Snitching?

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
well maybe I should move. :eek:
Please tell me where there are no drugs being sold, bodies being sold, or parents abusing their children? Tell me where should I move to?
I was thinking about homicides and what police department can do to reduce homicides.
No one likes high or rising homicide rates. Yes?😐
It came to my attention Homicide detectives can not make homicides not happen in that, the Detectives get involved after the homicide is committed.
images (3).jpg

Doctor of Teleocity
well maybe I should move. :eek:
Please tell me where there are no drugs being sold, bodies being sold, or parents abusing their children? Tell me where should I move to?
I was thinking about homicides and what police department can do to reduce homicides.
No one likes high or rising homicide rates. Yes?😐
It came to my attention Homicide detectives can not make homicides not happen in that, the Detectives get involved after the homicide is committed.
View attachment 965610
1B9EE230-2311-4BD4-94B7-D112D9DFBA50.jpeg

Alex_C

Tele-Afflicted
Reporting the crime is what I would do. I wouldn't post the specifics to FB, just a heads up that there are thieving scumbags on the street.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
i SAW A PROGRAM AND THE HEAD OF Israeli COUNTER TERRORISM stated that they were very very dependent on Palestinian informants in order to do his job, and yet hated the informants If the informants were informing on Israel and got caught they would be killed.
In the series , THE WIRE: Kima a narcotics/homicide detective states the Police are only as good as their Confidential Informants. Indicting that with out their C.I.s they wouldn't know anything, think about it.
edit black rose.jpg

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Is snitching always bad? I am confused.
I will try to make this quick. I have lived in the same house for over 20 years. It’s not necessarily a close neighborhood but we all do know each other. About a year and a half ago some new renters moved in a few houses down. Without going into specifics, it’s just safe to say they are undesirable neighbors. Obvious hard drug use. People sleeping in their cars on the street and what not.
This morning my wife found a Facebook post with still shots from a security camera showing our neighbor stealing an industrial work trailer. My wife asked me if she thought she should notify the victim that we know who took his trailer. I said yes absolutely. She contacted the victim he was very appreciative.
My wife forwarded the post to a few of our neighbors that we are close with. I was astonished when two of them responded that we need to mind our own business. I have lived near these people for years. If someone were to steal their property I would absolutely notify them.
I understand the no snitching philosophy. To some degree anyway. But in my mind a trailer is a tool. If you steal a man’s tool you are hurting his ability to support his family. It scares me that my neighbors would have this mentality.
Are we wrong? Is this how society has become. Where we will sit by and let people be victimized?
It's a bit of a double edged sword. When you contacted the victim there was no question it was the right thing to do.

When forwarding the post (after that fact) to others it could be seen as a P.S.A. so others can be mindful or it could be seen as gossip. Which it is would really depend on the delivery method.

Personally, I would rather know who I need to be wary of in hopes of avoiding being another victim.

Edit. I read more posts and don't think mentioning the theft to neighbors was delivered in a gossiping manner. As others mentioned I would just make a mental note that those neighbors don't really want help and then keep on keepin on.

Last edited:

joebloggs13

Tele-Afflicted
You absolutely did the right thing. Those people are the dregs of society, and the sooner you are rid of them, the better.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Snitching?? Are we in second grade? For heaven sakes. Someone committed a major crime! Reporting that to the police and reuniting the stolen goods with its owner is ABSOLUTELY MORAL. Period. NOT doing so would be utterly IMMORAL. WTH is the world coming to?

That Cal Webway

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I guess the last few years,
the Karen Franchise is really expanding and still has opportunities to buy into and manage the "new snitching."

Don't pass it up!

Intubator

Tele-Afflicted
Bawlmer, Merlin- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
I guess the last few years,
the Karen Franchise is really expanding and still has opportunities to buy into and manage the "new snitching."

Don't pass it up!

If criminals knew they would get caught comitting crimes by observers reporting them and as a society (as a whole) we collectively want fewer crimes, then as a society we have an obligation to report them. After all we make the laws by ecouraging law makers codify them, our laws reflect our ethics, morals and values of the society. It makes sense to me that one who is against the reporting of a crime is likely the criminal themself.

What or who is a "Karen"?

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
The two people who told you to mind your own business are idiots and cowards straight up. They will be the first to ask “does anyone have info on who stole our trailor? “ To which the answer “yes I do”, as I closed the door minding my own business. But then I would still give them the info to take the thieves off the streets if that does actually happen anymore. This is clear golden rule simplicity.

Fiesta Red

Poster Extraordinaire
The line between “snitch” and “informant” is thin and squiggly, but in my mind both are usually criminals who are trying to curry favor with law enforcement, prosecutors or corrections officers.

However, a concerned citizen reporting information that can help solve and/or prevent a crime is not a snitch.

For example, I had a thread months ago about reporting a suspicious person in my neighborhood, based on (1) my docile, cowardly dog freaking out when the suspicious individual was nearby and (2) the suspicious person’s behavior near homes in my neighborhood which contained young, attractive women.

