Snitching?

Toadtele

Friend of Leo's
Is snitching always bad? I am confused.
I will try to make this quick. I have lived in the same house for over 20 years. It’s not necessarily a close neighborhood but we all do know each other. About a year and a half ago some new renters moved in a few houses down. Without going into specifics, it’s just safe to say they are undesirable neighbors. Obvious hard drug use. People sleeping in their cars on the street and what not.
This morning my wife found a Facebook post with still shots from a security camera showing our neighbor stealing an industrial work trailer. My wife asked me if she thought she should notify the victim that we know who took his trailer. I said yes absolutely. She contacted the victim he was very appreciative.
My wife forwarded the post to a few of our neighbors that we are close with. I was astonished when two of them responded that we need to mind our own business. I have lived near these people for years. If someone were to steal their property I would absolutely notify them.
I understand the no snitching philosophy. To some degree anyway. But in my mind a trailer is a tool. If you steal a man’s tool you are hurting his ability to support his family. It scares me that my neighbors would have this mentality.
Are we wrong? Is this how society has become. Where we will sit by and let people be victimized?

0SubSeanik0

Tele-Meister
I don't think the admonishment from your neighbors is about the snitching, it's about the surveillance... of course, the tune will change when their stuff gets ripped off or damaged. Mostly, it's about people not wanting to get involved.

Maybe the happy medium is to continue looking out for each other (because that's the neighborly thing to do), but don't spread the word of any malfeasance too widely... keep it between the parties who are directly affected.

ale.istotle

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Most people appreciate the heads up. Some do not want to get involved. You found two who don't want to get involved.
The whole idea of snitching being bad is propagated by people who want to get away with stuff. For major theft, snitch away. It's material and there is a victim. For the small stuff that hurts no one, myob.

tery

Doctor of Teleocity
I'd go over there and confront the scum in person face to face.

1648054590950.png

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
Yeah you did right.

The neighbors who said you should mind your own business will be the first knocking on your door asking to look at the tapes when something of theirs goes missing.

Neighbors need to look our for each other and having undesirable neighbors is a bad thing. Typically if you are seeing this type of behavior in the yard and street there is even worse going on behind closed doors. I would even go so far to send the footage to the police station with a report of the theft and the activity going on around there. A few visits by the Police will either have them relocating or moving their parties elsewhere.

gimmeatele

Friend of Leo's
All i can say is that while I was with the police you would have been amazed at how many known criminals were used as paid informants, how some of the people they informed on never clicked on to why their best laid plans always got them arrested, I will never know.
I knew of one wife informing on her husband! Still bothered about snitching?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Is snitching always bad? I am confused.
I will try to make this quick. I have lived in the same house for over 20 years. It’s not necessarily a close neighborhood but we all do know each other. About a year and a half ago some new renters moved in a few houses down. Without going into specifics, it’s just safe to say they are undesirable neighbors. Obvious hard drug use. People sleeping in their cars on the street and what not.
This morning my wife found a Facebook post with still shots from a security camera showing our neighbor stealing an industrial work trailer. My wife asked me if she thought she should notify the victim that we know who took his trailer. I said yes absolutely. She contacted the victim he was very appreciative.
My wife forwarded the post to a few of our neighbors that we are close with. I was astonished when two of them responded that we need to mind our own business. I have lived near these people for years. If someone were to steal their property I would absolutely notify them.
I understand the no snitching philosophy. To some degree anyway. But in my mind a trailer is a tool. If you steal a man’s tool you are hurting his ability to support his family. It scares me that my neighbors would have this mentality.
Are we wrong? Is this how society has become. Where we will sit by and let people be victimized?
You did the right thing. I doubt I would have notified neighbors, because of all the oddballs out there. But reporting it? FOr sure...

stxrus

Poster Extraordinaire
Definitely not snitching. She did the right thing and should be commended. Turning in a thief is the only morally correct thing to do.
Knowing what you now know about some of the “long time” neighbors I’d just keep it quiet from here on out. That is if something like this ever comes up again

dented

Doctor of Teleocity
Gold Supporter
You can just email the photos to the police nowadays. Those people that were shared the photos with might be friends with the perp, relatives or somewhat involved. They should have been at least slightly glad you did something to protect the neighborhood. Protect yourself and family. Now's the time for more cameras and security.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You did right and I would not socialize with those neighbors you mentioned... Not would I tell them if I saw someone steal their car.... Let them be the island they want to be.
+1

What's described is not snitching - police officers would laugh spontaneously if we suggested it was.

I think this response is sort of a "middling" one. I know some folks who would have to get out their shotgun and intercept such thieves - being careful not to hit the work trailer with too many pellets.

My Dad lost a motorcycle and trailer about 15 years ago, to a thief. I kept that information handy for years - until I tossed it when I thought about my Dad being too old to ride the thing anyway. He's 95.

Last edited: