Snitching?

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
I probably wouldn't post this kind of thing on facebook... maybe that's why you got a bit of a weird reaction? I'm sure they are more than aware of the type of person this is and would rather they were not living down the road too.

Notify the police and the guy who's trailer it was, sure.. but what you you want your neighbours to do about it? Maybe they just didn't understand why you were getting them involved as it were? It might have come across as a bit gossipy.

I'm not saying that is the case, just trying to understand why they reacted the way they did.

jimmywrangles

Tele-Holic
Waking up to find out you've had stuff stolen is a terrible thing, you did the right thing because doing nothing is not an option for a good person.
You made a hardworking persons day better because he'll get his stuff back.
As for the thief, when he decided to steal he chose the consequences, don't worry about it.
As for the neighbours...in future don't tell them what you're doing or what you've done and you won't have any issues.
Don't lose sleep over this, you did the right thing.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Perhaps you don't know your neighbors as well as you think you do.

Please consider this. No Facebook. No problem. It wasn't your property that was stolen.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Holic
It ain't snitching as far as I'm concerned.
It's active citizenship and to an extent self protection because if they're not stopped you could be next.

Caveat: In these days of keyboard warriors and petty vengeance, I'd go that extra 10 yards of self protection and ensure anonymity throughout the reporting process.
There's bent folks, cops and 'victims' out there.
Use a vpn and junk email or burner sim for this kind of stuff.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’m glad I don’t live in your neighborhood!
Just kidding. I think you did what a good man would do! We had renters living two doors down a few years back, and they were a pain in the back side.

I heard the clang of horseshoes all day. They set off firecrackers no matter what time of year it was. Every time the wind blew strong enough, their trash ended up in our backyard. I got so sick of it that, I collected all their trash, and after dark, I took it back down and threw it in their yard.

They were known druggies too. The wife tried to hang herself on a second story porch. A year later, the rope was still hanging there. You get the picture.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
If the OPs neighbors come complaining if a loose dog bites them or they have something stolen in the future I'd reply with a quick"not my bidness".

Wound_Up

Tele-Holic
Is snitching always bad? I am confused.
I will try to make this quick. I have lived in the same house for over 20 years. It’s not necessarily a close neighborhood but we all do know each other. About a year and a half ago some new renters moved in a few houses down. Without going into specifics, it’s just safe to say they are undesirable neighbors. Obvious hard drug use. People sleeping in their cars on the street and what not.
This morning my wife found a Facebook post with still shots from a security camera showing our neighbor stealing an industrial work trailer. My wife asked me if she thought she should notify the victim that we know who took his trailer. I said yes absolutely. She contacted the victim he was very appreciative.
My wife forwarded the post to a few of our neighbors that we are close with. I was astonished when two of them responded that we need to mind our own business. I have lived near these people for years. If someone were to steal their property I would absolutely notify them.
I understand the no snitching philosophy. To some degree anyway. But in my mind a trailer is a tool. If you steal a man’s tool you are hurting his ability to support his family. It scares me that my neighbors would have this mentality.
Are we wrong? Is this how society has become. Where we will sit by and let people be victimized?
No you aren't wrong. F*** those sorry mfers.

I called the cops on my crackhead neighbors and his friends all the time. One of em did 3 years in jail because he was selling cocaine and they stopped him one night. Well, they tried to stop him. He ran. Got 11 different charges and spent 3 years in jail over it.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

ping-ping-clicka

Poster Extraordinaire
RAISED, NOT TO BE A TATTLE TAIL," NOBODY LIKES A TATTLE TAIL."
BEING A WITNESS IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD IS A PROSCRIBED ACTIVITY.

I did report my neighbor for child abuse, stating what I had seen and heard,
nobody wants kids entered into the system. One day a couple of social worker showed up and visited the family of three, Things have really changed since then, for the better.

Around the corner a long time ago there was a house that had a lot of traffic, The guys that live there were sorta distant and never gave me any problems. I used to walk by their house on my way to p.t. and made a detailed survey of the cracks in the sidewalk ,the trees across the street . I minded my business. One afternoon a gazillion cops, of a bunch of different flavors showed up and the cops had the guys sitting separated out of doors on the grass talking to them , they had their hands restrained behind their backs that was the last time that I saw ever them.
Yes,... Crack, Cocaine ,Heroin, and speed are ravaging the city that I live in , if I wanted a job as a narcotics detective I'd apply for the job. I am a regular at A.A. and N.A. meetings, If I a casual observe me, can figure out what time it is , I'm sure the war on drugs
already knows what time it is.
DO I CARE IF ONE PERSON IS PAID FOR SEX WITH ANOTHER PERSON, NO, IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS. I just don't shop there.

images (2).jpg

Greg70

Tele-Holic
A contractor that I work with was telling about one of his trailers getting stolen a few years ago. It had specialized concrete floor resurfacing equipment in it. One piece of equipment cost him $50k and he had just bought it. It set his business back by at least a year because he couldn't complete several jobs that he already had contracts on. He couldn't understand what a thief would do with the stuff in his trailer because it's pretty much useless to anyone else.