A couple of individuals on this website stated that I was evil, mean, nasty (“and all kinds of terrible things” —thank you Arlo Guthrie) for hatefully labeling and reporting this poor innocent soul to the police, when all he was doing was walking down the street. They also labeled my dog as violent and uncontrolled.

**That went too far…not what they called me—I might possibly be a horrible person—but rather, them insulting my dog…don’t you dare insult my dog!
I digress…often…

We didn’t know if this creeper was a harmless Boo Radley or an evil Dennis Rader, but I didn’t want to wait for a BTK-type incident to occur and find out after the fact.

Anyway, reporting suspicious, or in the case of the OP, criminal activity (theft of the trailer) is not only a citizen’s right, but I would say it’s a citizen’s responsibility.

There are lines, of course…

Down the street from me, there is a large family that has five or six young males (late teens to early twenties) living in the household with their mom (and possibly aunt—I think a couple of these young men are cousins/nephews). I gathered that Dad died a few years ago. Several of the kids have cars, a couple have four-wheeler ATVs and all are athletic—playing football, basketball, etc.

The kids/family keep their cars, yard and house nice (dang near immaculate) and outside of having to slow down when driving past their driveway basketball games (so as to not run over an errant ball or participant), they’ve never been an issue or a problem.

The kids have friends that come over, and they’re all polite and cool and neighborly. I’ve helped them retrieve their small dogs when they’ve gotten out, and they’ve returned the favor with my smaller dog as well (we both have Silky/Yorkie Terriers). They’ve helped the elderly neighbors nearby with occasional tasks, such as winterizing/wrapping the outside faucets before a freeze, etc.

They’re good neighbors.

They’re respectful to the ladies in my neighborhood—including my daughter and the other teen girls that live nearby. They’ve never given me any reason to be suspicious or worried about them.

However, around three years ago, the adult (40’s) brother of the matriarch of this household moved in with them.
The house started looking shabby.
The lawn was no longer mowed.
There were parties on weekdays(!) that lasted as late as 4:00AM (seriously—on a couple of occasions I was getting out of bed to go to work and the party was still rocking).
The brother/uncle/whatever’s friends were unsavory in their speech and behavior.
There was a lot of weed being smoked (I could smell it two doors away) and even more booze being drank/drunk(?), and just general chaos on our street, which wasn’t there before.
Empty beer and liquor bottles were left all over the lawn and porch.

I ignored the first ten parties. Between my hearing loss, some good windows and some ear plugs, I couldn’t hear them anyway. Plus, when I could hear it, he played some good music.

Miss Eileen (the octogenarian widow whose house was between ours) said she was not disturbed by them, so I blew it off.

I was friendly, and waved and spoke regularly to them in their native tongue (I speak Spanish—poorly—in the Tex-Mex Construction Site Dialect). He was new to the area, so I even told him a couple of bands to check out.

But they were quickly progressing from good neighbors to bad neighbors to terrible neighbors. I noticed the matriarch/sister was more stressed and less friendly and the kids were becoming insolent and slightly aggressive.

I ignored the next ten parties.
I continued to be polite, and even helped the guy work on his car by loaning him a set of jack stands so the car jack wouldn’t collapse and kill him (he returned them…covered in grease…but at least he returned them).

But when I found out the guy and his friends were being vulgar and rude to Miss Eileen and Miss Janie, the septuagenarian widow across the street, enough was enough.

I politely asked him to keep the music down after a particularly loud and late evening/night. He got miffed and told me to mind my own business.
I left Miss Eileen and Miss Janie out of it, but reiterated that he was disturbing more than just me, and it was becoming an issue. He then told me to “____ off.”

I smiled and told him to have a nice day…somehow this made him angry.

Mysteriously, the city’s code and compliance officer visited him multiple times in the next few weeks, and the police invited themselves to his next three parties and busted them for pot possession and disturbing the peace (three times!).

I hadn’t called either of them, but around that same time, my uncle-in-law got to know some of the people down at city hall and the police department, and said they were really nice.

What a strange coincidence. My uncle-in-law lives in the next town over. I guess he just got interested in city politics and law enforcement in my neck of the woods.

Anyway, brother/uncle was either kicked out by his sister or sent to jail or just moved out due to the harassment, but one day he was up and gone.

The house and yard has returned to normal, the matriarch and the kids are friendlier and everyone seems happy. Miss Eileen and Miss Janie seem less stressed.

It’s weird how things like that work out.

Last edited:

Dismalhead

Poster Extraordinaire
I work at a high school as a special ed. teacher. A while back I caught 3 kids vandalizing one of the bathrooms and one of them had the gall to say I was "snitching on them" when I went to their teacher. Dude, I'm not snitching, I'm one of the cops.

Spox

Tele-Meister
A couple of weeks ago we had a family gathering and whilst my aunt was driving her brother home her other brother and his wife stayed at her place. They are in their 70s and 80s and phoned my mum to ask me to go around as a couple of guys were trying to actually get into the house via the front door. They were from the topfloor flat which is being sublet and sometimes used by a sex worker, all of their rubbish is thrown out of the window into the front garden etc. I went around but they had already gone. When the neighbours got together to report the tenants to the letting agent he accused them of refusing to adapt to other peoples culture.