't even snow on the roads tuesday here. I have no problem getting around on the snow in my truck but it took my neighbor about 10 minutes to get the last 20 yards to his driveway. He kept backing up and mashing the gas and ended up just going about 5 feet and come to a stop spinning. Was great entertainment for me. I was getting dressed to go outside and ask if he wanted me to tow him into his drive way with my truck before he backed all the way up to the start of the road and floored the pedal and still just barely made it into the bottom of his 50 yard driveway. He decided that was close enough and walked the rest of the way.

17. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

It's the other people that scare me.

18. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

@parsons: would you mind sharing what he should have done to get into his driveway?

19. AndreDanican

AndreDanican Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

That photo is an out take from season one of 'The Walking Dead'.

20. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Lotta places if nothing moves for a couple days the snow doesn't, either. I think we have another foot with this storm on top of what was already on the ground. That may not go anywhere until April.

Lotta people don't realize how much we depend on trucks to constantly re-stock our cities. Of course the roads need to be passable for emergency services. Factor in the human inclination not to fill up on fuel oil until it's cold... not normally necessary in Atlanta. It really does become a perfect storm. People who don't have winter driving skills or even snow tires take to the roads when they run out of provisions. Multiple people without driving skills or snow tires end up in a big pile somewhere which strains emergency services. Park a fuel truck with a big pile- up between it and the little old lady whose heat is about to go off. A lot of things that work normally under normal circumstances overload and fail under abnormal circumstances, kinda like The Zombie Apocalypse only without zombies. :D

Besides, people enjoy drama. They don't sit around watchin' Lassie on the teevee. Simple formula, there. Things go pear shaped, the dog saves the day every time. Message: Everyone needs a dog. Except now the teevee is promoting umpteen flavors of Apocalypse, werewolves, zombies, vampires, serial killers, twisted genius meth chemists, falling asteroids, terrorists, mercenaries, thugs and gangstas of every stripe... if we don't have something real to cope with we just make something up. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.