Snow Throwers Ideas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by uriah1, Feb 5, 2015.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ok.. I think I gave up on battery powered ones...starting to look at gas. lol

So what about Toros and Hondas. Hard to find Hondas...Toros
    are everywhere...sounds like MTD makes everyone else with
    different names.

Also, If it says Igntion=electric and Starter=recoil, what does that mean?
    Sometimes I see igntition=recoil and starter=recoil??

What should you look for. I am thining 18 to 21...probably 18incher
    would work? I think I chute that you can point?

Thoughts, ideas?

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

have kids, that's what I did. The only fuel required is some hot chocolate

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I have an Ariens. Get the widest one you can afford and an equally large engine. Moving dense and light snow that has drifted overnight is just as hard to move as wet snow. Mine has an electric start via some cable that plugs into an outlet, but I only tried that once. It has popped over immediately. You want a two stage thrower and extra shear pins if you break them. Read about the model you are interested in on the net before you lay down the cash. You'd be surprised how much power it takes to throw and move it in really heavy snow.

You may want to consider buying it from a dealer rather than a home center. Two years from now when you want a simple part, they home center will be selling a different brand.

I get mine serviced every other year. In 5 years of use, I've replaced a friction disk and a couple shear pins. The only thing with mine is the chute cable freezes at this point... and I never remember to flow some oil down it when the weather is in the 30's .

I am glad I didn't go cheap on this purchase... I was out in 10 degrees for 1/2 hour today just making a path for the wife to drive out of.

Oh....and the electrically heated hand warmers aren't warm enough to keep your hands warm out there...:).

Buying a battery operated one....would be throwing your money away if you get snow like we do....

4. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

I have an old MTD 26" 2-stage machine that I bought used many years ago. Up until last night, I would have recommended it highly. I still would have to tell you to give them a look.

It has a Tecumseh 8hp engine which they don't make anymore. That's really too bad, that thing works like a champ. I've never had any trouble with it and I must have had it for at least 10 years now, probably more like 12. Last night it stopped going forward. A quick google said the was probably the bearings in the drive train seizing. The "quick" fix was to just lube it. It seemed to work, but I don't know what's going to happen long term. Lubing the drive train is never easy. It really stunk doing it at 10pm last night in my cold and wet garage.

Get a 2-stage. The single stage machines are practically useless. Buying one from mower/blower dealer is a very good suggestion.

5. guitarbuilder

Yeah but the overall cost is about a quarter million dollars per kid up to age 18 Y.O. according to 2013 statistics...LOL. That would buy a few snowblowers.

6. Jamie Black

Jamie Black Friend of Leo's

I used to have a smallish Toro, single stage, 18" I think. It was one of the lesser expensive gas throwers available from Toro. It worked quite well except when the show got to be excessively wet and heavy and above several inches. I'll never forget 2010 when we got our first December snow of about 12-14" of really wet, heavy show. The snow blower choked every couple of minutes but so were all the bigger ones.

If you go this route just know you'll be fine 96% of the time and the other 4% you'll be cursing yourself for not spending the extra dough to get a more powerful one.

7. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

Gas. Electric start. Big. The biggest you can afford. You will not regret it.

8. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Afflicted

I have a kid who comes with his truck/plow and does my driveway (60 yds) and my walk for 20 bucks - can justify the time to do it myself :lol:

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That one has electronic ignition and a pull rope to start.

Sometimes I see igntition=recoil and starter=recoil??

I think you mean starter - electric. Those have an electric starter, usually in addition to the rope starter. Usually they have to be plugged into an extension cord since there's no battery. Some may have a battery, but I'd guess that'd be more trouble than they're worth.

That's the width of the path it clears in one pass. Wider is better.

Mine's an old Toro CCR 2000. It's a single stage blower, and works great from 2 to 8 inches of snow on flat surfaces. Anywhere the drive is cracked and heaved it's a pain, but still easier than shoveling. It's cranky like any other two stroke, I have to tear down the carb every fall and clean it, but other than that it runs fine.

10. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

My main criteria was that I wanted one that I didn't have to mix oil and gas. I've had a Sears Craftsman model for about 10 years now and it has taken a beating. We probably get about the same amount of snow as the Toledo area.

Attached Files:

11. guitarbuilder

I'm guessing that you also get lake effect patterns off of Michigan and Erie. Consider that 2" of snow may not be worth your while to even start it up. While we had 2" of snow last night...the wind blew in 20" tall drifts across the farm field next door..... and it's like that most of the winter with wind and light snow. My driveway is about 100 ft long and that was one of the things that I had to consider in my purchase.

12. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Ariens. Get the biggest one you can afford. Best purchase I ever made.

And buy it from a dealer as opposed to Home Depot or Lowes. I've been told that the Ariens models in their stores aren't the same as the ones you can buy from a dealer, if you know what I mean.

13. uriah1

Yea, I hear that about big box stores vs small dealers...

14. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I have a Troy-Bilt (MTD), 26", two-stage, electric (and recoil) start, Tecumseh Snow King engine, that I bought from Lowe's for about $750.

I've had it for about 10 years and all I do is give it a clean, lubricate the cables and change the oil after all the snow is finished for the year. It still looks brand new.

There have been a couple of times that I wished I had a bit more power, but overall the machine has been terrific for my 50' of driveway and 150' of walkway.

[​IMG]

15. uriah1

Cleveland gets the Lake Effect..but, lately we have been getting the
    Chicago drift........but, yea, I do get drifting snow down on sidewalk

ps..Went camping in Keuka lake couple yrs ago..nice place over there!

16. guitarbuilder

One of the things I wish mine could do is go a bit faster in reverse......:) Keuka is nice... this whole area is nice...except for the snow...LOL.

17. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

KevinB's sounds like a newer version of mine. Mine has treads instead of wheels, but I don't think they are better than wheels. I have an electric starter on mine (you plug it in), but I have never used it. Whether paying for the starter is worth it, will depend on the engine. My Tecumseh starts on the first pull every time.

18. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Had a Craftsman for years. Piece of junk. The plastic parts that hold the cables (allowing tension on them so they actually work) broke the first time I used it. Had to replace the transmission once. $160. Tires wouldn't stay inflated because the weight wasn't distributed well from side to side, so one tire always got messed up. 24". Required 3 passes to clear a sidewalk.

This year, with our schedule changes, we bought a big Ariens because the wife wanted something she could make work (I could muscle the Craftsman, she couldn't). It actually takes me longer to do the driveway now because I spend a lot of time having to shift into forward and reverse, and the handles aren't as handy. And I get less exercise. Still, she likes it.

I'll second the 'get the biggest you can get' thing.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've shoveled a bunch just in the last week. Because while yeah I've produced two shovel-capable sons, they are only with me part of the time. I've found it to be very good exercise. Of course, some heart attack victims will tell you otherwise.

Anyway, I dunno. If you can't move the snow by hand, it may be a sign that your digs is too expansive, IMO

same thing goes for mowing lawns, in my perspective

YMMV

20. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

I have a MTD 8hp/24inch. Some days it struggles a bit with the heavy stuff at the end of the drive but always gets it done. I wouldn't want any smaller. If it ever dies I think I'll go to a 10hp.
    It has an electric start but you need to plug it in to a 115V receptical, no battery, it has always started first pull for 10 years now so I never use the electric start. I change the oil every year and have replaced the air filter once. I put fuel stabilizer in for summer storage that's it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.