Snow Blowers.......

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Sep 27, 2021.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I have to buy a snow blowers.

I want to spend around $1000.

Toro?
    Ariens
    Tecumseh?
    Craftsman?
    Ryobi has a series called EGO and they run on 56 volt battery - no gas - no oil. I have a battery powered Ryobi mower that I love but I don't think I could do battery and snow. Hmmmmm.

21"- 24' - 30"? - I'm thinking 24" Maybe Toro. I have a remarkable mom & pop Ace hardware about 10 blocks from the new house. They have a ton of inventory. Maybe I'll do this on my way home tonight.

Does anybody have an opinion? I could use some input on snow output. Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  2. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Move. That’s how I solved the problem.

:D

CharlieO, BobbyZ, tery and 9 others like this.
  3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Toro is good. Figure out if you need a single stage or two stage. I went from a 10hp 30" two stage ground shaker to a small, light single stage and after two Montana winters it still is great, YMMV. The two stage lasted 20 years so that's a high bar.

4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

A battery powered snow blower in Milwaukee?! Yikes. Is that like a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac?

5. Downeast

Downeast TDPRI Member

Simplicity or Ariens would be my vote.

6. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I had a small Toro here in Colorado for years. Never had an issue. Now I live in a patio home and the HOA does all the snow removal!!!

Andy B and studio1087 like this.
  7. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Friend of Leo's

I have an Ariens 5520 (5.5hp, 20 inch) that We inherited from my father in law. It has handled everything that a Rochester NY winter has thrown it's way. I would stick with a 2 stage blower. A couple of issues I could see with a battery powered one. Run time and not enough weight. (heavy is good for pushing through deep wet snow) I also help out the few neighbors that don't have snowblowers when we get a heavy snow storm and so I am usually running the snowblower a couple of hours. If you run out of gas it is quick to refil. You could invest in extra Batteries to overcome the runtime issue.

studio1087 likes this.
  8. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

When I saw the tittle I thought that the thread was gonna be about Eric Clapton or David Bowie

Slap Axe likes this.
  9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The original snow plow. About $40. Plus free excercise. 50B99F2E-B38B-4D40-8F6F-5B4AB8254E67.jpeg

10. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

A little old lady down the street from me put one out on the curb with a “free” sign on it because she’s paying someone to do her driveway and sidewalk now. After years of just shoveling my own drive, I snagged it since I’ve never owned one and I ain’t gettin any younger. I’ve used snowblowers, just never owned one myself.

It’s an older MTD Products model that says “made in USA” and looks to be in pretty good shape, has an electric start. A buddy that I play guitars with used to run a lawn care/snow removal company and he assures me he can get it going.

I figure if we can get it going, I’ll knock on her door some snowy day and offer to do her driveway and sidewalk for her. I’ll give her my number in case she’s ever in a pinch and the hired guys don’t show up or whatever. I realize this is of little to no help to you at all, I just wanted to tell a snowblower story.:D

11. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a Troy-Bilt 24" 2 stage, been using it for about 5 years with no issues.

getbent and studio1087 like this.
  12. Dirtsquirrel

Dirtsquirrel Tele-Meister

I got almost 20 years out of a Toro single stage with the rubber blade. Always liked how it cleaned right down to the surface. Have a compact Ariens 24 2 stage now which handles deep snow a little faster and throws further. If you are dealing with heavy wet snowfalls I would go bigger than either of these.

studio1087 likes this.
  13. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have had 2 stage and single stage near Chicago. Long driveway.
    2 stage takes a lot longer. I go with single stage these days.
    Toro's are good, but my current thrower is a Cub Cadet, which is kind of generic. I went with that because there was a dealer with service nearby, but they are gone. If I needed a replacement, I would go with Toro or Honda

14. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

"Gee, I wish I would have bought a smaller snow-blower..." said a Milwaukeeian NEVER! That's the only advice I can give. I have a 24" two-stage Craftsman which has served me well. It has electric start, but I only need to use it the first time I use the blower each season, after that it starts on the first or second pull, even when cold.

CharlieO, Tommy Biggs, duzie and 2 others like this.
  15. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

16. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

17. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Call Mr Plow

18. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm on my 3rd Ariens over the last 30 years. This last one has the track to dig in better. Occasionly #2 ( with the wheels and chains) would just spin in really heavy and wet snow.

All 3 have been easy to start. Many have an electric start, which means you plug into a heavy duty extension cord connected to your 110v outlet. I think I used that once on my second one. They fire up easily.

I buy these things based on the availability of replacement parts. There's a good chance a home center machine won't have the parts the next year because they dumped the line.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  19. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Wisdom. One of the reasons I would go Honda or Toro: they have a lot of dealers and service near me.

20. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

My first one was a used Ariens from the early 70s. It ran well and was built like a tank - until I let it run low on oil and it seized up. I went a couple of years without one, but I picked up a newer used Ariens last winter. It is fantastic. I think the two-stage snowblower is one of man’s greatest inventions.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.