I had someone smash out my car window on Christmas Eve in our church parking lot while we were attending a service. They stole my wife's purse. We normally take valuables with us but we had arrived late and in the rush she left it in the car. The thieves got about 80 bucks worth of gift cards and cash that were in Christmas cards for our daughters, a family heirloom Louis Vuitton wallet, and a Doone and Burke purse. In return, my wife and I had to spend our entire Christmas Eve on the phone with credit card companies, banks, and the police. We got to drive home from church in the winter time without a window. We had to remotely brick her iPhone. She lost irreplaceable baby pictures of her daughters. She had to go to the DMV and get a new driver's license. We had to replace her phone and phone case. We had to wait for new credit cards. We had to get identity theft monitoring. I had to take a day off work and spend about $260 to replace the window on my car. She had theft insurance on the phone but other than that, none of it met our deductibles and we had to cover it all out of pocket. All of that loss to our family so that a thief could get a half-ass designer purse and steal Christmas money from a couple of kids.

I f***king hate thieves! There's a reason that horse thieves got the noose in the old West.

You did good!

KyAnne

Tele-Afflicted
I had a cop tell me that the majority of crime wouldn't be solved if it weren't for snitches, but in the same breath he added "ain't nuthin'" worse than a snitch. If he'll snitch on you, he'll snitch on me. Strange bedfellows indeed.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
It used to be your moral responsibility to report items like this. I was afraid to really get into a lot of trouble because I knew the neighbors knew my Mom and Dad and would not think twice to tell them if I was doing anything shady.
Today's society is not the same, most people don't even know their neighbors and don't have any interaction with them.
That quote "the only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing" used to hang on my cubicle wall.
One day my next door neighbor's daughter who was staying with her Mom had her no good boyfriend show up. He was yelling loud enough that I could hear them in my living room. Soon the fight moved to the front yard at which time I started messing around in my garage. Then I heard the smack, the boy hit the girl across the face and she fell down in the front yard while Mom came off the porch and started yelling at the boy to leave the girl alone. The boy threatened the Mom and then kicked the girl in the stomach as I came out of the garage. The boy looked at me straight on to see what I was going to do. I can't imagine what would have happened if I had not continued walking straight at him with a large piece of wood in my hand that I forgot to leave in the garage.
I walked straight at him and did not say a word. The kid told me to mind my own business and go back into the house. I kept walking (I could see he was not carrying a gun and I figured if he had a knife I was at the advantage with my four foot two by four) straight at him. He started backing up toward his car as I got closer still yelling at me and the girl.
Unknown to me my wife was calling the cops as she had heard the screams as well.
I helped the girl up who was probably four months pregnant and without turning my back on the dude helped her back to her mother. Her mom grabbed her and ushered her into the house and I just stood on the porch and stared at the kid who was standing at his car. He yelled at me, called the girl all sorts of names but did not leave. I just stood my ground and waited for him to leave. Finally he got in his car and pulled away probably not fifteen seconds before the cops arrived. I was coming out of my garage after putting away the 2x4 when the cops came walking up and asking what had happened.
They took a statement from the mother and the daughter and then left. The boy showed up again the next day and was arrested in their front yard.

Most criminals are cowards, lazy and look for the easy way out in most situations. I do think we need to be smart and not take unnecessary risks but we need to speak up when needed.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
Snitching??? I don't think that's the right word for it.

I'm sure you would like to run those renters out of your neighborhood, I wouldn't want them in mine. They'll be stealing something from you next, or maybe worse.

When somebody is behaving in a way that is harmful to other people, whether they are letting their big dogs run loose in the neighborhood, exposing themselves, passing out drunk in their car in the driveway, abusing their wives and or kids and or husbands, stealing stuff, vandalizing or damaging property etc etc etc, and you are aware of it I don't think it's 'snitching', reporting it is kind of your civic duty, unless you don't care about the place you live. Even more so is it not snitching if it's in your own neighborhood. All rationalization about "considering trailers to be tools" aside, what if the dude ripped off your TV set or your guitars or your wife's jewelry, or even your trash cans It's all the same. Why would you want to enable that scumbag thief to be stealing from his neighbors. #!!! that guy.

I would have simply called the police, I don't know that I'd tell everyone in the neighborhood about it or tell everyone that I knew who stole the trailer, or that I called the police, I would have simply called them and given them all the information I had, and asked the wife to be discreet as well, if I actually had to ask her.

My silence wouldn't be motivated by fearing that my neighbors would tell me I should mind my own business, but simply due to the fact that common sense would dictate that discretion and self-protection would be wise. You never know, that dude might torch your house or slash your tires, or beat you up or shoot you or poison your dog or whatever in retribution, when it gets back to him. I wouldn't be forwarding stuff around via the emails and social media about it either probably.

Reporting crimes that occur in your neighborhood is a good thing. Joining your neighborhood watch, or starting one is even better.
Passing out drunk in the driveway is wrong? 😳😉

billy logan

Tele-Afflicted
My neighbors, renters, had metal lower kitchen cabinets in the house, built in like 1910. "Knob and tube" era wiring.

You could get an electric shock if you accidentally touched the wrong surfaces. Strangely the shock wasn't as alarming as a "firm handshake with the electric co.," but everyone was aware of it.

When the owner, a real estate agent, put the house up for sale I snitched. I told prospective buyers about the situation. That displeased the owner/real estate agent. Ha.

But I wasn't going to let home buyers maybe die if the stray electricity decided to get stronger.

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
No snitching? Are you now living in a Sopranos episode?

Another vote here that you did what is right.

I'd wait a few days and send notes to the ones who want you to mind your own business. I'd tell them since they wanted you to mind your business that they don't want to hear about the guys that walked up the driveway and walked away with some stuff the other night?

Mind you, I admit I am not a nice guy.